Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014

It has been a long, long time. I re-read some of the tandem stories from way back. The Rebel Fire Alarms -- what a classic. There was some very good writing there. Some of us missed our true calling I think. I'm fine. I live sometimes in Cambridge, England and Manila, Hong Kong and Singapore. I was living in Pasadena, CA (which I quite liked) and Cambridge MA (which I didn't). I'm in Manila now. We're having a typhoon. I have some typhoon downtime and am doing a nostalgia web trip. I trust everyone who pops in occasionally is in good health and not in too precarious an existence.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2014

gren! I have a feeling your arrival will trigger a nostalgic web trip for me as well. I haven't looked at Rebel Fire Alarms in quite a while. Every so often, I consider writing a novel or doing NaNoWriMo, but the timing never seems to work out and I have plenty of other things to do. Excuses, excuses. Lately, I've actually wanted to do a deep dive into the theory and practice of trolling and how things have changed from the days of usenet to our current social media mobs and the like. I feel like the idea has mutated into something subtly different (and/or completely misunderstood by modern folk).

Good to see you're still globe trotting. Surprised you didn't like Cambridge, though I guess it depends on when you were there (how sensitive are you to the weather?) One of these days, I need to take a trip to California and hit up a few cities. It's one of the, like, 10 states I actually have not been to...

Existence is mildly precarious but, you know, if there's no precariousness in your life, what's the point? Or something like that. I think I strained a neck muscle. My neck and shoulder are sore and apparently I'm not 23 years old anymore so it's taking its sweet time to heal. Otherwise doing well enough, I guess.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2014

It is a sign that we are getting old when we get nostalgic for usenet and the 1990s web. Those were the days. Trolls would make a good thesis topic if you wanted to go back to school. I think someone recently published some interesting research on trolls. I can't remember the name. I wouldn't have the energy to do that sort of thing anymore. I can't do a six hour fight anymore without a bottle of wine, a five course meal and a nap. I don't know how I pulled those 16 hour library marathons back in the day.

I was in Cambridge MA coming into summer when it was starting to get sticky, but I've lived in Manila, Bangkok and Jakarta so sticky doesn't bother me anymore. Weather does not bother me at all now. But I don't like insular, cliquey university towns like Cambridge MA. It is all about networking and image. If I had a kid, it wouldn't be going to Harvard. Pasadena and Caltec is much more welcoming and serious about what it does. So are Cambridge and Oxford, surprisingly. I love the Southern California climate. I didn't think I would lke LA, but I got hooked on the history. I even spent the weekends walking the streets. I love noir films. Chinatown is a favourite. I suppose if you like noir you have to like LA.

Thanks for the link to NaNoWriMo. Interesting. I might have a go at that someday. I don't think I write as wll as I used to. Business report writing is death to the imagination. Maybe a site like NaNoWriMo could help reignite the spark.

Yes, life is precarious. You learn that in a place like Manila. I did my neck too. I fell asleep on a pool chair in Krabi Thailand. Thai massage helps a lot. If you have some leave coming up I'd recommend Thailand. The US dollar buys a lot now and the Russians, Chinese and Japanese are staying home among mounting troubles. You''ll have Asia to yourself.

I have a 21 year old girlfriend here in Manila (I know what you are thinking. But men of means in this part of the world are expected to have a young mistress or girlfriend. People ask questions if you don't). She is a whip smart sociology student. She always dresses in black jeans and a black t-shirt. That is all she has in her wardrobe. Strange, but interesting girl. We went to see Gone Girl a while ago and ever since she has been reenacting a certain scene from that movie. You'll know the one. I check for boxcutters by the bed now. She likes dark humour, so I think she is just fucking with my head. I hope so, anyway. If you see a news feed with a heading like "Expat Businessman Found With Throat Slashed in Luxury Manila Condo" you'll know what happened to me.