Well. That was interesting. Hosted by Dana Snyder (voice of Master Shake from Aqua Teen Hunger Force) and featuring a veritable plethora of other Adult Swim creators, Adult Swim 4 Your Lives was a show that defies any legitimate explanation. As such, I will simply list out some highlights, as well as some words that I would use to describe the night:
- The Paul Green School of Rock kicked things off. Yes, Paul Green was the inspiration for Jack Black’s character in the film The School of Rock.
- Skeletor singing show tunes (notably the song Tomorrow from Annie)
- In fact, lots of singing was happening tonight.
- Beethoven vs. Bach (featuring Camel Toe)
- Evil Monkey Boy (and hula hoops).
- Suggestive dancing.
- Twirling tassels.
- Preview of second season of Tom Goes to the Mayor and a new series, Minoriteam. I got a t-shirt!
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force Feature Film (!?) preview.
- Did I mention Burlesque?
- Dana Snyder was either putting on his Master Shake voice all night, or that’s really the way his voice sounds. Also, that man is crazy.
Basically the night was filled with Dana Snyder saying (usually singing) wacky stuff, followed by some sort of weird performance (usually featuring elements of the burlesque). It was quite a night, though from what I understand, last year’s event went on much longer and was even crazier. Nevertheless, if you’re a fan of Adult Swim and if such an event is ever going on near you, I’d recommend it. Unless the thought of watching Skeletor belt out a few show tunes turns your stomach. Then I’d suggest avoiding it.
Update 4.15.06: I’ve created a category for all posts from the Philadelphia Film Festival.