Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited

So I may have mentioned that I've somewhat recently (as in, earlier this year) discovered a local liquor store (well, it's in Delaware, but not that far) that has a great selection of beer, available in single bottles. This allows me to sample all sorts of stuff without having to buy an entire case and get stuck with something I don't like. As such, I've sampled more different beers in the past year than I probably have in most of my life (well... maybe not, but much more this year than any other single year).

And a few of us at work have a monthly beer and wine club thingy where we go to a local BYOB and everyone brings something interesting to drink, so I've also been sampling a lot of other beers there (along with the occasional wine, though I'm still pretty clueless when it comes to wine).

My first inclination is that there has to be some sort of social website for tracking beers, but the closest thing I can find is BeerAdvocate and RateBeer. They're great websites, but they require you to write a full review of each beer in order to track stuff, and I'm just not that dedicated (or snobby enough to actually know what the heck they're talking about most of the time). So far, I've just been keeping the empty bottles so I wouldn't forget, but at this point, there's a lot of them, so I took some pictures and plan to talk about most of them in this thread at some point.

Here are some pictures:

Beer

More Beer

And yet more beer!

Hooray for pictures! I plan to talk more about each beer in this thread.

For a taste (pun intended!), here are my favorites from this batch:

La Fin Du Monde (has always been one of my faves)
    Affligem Dubel
    Allagash Fluxus
    Guldenberg Belgian Abbey Beer
    Pangaea
    Westmalle Dubbel
    Lucifer Belgian Ale

More comments will be made on each, but it's getting late and I should probably go to bed now or something.

Feel free to comment on any beers you know and love:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

Ok, so to start, I think I'll do this by brewery. And we shall start with brewery Unibroue! It's located in French Canadia, and they make some good stuff. The beers I've had are mostly in the second screenshot above, though my favorite is in the third screenshot:

1. La Fin Du Monde - One of my all time favorite beers, it's a belgian tripel style beer (light color and hazy). It's perhaps perfectly balanced between sweetness, hoppiness, a little bit of spice and general good taste. The carbonation sets it off well too, as well as the high alcohol volume (9%), which unfortunately means that drinking one of these big bottles can lead to the desire for a good nap. Anyway, an exceptional beer, and it even has a great name: it translates to "The End of the World". Given the name and high alcohol content, this makes for a great last beer of the night! Highly recommended. tallman stamp of approval and other convincing endorsements!

2. Maudite - Very sweet, but tempered by heavy dark ale flavors and strong alcohol volume (8%). It's a solid winter beer, I think. My only complaint is that the carbonation could be a bit off. Not flat, to be sure, but perhaps not enough. The name means "damned" and the label features what looks like the devil and a flying canoe. Apparently there's a legend of a bunch of travelers who struck a deal with the devil to fly their canoe home (flying being quicker and all) for Christmas. Of course, once they were on their way, one of them renounced their pledge, so they all plummeted to their deaths. Yay for happy legend time!

3. Ephemere (ok, there's a lot of those fruity French accents and crap in the name, but I'm too lazy to do the HTML. Stupid French with their stupid accents.) Anyway, this is a lot like Maudite, except that it's got a very distinct apple flavor. One might even say an overpowering sweetness from that apple flavor. Decent, but drinking an entire 750ml bottle gets a bit cloying after the first glass (unless you really love sweet drinks - but remember, you're reading about a guy who loves coke). A solid beer and preferable to crap like coors or bud, but not something super special that you need to get out and try.

4. Trois Pistoles - Three Pistols! Yeah, so again, like Maudite, but even sweeter. Another dark strong ale, it tastes great, but there's no way I could finish an entire 750 ml bottle of this. But again, a really nice winter beer. High alcohol warms you up, dark heavy taste with a lot of sweetness, and would make a great bottle to open among friends and share during the holidays. Or something.

And thus concludes my tour of brewery Unibroue. For now! On my lists of "Must try if I can find it" is Don de Dieu ("Gift of God" a bold name if ever there was one).

Recommendation: If you like belgian tripels, it doesn't get much better than La Fin Du Monde. Even if you don't, it's worth a try. If you're really into sweet, fruity beers, the others I mentioned are ok, so long as you don't attempt to drink the entire 750 ml size bottle (a single 12 oz would probably be fine)
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited

Brewery numero dos: Brooklyn Brewery!

