Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010 edited

I'm sure you're all sick of my babbling about beer of late, but what can I say. I like beer:p

This post is separate from the other because it's a list of beers that I want to try based on various things I've heard about. Some of these are hard to find/recognize,some are just beers that I don't want to forget about when I'm at the store. Without further ado:

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier

Alesmith IPA

Affligem Noel

Anchor Christmas Ale
    Anchor Steam - Got it! Thumbs up!

Boxcar Brewing Original Ale (Local West Chester beer!)

The Bruery Saison Rue
    The Bruery Coton - Got it!

Chimay Blue - Got it!

Dieu du Ciel Route des Epices

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron - Got it!
    Dogfish Head 120 Min IPA

Flying Dog Kerberos Tripel

Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse (Wheat Beer/Summer)

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout

Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja Artisan Amber (thx foucault)

La Trappe Tripel (Koningshoeven)

Leelanau Whaleback White

Marin Brewing Company IPA

Ommegang Tripel Perfection
    Ommegang Ommageddon

Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale (not sure if this will ever be available here, but whatever)
    Oskar Blues Old Chub

Port Brewing Shark Attack Red

Pretty Things Jack D'Or

Rodenbach (thx foucault)

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

Russian River Pliny the Elder
    Russian River Pliny the Younger
    Russian River Supplication
    Russian River Damnation - Got it!
    Russian River (anything by this brewery!)

Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale

Sixpoint Sweet Action

St. Bernardus Tripel

Stone Imperial Russian Stout
    Stone IPA
    Stone Double Bastard
    Stone Old Guardian
    Stone Vertical Epic 10/10/10

Southern Tier Creme Brulee

Trappist Westvleteren (anything by this brewery)

Tröegs Nugget Nectar
    Tröegs Splinter Gold
    Tröegs Scratch 33 (or any from the Scratch series)

Trumer Pils

Victory Storm King Stout
    Victory Helios (had it before, but must compare to a bottle of Fantome)

Weihenstephaner

Holy shit, that's a lot of beer, and I was pretty strict about what I included here, too!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

I've had some of these:

Chimay blue is good, much like the red, but with a more developed flavor. I think it's worth the little bit extra in price.

Anchor Steam is a unique flavor, no dobt due to the "steam brewing " process, whatever that actually entails. Anchor's porter is deceent but unremarkable.

Dale's Pale Ale is excellent, though I'm getting suspicious of the whole "good beer but in a can" thing; it's beginning to feel a lot like some sort of ironic hipster trendy thing, like drinking Pabst for the "irony" value. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it...what truly counts is that Dale's is a clean, crisp, easy drinking beer, great in the summertime.

St. Bernardus Tripel is an awesome, huge Abbey ale. My brother and I tend to get this around the holidays...it makes me think of old-fashioned Christmas type stuff. Good stuff!

Might I also recommend:

Rodenbach, which is a Belgian (specifically Flemish, I think) red-brown sour ale. I love sour beers, and I think this is one of the best. My semi-local brew pub does thier own variant of this, which doesn't touch the original, but is good in its own right. Sours can be off putting, but I was hooked at my first sip.

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja Artisan Amber ale. This is another Flemish Red, and also something of a sour, but with a sweet, malty balanced flavor. Jolly Pumpkin is out of Michigan I think, and this may not be as authentic as the Rodenbach, in terms of an authentic Flemish sour, but I think the stuff is liquid crack, it's so tasty. Jolly Pumpkin has several different beers out, all in Belgian styles. This one is my absolute favorite in taste, and also has a pirate cat on the label.

Cheers,

foucault
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2010

Dammit. Actually, I mean, wahoo, more beers. Seriously, the more beers the better. I can't get enough.

I still haven't had good beer in a can, but I'm willing to give Dale's a chance. Pabst isn't worth it, even for the ironic value, whether from the can or the bottle (seriously, they make bottles of that stuff - they also make bottles of Natty for some reason). One of my favorite beer stories from college involves pabst though. Junior year, I'm moving in. My parents are helping me unpack, and I'm unpacking the food. I go over to the fridge, open it up, and it's filled, from top to bottom, with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Thank god I was the one unpacking the food.

I'm trying to think if I've had a beer that I consider super sour. The only thing I can think of are lemony saisons, like Fantome, which is only sour because lemons are sour. So I'm going to add both Rodenbach and Jolly Pumpkin to my list, even if I don't think I'll be able to find them anytime soon...

I don't think of Tripels as a Christmas type beer... but then, I guess if you tried it then and loved it, it makes sense! I'm hoping that I can get some holiday special batches this year, from Anchor and maybe even Affligem (though I'm doubting I'll manage that one - don't even know if it ever makes its way to the states).

I made a trip to Pinocchio's this past weekend and got:

Anchor Steam - Already drank it. For a "regular" beer, it's surprisingly good, with a unique taste. Perhaps not entirely my thing, but whatever.
    Chimay Blue - I don't really need to justify this!
    Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron - This is the one the guy aged in Palo Santo wood that he had flown in from South America. Looking forward to this.
    Dogfish Head Midas Touch - This one is based on one of the earliest beer (mead? wine?) recipes
    Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard - Had this before, it's really good.
    Russian River Damnation - Based simply on the reputation of the brewery and the fact that I can never find their beers anywhere around here.
    The Bruery Coton - Another one based on reputation of brewery and the fact that I never see their beers around here. It's 14% alcohol though, not sure what to make of it. Guy at Pinocchio's says its good, but it's "boozy" hehehe.
    Dogfish Head The Wrath of Pecant - Simply because they used the same font that they used for Wrath of Kahn. Also, it's Dogfish Head and they're always worth trying. Apparently this one was made in collaboration with the guys who own BeerAdvocate, which is strange. I mean, craft brewing world is weird enough. Craft brewers collaborate on beer all the time, despite the fact that they're technically competing with one another in the marketplace (apparently they don't see it that way - which makes sense when craft brewing is like 3% of the market - they have plenty of room to expand without hurting one another), but collaborating with their critics? Now that's odd.

~tallman