Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

I spent the better part of the night trying to figure out why comments weren't working at all on my blogs. No idea what happened, I just happened to notice that the "Sign in" link was hanging when clicked. After looking around for a while, I went to the MT support forums and started a thread about the issue I was having.

Then I figured out the problem about 10 minutes after that (I always do this - bang my head against something for 2 hours, finally resolve to get help from someone else, post a question, then figure it out myself 10 minutes later). I know no one here cares, but the issue was with file permissions.

But anyway, yeah, comments are freakin annoying. Still trying to figure out how to open anonymous comments up again without drowning in spam. I may have already mentioned that. Damn.

And I see that it's already 11:30. Crap. I wanted to get some reading done tonight. Spence, I'm about 60 pages into Suspicions of Mr Whicher and very much enjoying it:) I'll probably finish it sometime next week...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

You know, I think every time I've set up something for somebody that has a comments feature (blog or whatever), I always end up having issues, and it ALWAYS turns out to be the file permissions, and I always think next time I won't forget but then this sentence starts again.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011

I think a lot of web hosts will disable comments functionality by changing the permissions to 000 if they detect a lot of traffic to the comments file (or if it's using up an inordinate amount of CPU), so even if you install correctly and ensure the permissions are right, they could break later (I'm virtually certain that's what happened to me). In any case, permissions are at least easy to fix, even if you feel like an idiot when you realize that's what it was after a couple of hours of troubleshooting.

~tallman