I have a regular stable of podcasts that generally keep me happy on a weekly basis, but as much as I love all of them, I will sometimes greedily consume them all too quickly, leaving me with nothing. Plus, it’s always good to look out for new and interesting stuff. Quite frankly, I’ve not done a particularly good job keeping up with the general podcasting scene, so here’s a few things I caught up with recently (or am planning to listen to in the near future):
- Idle Thumbs – This is primarily a video game podcast, though there are some interesting satellite projects too. I have to admit that my video game playing time has reduced itself considerably in the past year or so, but I still sometimes enjoy listening to this sort of thing. Plus, the Idle Book Club is, well, exactly what it sounds like – a book club podcast, with a book a month. I’ve not actually listened to much of any of this stuff, but it seems like fertile ground.
- Firewall & Iceberg Podcast – The podcast from famed television critics Alan Sepinwall and Dan Fienberg. It focuses, not surprisingly, on television shows, which is something that I’ve been watching more of lately (due to the ability to mainline series on Netflix, etc…) Again, I haven’t heard much, but they seem pretty knowledgeable and affable. I suspect this will be one of those shows that I download after I watch a series to see what they have to say about it.
- Film Pigs Podcast – A movie podcast that’s ostensibly right in my wheelhouse, and it’s a pretty fun podcast, though I’m not entirely sure how bright it’s future really is at this point given that they seem to be permanently missing one member of their normal crew and publish on a bi-monthly schedule. Still, there’s some fun stuff here, and I’ll probably listen to more of their back catalog when I run out of my regulars…
Speaking of that regular stable, this is what it’s currently looking like:
- Radio Free Echo Rift (Pop Culture, Comics, Movies)
- The /Filmcast (Movies)
- Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit (SVU) (Movies)
- NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour (Pop Culture)
- Slate’s Culture Gabfest (Pop Culture)
- The Jeff Rubin Jeff Rubin Show (Nerdy Interviews)
- Filmspotting (Original Recipe) (Movies)
- Onion AV Club Reasonable Discussions (Defunct?)
There are a few others that I hit up on an inconsistent basis too, but those are the old standbys…