Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011

So we're apparently in the midst of an Iceocolypse (eh, not as catchy as snowpocalypse, but I guess it works). I had an early meeting yesterday, and when I woke up I took a look out of my window. It was raining, but it looked like my care was fine. Of course, I get outside and see that it's practically an ice cube. The reason it looked fine was that the entire car was covered in a shell of ice. It took like 20 minutes to defrost/chip away the ice from the windshield, etc... Fun stuff. So far, no power outages. And the roads have been fine for me. But then, I drive like 8 miles a day (round trip). It's supposed to be clear tomorrow, but it's going down into the teens tonight and it won't be going up above freezing tomorrow, so I could be in for an icy day.

Unfortunately, this probably makes the prospect of traveling up the northeast this weekend a little less likely. It looks like most of the Philly contingent won't be making it up north for the super bowl... Stupid ice. We also had to postpone beer club earlier this week (this month's theme - beer with animals on the label, heh). Probably a good idea, as beer and ice don't mix, but still.

Anywho, my book reading continues to go well this year. Just finished Cognitive Surplus, my 5th book so far this year (tonight's blog post was indirectly inspired by it). Not sure what's next. I've been alternating between fiction and non-fiction, so it's apparently fiction's turn now. Still not sure what to go with. Probably the book my brother gave me for Christmas. All of these books I've been reading have been under 350 or so pages though. I have a feeling that when I hit some of the longer ones, I'll stagnate a bit.

How's everyone else doing? Well, I hope?

I think it's about time I log off and... oh, maybe play some video games or something. I've had this Ratchet and Clank game sitting on my shelf a while, I guess I should check it out!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2011

I am so so so glad it does not ice or snow here often. It snowed overnight, and it accumulated up to 3 inches in some places. Whenever that happens in Central Texas, everything shuts down. People do not know how to drive in these conditions, and our local governments don't have a big budget for road salt. Certainly no snow plows! But that's cool because then we get a nice snow day - no work, no school. It's been beautiful outside with the clear, sunny skies. We got out and enjoyed the snow before it started melting - took a walk along a trail near our neighborhood. I'm going to spend the majority of the day making jewelry.

I've not had many migraines lately. But I've been super itchy on my torso and part of my legs since January 18th. I thought I had a viral rash, and I was a little under the weather around the 24th, but the rash has stuck around and even grown worse. I went to the doctor Wednesday. She said there's actually no rash, though obviously I am very itchy. The most likely cause is an allergen, like from a new detergent, but I haven't used anything new. Same soap, shampoo, lotion, etc. The doc prescribed me a short course of steroids, and I should have felt an improvement by now, but I still itch. So I will need to finally see an allergist.
    I really hope I'm not allergic to something commonly found in products and/or clothing.

The last two Ratchet and Clank games were fun. Charles liked them a lot. There's a good variety of stuff. Plus the music can be pretty cool.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011

We had some freezing rain and ice on Tuesday. Not nearly as bad as in some places, but enough to make it pretty annoying to get to work. I had to leave 5-10 minutes early to make sure I had enough time to walk on the ice without slipping. And Wednesday a bunch of tree branches broke and landed on my front porch steps. All in all, pretty minor considering my family back in Tulsa was really dealing with a Snowpocalypse. They got something like 13 inches in one day with 30 mph winds and sub zero wind chills for the next few days. The drifts were ridiculous and the National Guard had to rescue people stuck on the highways. To give you an idea of how much Tulsa is not used to this, no one in my family owns a snow shovel. The city ran out of salt and won't be getting more for two more weeks. They started running fire trucks down residential roads to pack down the snow because they don't have enough plows. Luckily, all my family kept power so other than being stir crazy from being stuck at home for 4 days, they are doing well.

I've been sick all week with a cold and despite only being awake for maybe 10 of the last 24 hours, I'm still sick. Everything's just moved into my chest now. Ugh. This is the part of the year that is the worst for me. The weather is awful, I'm sick and it takes so much more motivation to do anything productive. I just want to hibernate until spring comes. I'm going to actually take a shower today and try to go to the library and make a run to Costco.

Being sick however, means I have had more time to read. I finished The Hunger Games Trilogy, which I recommend. The third book slows down a bit and loses the can't put it down pace, but that's because so much more is going on and you have to really pay attention. It's still a YA novel and the actual writing is not the best ever, but it's a great story.

I'm not very into the superbowl, but I am quite excited about the Puppy Bowl this afternoon on Animal Planet. Spencer, they usually have kitten cheerleaders during half-time. And last year I think they had bunnies or hamsters or something in a "blimp". It's quite possibly the cheesiest, cutest bit of television ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011

The first time it snows around here is a nightmare. We get snow semi-often, but it's not like we're a snow city like they have further north, so there are lots of people who either don't drive well in these conditions, or they, like, forget how to drive every year or something. It's really weird. First time it snowed this year it was like 1 inch, but it was in the afternoon so everyone was still at work. It took me 40 minutes to get home, which is really weird considering that it normally takes me 5-10 minutes. It took me 20 minutes to get out of my parking lot. I took one snow day last year (for the snowpocalypse!) and none so far this year. Since I live so close and own a 4WD car, I don't really have a good excuse. I almost wish the state would close down, like you say. I suspect that would get pretty old pretty fast though. The first time it snows, you go out for a walk and enjoy the snow, etc... The tenth time it snows, you start to show a little crazy. Or something.

Sometimes they change formulas of detergents and whatnot. I know that almost all dishwashing detergents have removed phosphates, for instance. Phosphates make a detergent work better though, so they don't advertise it so much. Not that I think you're lathering up with dishwashing detergent, just that maybe something else changed their formula as well:p I hope it clears up though, as persistent itching can get really annoying really fast!

I'm almost finished the first PS3 ratchet and clank. It's quite fun.

There's apparently some sort of plague going around at work. I don't think I've caught a full-fledged version of it, but I'm getting hit with something. I feel like I've been on the verge of getting sick for the past week or so. You know how it is. A tickle in the back of my throat. A slight backup in the sinuses. But it hasn't progressed. I've gargled with salt-water a few times, which I've actually found helps in these situations, but it doesn't seem to have stopped whatever this is.

Is The Hunger Games like a less-violent version of Battle Royale? Cause that's what it sounds like. I've got more than enough on my plate for now, despite having made pretty good progress against the queue (4 out of 12 down, and I've only added 2 to the queue in that time!) so I probably won't be able to get to it for a while, but it might be nice to hit some YA stuff after I tackle some of the bigger/more complex stuff in the queue.

Puppy bowl sounds pretty awesome. How long of a show do they manage to squeeze out of that premise?

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2011

I don't think I know Battle Royale? The premise of the Hunger Games is that there's an evil, draconian Government that as punishment for a revolt almost a hundred years in the past forces each of the districts that revolted to send children as tributes to compete in a sort of Survivor like competetion, except they fight to the death and the last one standing gets to return as a champion and live in wealth in comfort.

The Puppy Bowl lasts 2 hours. However, I was a little disappointed with how much blatant product placement there was this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2011

I've only ever seen the movie of Battle Royale, but there is a book (I'm not sure how great the english translation is, but it looks like a long book) that was written like 10 years ago. The background is a little different, but the basic premise is similar. Basically, a class of high schoolers goes on a a class trip, but instead, the teacher (working with the government) takes them to an isolated island and informs them that they must kill each other until only one remains. It's not a happy-go-lucky movie. Sounds very similar to The Hunger Games though.