Just some links I’ve found interesting on ye olde internets of late:
- Don’t Tell Scotty But Here’s An Oral History Of ‘Scotty Doesn’t Know’ – The story of one of the craziest cameos in cinema history (only a minor exaggeration).
- MoviePass Reminded Us How Much People Love Going to the Movies – Not sure I entirely buy some of the reasoning here. Yes, people liked seeing movies for free, that part makes sense. After that, I don’t think there’s much to it. Still, MoviePass is one of the wonders of our time. I’m not sure what they were thinking, but watching/participating in its demise is fascinating. I almost enjoy watching the increasingly panicky emails that come every week detailing how much more baroque the service is about to get in an effort to forestall inevitable doom. “Our expenses are way down!” Right, because I can’t actually see movies using the service anymore. Oh well, I had a good run. 27 movies for the price of, like, 6 tickets. Who knows where we go from here. AMC Stubbs might stick around, I have no idea how Sinemia will do, and if Regal actually jumps onboard with a similar program, we might be in good shape. Or MoviePass dies, AMC shelves their program, and we’re back to $15 tickets to Slender Man.
- “Cocaine, Speed, and Gallons of Jack Daniel’s”: The Last Rock ’n’ Roll Superstars Were … Korn? – This is actually good? I know, I’m confused too.
- The Lions of Kruger – Interesting piece about anti-poaching work in Africa…
- A Review of the ‘Hereditary’ Wikipedia Page, by Someone Who Is Too Afraid to See ‘Hereditary’ – At least he’s honest about it. I suspect many reviewers don’t even go this far:
… the film is a nightmarish buffet of intrafamilial terror, demonic possession, immolation, and decapitation widely regarded as one of the most sadistically horrifying movies in years. I can tell you this because I have read the Wikipedia plot summary for Hereditary multiple times, which is the only way I will ever personally experience any of that terror and decapitation, because no way am I actually watching that shit.
Good for him.
- Best Kick of FIFA 2018 – I have no idea what’s up with the soundtrack to this, but the video is amazing (note: not actually a soccer/football thing, just watch it, it’s like 10 seconds long.)
That’s all for now. I was hoping to do a Hugo results recap, but it’s not starting until late tonight, so you’ll have to wait until next week. I know you’re all crestfallen, and I apologize.