The usual collection of interesting links from the depths of ye olde internets:
- “Look At What We’re Doing With Your Money, You Dick”: How Peter Thiel Backed An “Anti-Woke” Film Festival – An interesting, bizarre story with a weirdly tragic end. All of this seems overanalyzed to an extent, a consequence of everything being political now.
- My Service – What am I looking at here? “It’s not sweat. But it’s not exactly just water either.”
- Their Bionic Eyes Are Now Obsolete and Unsupported – This sort of thing will, sadly, become more common.
- Architectural Models in Film – Niche websites live on!
- Big, Invasive Parachuting Spiders Will Begin To Cover Entire East Coast, Experts Say – A big ol nope here. (In fairness, they don’t seem especially dangerous, but still, the whole “using their webs like balloons or parachutes to ride the wind” bit is vaguely terrifying.)
- Oscars: Academy Infighting Mounting Over Categories Controversy – The Oscars removed 8 categories from the live show, including seemingly big awards for Editing and Score. I’ve long been a proponent for leaving out the short films category from the broadcast, but this takes things too far. One thing I will continually point out here is that the Academy does good work on things like film preservation and storage, and that their budget is almost entirely based on the broadcast deal for the Oscars ceremony. Sadly, I don’t think the length of the broadcast is really the problem, it’s the movies they award and the dumb political posturing and whatnot that are turning off viewers.
- The Ultimate Engineered Solar System – More than you ever wanted to know about loading up a solar system with as many habitable planets as possible.
- Translation of FSB Whistleblower – You can never tell if this stuff is real, but there does seem to be some corroboration about this floating around. It’s interesting reading for sure, but I still think some skepticism is healthy. Whatever the case, we’re in for a strange few months…
That’s all for now…