I've had a few of their standards, and one specialty:

1. Brooklyn Lager - A solid lager, would make for a good session beer, but I'm totally spoiled by Yuengling Lager, which nothing can beat in my mind.

2. Brooklyn Sorachi Ace - A good beer, but I feel like I must be missing something. Everything I read about this beer indicates that it's supposed to be awesome, but I came away unimpressed.

Update: 3. Octoberfest - Another solid lager. I don't want to say "unremarkable", but I don't really have anything special to say about it. It's worth drinking though.

I should probably note at this point that unless I specifically say that something is bad, the beers in this thread are still miles ahead of most crap you find in a bar. So, no, I won't turn down a Sorachi Ace or anything, in fact, I would welcome it and congratulate you on your fine taste. Still, I was expecting more.

I know I've had other Brooklyn varieties, and I've never had anything bad from them, but I can't remember the others. Worth trying out, but not exactly transcendent beers (though the reviews for Sorachi Ace seem to indicate that others enjoyed it A LOT more than I did, so who knows).
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010

Brewery the third: Allagash! Based on Portland, Maine, they're one of the few American breweries specializing in Belgian styles (the other main competitor is Ommegang, which is probably my favorite brewery and remains so to this day - perhaps a future post on them).

So I've tried several Allagash beers:

1. Allagash Fluxus 2009 - "Ale brewed with sweet potatoes and black pepper." Sounds like a gross combo, but it most certainly is not. I'm not sure I would give it an unqualified recommendation, but it is certainly one of the more unique tasting beers I've ever had. Very spicy, with a good sweetness balancing it out. Very carbonated (if I remember correctly, it's been a few months) as well. Not quite a session beer, but well worth a try (750 ml can be rough on your palate after a while, but I still very much enjoyed this and am looking forward to trying it again - alas, it's a limited brew, and apparently changes every year!)

2. Allagash Confluence Ale 2010 - Apparently another limited batch, but it's a wonderfully tasty beer. A little lighter than the Fluxus, it's not quite as powerful, but it's still well balanced and tasty. One note: it's probably not worth the price tag (it was $20 for a 750ml bottle!) In fact, all of Allagash's limited batch beers seem to be rather costly, ranging in the $15-$20 range.

3. Allagash White - Part of their "Classic" series, this one should always be available. It's a wheat beer, light in color and not nearly as strong as anything else on this beer log (which is weird, since it's still 5.2%, which is relatively high compared to "normal" stuff). As wheat beers go, it's quite good. Spicy, tasty, and yet refreshing and light. Great summer beer. And because it's one of their "classics", it's much cheaper than the limited batch stuff. Worth a try.

4. Allagash Tripel Reserve - I'm a big fan of tripels, so I do like this beer a lot. However, I have to admit that it's not my favorite (which probably remains La Fin Du Monde or even Golden Monkey). Still, it's a solid beer and worth a shot (it's another of the "classics")

5. Allagash Four Ale - Made with 4 types of malts and 4 types of hops... meh. Color me unimpressed. Perhaps just not my kinda beer.

All in all, I find that Allagash is a very interesting brewery, willing to try new and interesting things. Unfortunately, that means they can be hit or miss at times, and they really adventurous stuff tends to be expensive too. In a battle between Ommegang and Allagash, I think Ommegang always comes out the winner, but I'm still intrigued by Allagash's experimentation.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2010

Best Brewery Evar! Brewery Ommegang, in Cooperstown, NY. I actually went there with some friends once and saw the brewery. It's surprisingly small, but a good time was had by all.

1. Hennepin - Belgian farmhouse ale/saison style beer. It's a light colored beer, not as cloudy as a lot of Belgians, but it's very tasty. It's also got a bit of a bite. Not what you'd call spicy, nor is it tremendously hoppy, but I think that's where the bite comes from. Nothing overpowering there though (i.e. nothing like an IPA or, uh, pepper or anything really spicy). It has a sorta citrus flavor too, but again, not overpowering. Extremely well balanced. One of my favorite beers of all time! According to the guy at the brewery, it's good with fish or chicken (makes sense - kinda like white wine).

2. Rare Vos - Amber ale, but similar in style to Hennepin. It's a little darker and it's got less citrus taste and less of a bite, but it's still very flavorful and well balanced. Another one of my favorites. According to brewery guy, it's great with greasy bar foods (from anecdotal experience, this is true).

3. Abbey Ale - A dark, dubbel style beer. Deep brown color, very tasty. I want to say it reminds me of molasses, but I don't believe I've ever had molasses before. Regardless, it's got a very rich flavor, and very good. Brewery guy says it's good with steak (again, from experience, this is very true).

