- How Boilo Became a Coal Country Obsession - Forget mulled wine,
do it like Pennsylvania's coal country and make a mulled whiskey for the holidays. Traditionally served hot in "anything that will hold liquid". I love Wikipedia's notes:
Attend Christmas Eve Mass prior to drinking. Christmas day mass is generally out of the question.Heh. The recipes seem to mostly be kept under wraps, but the one referenced in the article was posted on twitter by the author...
- Voyager 1 Fires Up Thrusters After 37 Years - Amazing. Also of note, a documentary about the Voyager program called The Farthest has just been added to Netflix streaming. Well worth a watch.
- Report: Quentin Tarantino's STAR TREK Will Be R-Rated AF - I don't think I'd ever have picked Quentin Tarantino to direct a Star Trek movie, but somehow, he's interested. And Paramount might let him. This is, well:
Remember last week when we learned that Quentin Tarantino and JJ Abrams were teaming up for a new Star Trek movie and we all assumed we were hallucinating? Well, that actually happened, and now there's a new update on the situation.I still think I might be hallucinating. This can't be real, can it? Do I even want it to be real?
- Postmortem: Every Frame a Painting - One of the best Movie-related channels on YouTube is finishing their run. I can't believe that I've never linked to any of the videos, but they are great (this one about Jackie Chan is great), and this postmortem goes into how the channel was created and just how much work it takes to make even one of these short videos (i.e. an obscene amount of time).
- The 25 Best Films of 2017: A Video Countdown - David Erlich does these every year, and they're amazing even if, as a critic, he can sometimes be an insufferable snob and many of his choices reflect that. Still, always interesting...
- This interview with a zamboni operator is brilliant. Not quite badminton rant brilliant (watch the whole thing), but still worthy.
- PoLaR bEaR mAsCot SLiPs On Set ANd SuFfErS dEvAsTaTiNg PoLaR bEaR iNjUrIeS - This might be the dumbest thing I've seen all week. I love it.
- Tucker Carlson looks at all his guests like they're eating mayonnaise straight out the jar - Ok, no, this is the dumbest thing I've seen all week. Sometimes I love the internet.
- The God of the Snooker Table - I always find it amusing when something obscure, like Snooker, has some sort of bizarre underground following with magazines and millions of dollars of prize money, etc... To be sure, I know almost nothing about Snooker, but I do know this article is great.
As per usual, interesting links from the depths of ye olde internets: