Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Holy shit, it's been a log time since I was on here! I spent the last year or so with no real internet connection, and rather busy...finally broke down a couple of months ago, and now have a free netbook and somewhat cool Verizon wireless internet.

So what is everyone up to?

It's been a busy year for me...I got married (in a kilt no less...there are various pictures on facebook and whatnot), and this week, we found out that Erin is pregnant, which I'm absolutely thrilled about, but still trying to absorb...

I still work at the same crappy job (working on that, though), and am still exploring the world of Scotch, one expensive bottle at a time. I've been running on and off, without much consistency...lots of trouble with my shins and feet...running may not be the best activity for me anymore, really, but I do still love it.

I hope everyone else is well...I can actually check back in on the forum now!

-foucault
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

I saw your pics on FB but didn't congratulate you, I think. So many congratulations! And now a baby on the way?! Yay! Have you and Erin talked much about kids yet?

I liked the kilts on you and your groomsmen. We have a friend who is very proud of his Scottish heritage and has worn kilts to formal-ish parties. My favorite though is his really nice leather boots.

I don't enjoy running for that reason - it kills my shins. But, I do usually enjoy those elliptical machines, where it's a similar motion but without the impact. Sometimes the stride is too big for my little legs though. I haven't been exercising since I started fostering cats. If I'm not working, cleaning, or taking care of the cats, I rest. Right now I have 5 tiny kittens, one adult foster, one temporary adult foster, and one temporary older kitten foster. With our four cats, that's a total of 12 cats in the house. They wear me out.

I just took a long break to go wrangle kittens back into the cat room. Then another in isolation crying his head off so now he's in the office with me. Also had to replace the litter in one of the boxes. You can see videos of my life fostering at http://www.youtube.com/dirsect

I've been making some time for reading. All of the Sherlock Holmes stories, and a few other things that haven't been worth talking about. I really need to set aside a big chunk of time to make at least one necklace for my work's fundraising silent auction next month. I'm coordinating around 75 volunteers for that shindig too. Gah, I have too much to do and not enough time!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010

Dude! Congrats. I think I may have seen some kilt pics, but I didn't realize it was from a wedding, so congratulations. And the little foucault that's on his/her way too!

I don't like running either, because it does impact my legs more than doing something like an elliptical... On the other hand, doing elliptical sucks because I'm stuck in a gym/my basement. At least with running you can get out in the fresh air. Or something. I'm not that familiar with fresh air these days. Is it still fresh?

Actually, I've been pretty good with the exercise of late. Well, not this past week. I was in Toronto, steadfastly not exercising, but before that there was a solid 2.5 months of exercise, at least 5 days a week. I exercised yesterday, but couldn't find the time today. This is traditionally a challenging time for me. I do much better with a schedule. Once I start missing days... I tend to keep missing them. But hopefully things will slow down and I'll have a chance to get back into a rhythm.

You should tell us about scotch. I've been much more of a beer drinker this year than a scotch drinker, but I did get to a point where I can drink it straight without wincing. I have a bottle of 18 year old Balvenie (I think that's what it's called, and I'm pretty sure the date on the bottle is older than 18 years too) and I rather like it. It's spicier than Johnny Walker Black. More of a bite. Good though. I like it. But then, I have no real basis for comparison here.

Kittens are cute. That is all. I've only read The Hound of the Baskervilles. I have to admit that I was never all that impressed with Sherlock Holmes. Sure, he had impressive powers of deduction, but us in the reading audience never really had the ability to put things together by ourselves because we never knew about the evidence until after Holmes explains himself. Then again, I saw a couple episodes of House recently, and I enjoyed them, so maybe I should give Holmes another try. Great, more books to read. Then again, I sometimes have engineers disease when watching something like House (i.e. incessant nitpicking, which I always take as a sign of a deeper dislike).

Also, spending a year without an internet connection. I don't know what that would be like. It gives me pause, because I can't really imagine a scenario for me where that would happen. Granted, it's my job, but still... even if I were to get a related job that didn't require an internet connection, I'd still totally get one. I'd give up lots of other things before I gave up internet. I'd definitely give up cable. I'd probably be a lot more selective about video games, movies, music, books and such (i.e. I would actually finish reading all these books on my shelf without constantly adding to the unread pile). Internet would be one of the last things I gave up. Strangish.