4. Three Philosophers - Even darker, this one is a quadrupel and it's a very strong beer (10% or so alcohol). It's made with Cherry lambic, but once again, while you can really taste the cherry, it's not at all overpowering (I've had other belgian brews that say they have cherry lambic, and they're very fruity and overpowered by the cherry flavor). Like the Abbey Ale, it's got a very rich flavor, and brewery guy says it's really good with sweets (i.e. desert, chocolate, etc...)

5. Witte - A wheat beer. Light color, typical wheat beer taste with a citrus twist (which, actually, isn't really unusual for wheat beers). Probably their least remarkable beer, but nevertheless, quite good. Great for summer drinking. Not something to go out of your way for, and you could probably get a similar experience with a cheaper beer, but it's not like it's bad or anything.

6. BPA - Belgian Pale Ale. I posted about this one on the blog. It's a "specialty brew" so I'm not sure if it will be around for long, but honestly, I wasn't tremendously impressed. Not as hoppy as an IPA, but also not quite as tasty as Ommegang's other beers. It's a weird mixture. It's like someone poured an IPA into one of Ommegang's other beers or something. Unlike most of Ommegang's stuff, the hops here are kinda overpowering. An interesting experiment, but not something I see myself turning to very often.

7. Bière De Mars - Again posted on my blog. This one is another limited batch and may not be around for long, but I got my hands on some. It's got more of a tart hoppy taste to it than their other stuff, but like their best beers, it's not overpowering. A nice change of pace for me.

And that covers my favorite brewery. I know some folks here like these, so I'm kinda preaching to the choir, but every beer they make is great in their own way, with the possible exception of BPA (which is still quite good).
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Next up: Affligem Brewery!

1. Affligem Dubbel - Another great dubbel style beer - very similar to the Ommegang Abbey Ale, right down to the molasses confusion:p Seriously very similar beer here, and this one is very good. Maybe even better than the Ommegang version. One thing that seems more prominent is the carbonation. I think I'd like to try this one back to back with the Ommegang style to see which is better...

2. Affligem Tripel - Given how much I enjoyed the dubbel, I was expecing a lot out of this, but I was a bit disappointed. It's very good, but it's more of a standard tripel. It's a very light colored beer, and clearer than I expected. Solid, but nothing too special.

3. Affligem Blonde - Ahh, that's more like it - very much like the tripel, but better. More flavor or something. Well worth a try.

And another brewery down!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Miscellaneous IPA and Barleywine post!

1. Devil's Milk - Apparently a Barleywine, but it has a strong, flavorful hoppy taste. Powerful hop taste, but not quite an IPA. At the last "beer club" (not supposed to talk about it, first and second rule and all, but whatever!) this was informally voted as the best beer (though it was very close with another beer). Definitely a good beer that I'd like to try more of...

2. Whale's Tale Pale Ale - Pretty standard IPA. Not much to say - solid hoppy taste, similar to other IPAs (like Sierra Nevada)

3. Fresh Hop Pale Ale - See above. Standard IPA material here.

4. Buckeye Brewing Hippie IPA - See above. Standard IPA material here.

And that covers that. Some other IPA stuff to come, but they go along with other good breweries:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010

Many excellent beers! I love Unibroue in particular myself...we have a pizza place bar in my hometown that offers a huge selection of beers on tap, sometimes from Unibroue.

I haven't had anything too exciting beerwise myself lately. I bought a case of Naragansett not too long ago...it lingered for a while, as Naragansett is pretty crappy. I've also been drinking a fair bit of Leinenkugel, out of somewhere in the midwest...they have various seasonal packs with some great beers in there. I particularly like their Red Lager.

My summertime favorite was Goose Island's (out of Chicago) Summertime, a Kolsch style...midway between an ale and a lager. Very crisp, with just enough hops to add flavor and aroma.

And last night I had Pilsner Urquell, which I'd seen but assumed to be low quality for years, but was actually quite good, very crisp and clean.

Had several good Sctochs lately, but that's a whole 'nother post.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010 edited

Next up, Delaware's own Dogfish Head Craft Brewery:

1. Pangaea - The story behind this one is that they use at least one ingredient from all seven continents. I was a bit curious what they got out of Antarctica, but when you think about it, it's obvious: water. Anyway, it's a very tasty ale, a little strong and perhaps a bit too expensive, but it's an interesting beer. Well worth a try if you get a chance.

