More interesting stuff from the depths of the internets.
- Notes on watching ALIENS for the first time again, with a bunch of kids – Whippersnappers gonna whippersnap.
They liked Ripley, Hicks, Frost, Apone, Bishop the android, and even Hudson, whose defeatism irritated them so much that I think they would’ve hated him if he weren’t so funny. “Somebody shoot that guy,” one said. Frost insisting that “it doesn’t matter” when the “poontang” is Arcturian confused a couple of kids. “It means he’s bisexual,” one explained.
The cigar-chewing Sgt. Apone’s oddly musical phrase “assholes and elbows” got the biggest laugh of the evening; two hours and twenty minutes later, the kids were quoting it as they brushed their teeth. Frost’s quip, “What are we supposed to use, man, harsh language?” made my son laugh for nearly a full minute.
Nice. Some of these kids are certainly more astute than I was at that age… Also of note, the updated response to apparent outrage that I guess everyone needs to write anytime they write an article that people read these days.
- Spaceprob.es – This website tracks the active probes in operation in and around our solar system, and has lots of fascinating info on each. Also of note: The complete recording that appears on the golden record of Voyager 1…
- Bank of Canada Urges Star Trek Fans to Stop “Spocking” their Fivers – Awesome trend in Canada where folks draw on 5 dollar bills to make an old prime minister look like Spock (which has become very popular in the wake of Leonard Nimoy’s passing).
- Freakiest Friday – Appreciating Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning – Contrarians gonna contrarian, and since this past Friday was the third Friday the 13th this year, I’m betting horror sites are running out of schtick to post about, so we end up with stuff like this. For what it’s worth, I’ve always liked the idea behind this installment, and there’s a bunch of things to like about it, but it does fall down on execution pretty hard (but then, so do most of the movies in the series, so there’s that).
- Cuil Theory – From my ever popular delicious tag idontknowwhatthefuckisgoingoninthisvideo (also, isn’t it quaint that I still use delicious? No? Ok, fine.)
That’s all for now. Busy week, probably no entry on Wednesday. Enjoy the respite.