Tolkein never admitted to there being modern themes in his work, but you know how the one ring gives you power when you wear it, but that it also hurts you, makes you vulnerable, and you easily become addicted to it? Yeah, the one ring represents technology.

Ok, it's almost 2:30 and I'm babbling about symbolism in Tolkein. I should go to bed. Great to hear from you foucault!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010

I decided to start reading the Sherlock Holmes stories because 1) I was curious, and 2) I thought it would be an easy, quick read for when I'm exhausted early in the evening, as I often am these days. But no, the latter turned out to not be entirely true. If I read one story all at once, I'd be okay. But there are enough little details about all of the characters involved that if I read it when I'm really tired, but don't finish the story, I will be unable to piece it back together the next time I pick it up. And I agree with you about being unable to solve the mystery oneself because of Conan Doyle leaving out crucial data. Oh well.

I'm actually afraid to read a really good book these days because I have such a hard time putting it down, but I need to sleep! If I don't get the requisite 8 hours, I'm no good at work the next day.

I think I could actually go without the Internet if I had plenty of other things to occupy my mind. But, even aside from work, the Internet is pretty important for my fostering and conducting other personal business. While I would miss my connections with friends and interesting news or stories, I would most miss the ease of finding information, like interactive maps, movie times, phone numbers, etc. Otherwise I would need to consult a newspaper, phonebook, AND atlas (or get good driving directions from another person).

I like being disconnected. I need it to be sane. My sister keeps suggesting I use one of those apps for telling everyone where I'm at. Why in the world would I want to do that? I still choose to not answer my phone when I'm not in the mood to talk. I realize that no one is actually going to zip on over to where I am or try to rob my house, but I like that feeling of privacy. It's one of the reasons why I don't wear a traditional bathing suit.

And now it is my time to get in bed! I hope I sleep better tonight. Even if I'm exhausted, I still sometimes wake up repeatedly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010

Thanks all! Spence, we have talked pretty thoroughly about kids...we both knew we wanted kids, it was just a matter of when. About 2 months before the wedding, we got talking, and decided we would start trying after the wedding...and a month and a half later, here we are. It's exciting, and a little hard to wrap my brain around =)

Kittens are very cute, and sometimes more than a handful...I still prefer them to dogs. We have two, and they're (mostly) pretty good cats. I think it's cool that you're taking care of so many, though I wouldn't be able to stay sane with that many cats around.

I read the Sherlock Holmes stories as a kid, and liked them, but didn't love them. They're kinda thick prose, and clunky stories, though the plots are intricate and the characters cool. I watched the recent movie and was underwhelmed, though most of my friends liked it. I didn't think it was bad, just not what I had hoped for it. I haven't been reading anything much exciting lately...non-fiction, mostly. It's been ages since I read a good piece of fiction.

tallman, I think I have a quickie Scotch primer I wrote somewhere. If I can find it, I'll post it, and if not, I'll attempt to recreate it. Scotch is a big enough subject that it deserves a thread all it's own. I'm no expert, but I can certainly make some recommendations...Balvenie is amazing stuff, and one of the best, IMO. I also created a Whiskey Appreciation Society on Facebook that was active for a few months, but my friend, the most active contributor and most experienced taster, ditched Facebook and all of his contributions disappeared with him. It's still out there...I'll try and find it, and send you an invite or something. It's not much, especially without my friend, but it has a few reviews. There are some good sites out there as well, and I think my friend may have started his own Scotch blog...I should check that!

Surprisingly, I didn't really miss the internet that much. I mean, I used it at work to check my email, so I wasn't out of touch completely, and I missed being able to stop in here and read xkcd.com, but most of it...I didn't really miss it. We read a lot, watched a lot of netflix, and surprisingly pretty much enjoyed being disconnected. I'm glad to have it back, but I'm with you Spence, I like being able to disconnect from the grid.

It is good to be back, I missed you guys = )