2. 90 Minute IPA - Very strong hoppy flavors that rival some of my favorite hoppy beers. Apparently the way they add hops is somewhat unique, which allows for a strong hoppy taste without overpowering anything. They apparently have a whole series of these (60 min IPA, 120 min IPA, etc...) and I haven't tried them all, but I would like to! Especially the 120 minute IPA.

3. Punkin Ale - I figured I'd get into the season with this pumpkin flavored ale, and it's pretty solid, as pumpkin beers go. Ultimately not something I want to drink a lot of - the pumpkin flavor is actually very strong. It's certainly fine for a single bottle, but I can't imagine drinking several of these at once. It's named after a local event (Punkin Chunkin, where people build various catapulty things to literally chuck a bunch of pumpkins as far as possible).

4. Black & Blue - Beer brewed with Blackberries and Blueberries (hence the name). The color of this was way different than expected (reddish-orange - didn't really look like beer, more like a wine). I had this at my work's beer club thingy that we do, so perhaps my impressions are colored by those surroundings, but we didn't particularly care for this. I've since learned that warming this beer up is supposed to make it taste better (I had it cold), but even then, I'm not terribly enthused. Still, this is a typical adventurous effort from the brewery.

Added 10/7/10:

5. Namaste - A belgian style Witbier (wheat beer). Light color, hazy, lots of sediment, typical wheat beer taste with a twist. Smells lemony (it's supposedly made with lemongrass, so that makes sense), taste of lemon isn't strong, but it's there. There's some citrusy flavors as well. If it wasn't October, I'd probably get me another of these to drink out on my deck. Would be a great summer beer. Tasted at my monthly beer club meetup, so not ideal conditions, but it was probably my favorite beer of the night.

6. Theobroma - Amber color, nice size head, but not especially flavorful. The taste is rather spicy, with a bit of a bitter bite. I'm told from others at beer club that it tastes of chocolate, but my palate detected the spicy pepper flavor much more (it's made with chiles and annatto, which seems like a spicy spice thingy). Its a solid beer. Not my favorite or anything, but an interesting mixture of flavors.

7. Wrath of Pecant - The best thing about this beer is the label, which is done in the font from "Wrath of Kahn" It's an amber color and you can really smell the plantains. The taste starts off as a sorta standard, flavorful amber ale, but there's one hell of a finish. It's an aftertaste that's bitter and dry. I didn't hate this, but others at beer club couldn't get paste that aftertaste. And honestly, since I was the only one who liked it, I drank some more of it and by the end, I wasn't particularly loving it. Another interesting experiment by dogfish head, but not something I'm looking forward to trying more of...

8. Palo Santo Marron - I don't usually care much for darker beers but hoo man, this is one fantastic beer. Pours a dark brown, almost black, totally opaque color. Head is dark brown/caramelish color. It looks much thicker than your average beer, and it tastes that way too. But it's smooth. Very malty, typical dark beer taste, but with hints of vanilla and some other flavors that I can't quite place. It really strikes me as a unique beer. I'm not expert on dark beers, but I've never tasted anything like this. Definitely one of my favorite Dogfish Head beers and something I want more of! The story behind this one is also pretty interesting. Apparently Sam (the guy who owns Dogfish Head) was travelling in South America and discovered this special wood that the locals were ususing to age wine. He thought it would be nice to age some beer in that kind of wood, so he started doing some small batches of this beer and was so pleased with it that he ended up flying in large amounts of the south american wood, hiring some company that could actually make these huge aging barrels. Apparently cost ungodly amounts of money (Sam jokes that his kids will still be paying for it when they inherit his brewery). Anyway, that wood is probably where the unique flavor comes from. Great stuff!

And this brewery has a want to try list:

Theobroma (apparently in store for the next beer club)
    120 Minute IPA
    Saison du BUFF (I've had the Victory version, but would like to see what Dogfish Head does)
    Shelter Pale Ale
    Midas Touch
    Palo Santo Marron

Oh, allright, I want to try them all.

The most notably thing about this brewery is that every beer seems to have strange/rare ingredients or a big story behind it, which I find actually makes it kinda interesting, even if I don't especially like what I'm trying. At the very least, they're very adventurous and always unique, which is a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

Dogfish Head is apparently owned by a ridiculously rich guy. He apparently comes up with ideas for new beers on a whim, and has the huge budget to make them a reality.

