A few years ago (has it really been that long), I asked for some recommendations for anime series to watch. While I haven’t completely exhausted the list, I have seen a good portion of them and I’ve started to get other recommendations. It’s getting hard to keep track of them all, so I figure I should create a list of future series (not unlike some other folks’ lists). The idea will be to maintain this post going forward, unless a better way of maintaining the list becomes available later. Before I list the series, some general info about what I’ve seen and what I’m looking for:
What I’ve seen: The Anime category archive contains all my posts covering the grand majority of the anime that I’ve seen so far. If you want a more concise list, I created one on ANN here (it can be sorted, though I’m not used to their rating system so some of them might be a little different). I’d recommend looking at the sorted ranking and if you’re curious about why I liked (or disliked) a given series, check out the category archive for full posts.
What I’m looking for: I want to watch a series, but not something too long. I don’t want to have to wade through 18 DVDs or anything absurd like that. In fact, I tend to prefer 13 episode series, though I can accept 26 episode series as well (generally, I feel 26 episode series have too much filler. This isn’t that bad when I like the characters, like in GitS, but it’s really bad when I don’t, like in Trigun). The series should contain a full story arc (i.e. no Twelve Kingdoms). In general, I prefer a good story to things like character studies or narrative wanking. In the past, I’ve asked for action packed and fun. While I certainly enjoy that, I’m not opposed to other genres. However, some things I’m not interested in at the moment: downer endings, post-apocalyptic settings, incomprehensible or severly obtuse plots (i.e. Serial Experiments Lain) and steampunk. Some things I do like: Science fiction, action, suspense, thrillers, horror, good stories and twists. Nothing comprehensive about my likes or dislikes, but I thought it might help. The series must be available via Netflix. Bonus points for a series available via Netflix Instant Streaming or Blu-Ray!
Yes – Means I’ll probably watch it
No – Means I probably won’t
Maybe – Means I’m unsure or not yet ready
Unsorted – Means I haven’t looked into it at all
Obviously this is very subjective activity. I’m not as allergic to recommendations as some folks, but that doesn’t mean I’ll watch anything! Anyway, here’s what’s on the list right now.
- Banner of the Stars II – Yes – I loved Crest and Banner of the Stars, so it makes sense to watch this. The only major problem right now is that disc 3 is on semi-permanent “Very Long Wait” status at Netflix. Perhaps I can find an… alternate… way of viewing those episodes.
- Samurai 7 – Yes – I like the original Kurosawa movie (and some of the remakes and updates), and this got a recommendation in the last post. Also, it’s one of the few Anime series available on BD.
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A’s – Yes – The big question here is whether or not I need to watch the first Nanoha series. Author asked the same question a while back and the consensus seemed to be to watch from the beginning (Ben also recommends starting with the first series). But then I’ve heard that the first few episodes of the first series are hard to watch and atypical of the series as a whole. Still, I tend to be a completist, so I’m leaning towards watching the whole thing (for the record, I’m in the camp that would recommend watching Crest before Banner, even though I did the opposite).
- Someday’s Dreamers – Yes – Based mostly on rave reviews and recommendations. Also, I could go for something “brain engaging” as someone put it.
- Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars – Maybe – Based mostly on high ratings of everyone else, I need to look into this one a bit more.
- Irresponsible Captain Tyler – Maybe – Recommended by my friend Roy, it seems like a bit of a farce. Not sure I’m in the mood for that right now, but the premise of the series does seem kinda fun.
- Samurai Champloo – Maybe – Another earlier recommendation. It’s made by the same folks who did Cowboy Bebop. Now, I enjoyed that series, but the ending was a bit sour for me (though it didn’t hit me nearly as hard as SDB). This series also seems generally different than CB anyway, so I want to find out a bit more before committing to it.
- Divergence Eve – Maybe – I have to admit that the fan service seems a bit strange, but I’ve heard it’s got good story, so there’s that.
- Neon Genesis Evangelion – Maybe – Supposedly a “classic” but I’ve been warned not to watch it until later, something that I’m inclined to agree with.
- Excel Saga – Maybe – I get the same vibe from this that I get from NGE above… so perhaps too early to watch this one.
- Great Teacher Onizuka – Unsorted
- Darker than Black – Unsorted
- Black Lagoon – Unsorted
- Gantz – Unsorted
- Elfin Lied – Unsorted
- Gungrave – Unsorted
- Texnolyze – No – Post apocalyptic
- Ergo Proxy – No – Post apocalyptic
- Last Exile – No – Bad reviews from Alex, Fledge and Shamus.
Well, that about covers it for now. Recommendations are welcome, as are comments about the movies on the list right now (particularly the Maybe and Unsorted ones).