Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010

So rather than continuing to spam the forum with posts on beer, I figured I should just out and start a beer blog. I have no idea if it will last, or what I should call it (Kaedrin Beer Blog? Beerspotting? Damn, I stink at coming up with names for stuff - anyone have any ideas?), but I wanted to get everyone's (all 4 of you:p) opinion on the matter. I still need to do a bunch of development on the look and feel of the place, but it's here:

http://beer.kaedrin.com/

Right now, it's just got an intro. I need to come up with a better name for the place, and I need to spiffy up the masthead/design a bit (right now, just using a default MT theme). But it's a start.

So what say you?

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

Ooh, I like "beerspotting" myself!

Love the idea too, look forward to reading it =)
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

Unfortunately, beerspotting appears to be taken. Not that you can't have two blogs with the same name, but still. Also, while I like Trainspotting, I haven't seen it in over 10 years and thus, it's not super representative of me or anything. Also, I was just copying from Filmspotting:p

Man, I stink at naming things:p Kaedrin Beer Blog is pretty boring, but that's what it is now. I should think of some other options...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010

Yeah, true, I barely remember Trainspotting, and I'm sure I'd look at it completely differently at 30 than at 18.

I'm digging the beer blog, though! Good fun to read, and gives me some recommendations to try.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010

Yeah, I'm thinking it will remain Kaedrin beer blog for the time being. I seem to be updating this much more frequently. There' s not much pressure to write a quick review of something. This will probably be good for me.

I'm only really going over new stuff I'm trying, not my favorites, though perhaps I should just take this as an opportunity to revisit some of my favorite discoveries from this year (already have a bottle of Westmalle Tripel and a La Fin Du Monde in the fridge, which could make for a big night).

I don't want to get too boring with the posts though. I'm not a big fan of blogs that only feature reviews. Still, I'm sure there's a few things I can post without too much trouble, just to keep things interesting.

Also a fair amount of work getting the design/links straightened out. Right now, I'm just using some default MT templates/styles/themes (or whatever they call em), and I'd like to keep it that way so that I can change up templates/styles/themes if I need to with minimal effort. I do want to come up with something a little more artistic for the header as well, which is a bit of problem since I am no artist. Maybe I can cobble something together though.

Anyway, glad the blog has at least one reader for now:) If I ever get around to it, I'll probably review some Scotch/Bourbon/Whisky there too!

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010

I gave my boyfriend the link to your blog, since he enjoys reading lots of beer blogs. And he can comment much more knowledgeably than I can. I pretty much can give thumbs up or down based on personal preference and that's about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2010

I'm having issues leaving comments on your beer blog. I sign in using google, type up a comment, submit it, and it tells me it won't post it, because I've submitted "too many comments in a short span of time." Is one too many?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

Should be fixed now. Apparently the anti-spam measures I took on my regular blog don't play nicely with the authentication schemes built into the newer versions of Movable Type. I turned it off. Hopefully this won't totally screw with my regular blog's relatively spam-free existence. I suppose I should really update the regular blog to use the same authentication schemes as the beer blog. MT's template/style/theme system is pretty complicated though, so it's not as easy as it seems. Will need to play around a bit.

Anyway, you should be able to submit comments now:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010

Awesome, will do! I had some good beer talk tonight, my buddy who is a commercial brewer was in town.

And I may become a "Scotch consultant" for a brand new high class wine and Scotch bar that just opened up down in Putnam, CT. No pay exactly to speak of, but I'm hoping it will lead to the occasional free dram or two...we shall see :)
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010

Bitchin! What's your beer brewer buddy up to?

"Scotch Consultant"? Is there a name for that? Like a sommelier, but for scotch? I actually recently heard that there's something like a sommelier for beer, but I forget what the name is. There's some sort of certification for it though.

If I'm ever in or near Putnam, CT, I'll have to stop by this bar of yours though. "I'll have whatever your Scotch consultant recommends!"

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

I'm still having the same issue leaving comments on the beer blog :(

Jeff, my brewer friend is very excited to be moving to VT and to start working for a better, smaller brewery. He looks forward to getting a chance to really play...he wants to do a big ol' IPA :)

Scotch consultant thus far means writing small descriptions of scotches and overall regions to give customers and inexperienced waitstaff a better idea on things...nothing too glamorous, though I hope it will lead to me making recommendations and perhaps a free dram or three. After all, how can I write about the ones I haven't tried yet ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2010

Your comment on the IPA post has shown up though... I think it does default to showing you a screen that has a "thanks for your comment" type message, which looks similar to the error page, but apparently showed up fine. You might need to reload the post to see the comment if your browser cached it...

I found out a little while ago that there's apparently a brewery right here in West Chester. Right now, all they make is a pale ale which I haven't been able to find (not that I've looked all that hard), but it would be cool to get to know those folks... I still haven't made my way to a brewshop and bought the homebrew stuff, but maybe this weekend...

I suspect free scotch would be well deserved if you're helping out like that. Good luck!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2010

Yup, they seem to be showing up now. :)

I've been wanting to do the home brewing thing for years...it takes a fair bit of work, though, and I really would have nowhere to actually do it.

I did have some wicked homebrew cider this past weekend...another homebrewing friend made it. Nicely spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg and stuff...perfect holiday cider:)

He also has a ginger beer down that should be ready in a few weeks...that will be interesting, I've never had the real thing before.