I'm a bit mixed on Dogfish Head. My first exposure to them was via the 60 and 90 minute IPAs. I used to be quite the IPA fan, but the tendency towards ever more extreme levels of hops turned me off of them a few years ago, so I wasn't that impressed with the 60 or 90 minute. I've had the 120, and it's surprisingly not bad.

Once I got past the IPAs, I found Dogfish Head a weird mixed bag of beers. I love their willingness to experiment and do weird stuff, I just don't always feel like they come off. I had the Theobroma at a beer tasting, and was underwhelmed...it was odd, to say the least. That being said, I've been meaning to try the Black and Blue for a while, though I had their Peche (beer with peach puree) over the summer, and thought it was just okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

Trappist Beer Showdown! There are a lot of trappist monasteries, but only 7 actually brew beer (and 6 are in Belgium!) They tend to make limited batches, so they also tend to be expensive, but from what I've had, they're worth it! I have not had all 7, but I've had 4, and they're all pretty good.

1. Chimay Red - Chimay is probably the most common Belgian beer you'll find in the states, which is a bit strange because it's so distinctive. There's a bit of an acquired taste to it. I always used to describe it as having a "burnt" sort of taste, and I still think that applies, though I'm not really sure what causes it. Perhaps they toast the malts more than other beers or something. Regardless, it's still a very good beer and well worth a try. It is, however, not one of my favorites.

2. Chimay White (aka Tripel) - Now this beer, on the other hand, has become one of my top beers. It retains that distinctive Chimay taste, but it's not nearly as overpowering here as it is in the red. Very strong, very tasty, and all around a great beer. Highly recommended.

3. Orval Ale - Another of my first Belgian beers, and one of my favorites. It's a bit like Ommegang's Hennepin, but not quite as spicy. That's not to say that it's worse or anything, just that they seem to have a similar character to them. Tasty and spicy, with some citrusy flavors cutting through (reviews talk about Apple, actually, but I've never really gotten any apple flavor out of this that I could recognize). Highly recommended.

4. Rochefort 6 - Dark belgian ale. This isn't really my kinda beer, but I have to admit that it's quite tasty. Dark, nutty, malty, earthy flavors with high carbonation and a nice mouthfeel. Of the beers of this kind, I think this is among the best (though again, it's not really my thing).

5. Rochefort 10 - Very much like the 6, but with a lot more alcohol (and you can taste it). I actually really like the extra taste the alcohol brings to the flavor, though again, it's not really my favorite style of beer. Still, not something I'd turn down or anything!

6. Westmalle Dubbel - Dark color, but very dry for a dubbel, which is an interesting attribute in a beer (more used to that being a red wine type of thing). As dubbel's go, this is probably an important touchestone if you're trying to learn about Belgian beers... Recommended.

7. Westmalle Tripel - Pretty much a standard tripel, which is to say, it's good! Blonde color, tasty. It does not rival my favorite tripels, but it's probably at the top of the middle tier:p

And that covers the Trappist ales I've had so far. I'm certainly looking to check out the others as well, if I can find them! Also, I'm almost positive I've had Chimay Blue (grand reserve) before, but not anytime recently, so it wouldn't be fair to write about it here!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I feel similar to you on Dogfish Head. I don't really have any beers there that are things that I think I really need to have all the time or anything, but I find myself constantly intrigued by the concepts of their beers. This is actually somewhat fortunate, as Dogfish Head is quite expensive.

If you've got Netflix, there's actually quite an interesting documentary called Beer Wars, which features the Dogfish Head guy quite prominently (I don't know that I would call him ridiculously rich, as during the course of the movie, he went into massive debt in order to expand his operation - but then, he does own restaurants/breweries, so I guess there's that). He does seem to travel all over the world to get interesting implements to brew his beer though... He's an interesting guy, and seems to know his stuff... (Documentary has lots of other "famous" beer guys too, like the guy from Yuengling, the guy from Stone, the Sam Adams guy, etc...)

I've recently come to realize that super-hoppy beers totally destroy my taste buds for a while, so I've been trying to avoid them until later in the night (or if I know I'm going to need to be drinking something like Miller Lite or something, I'll kill my taste buds and then move on to the crappy stuff). I still enjoy a good IPA though, but at the same time, they all seem kinda similar (see above post re: IPA and Barleywine where I basically describe 3 beers as "standard IPA material". Still, there are some that stand out - Victory HopDevil and Stone Ruination (which will "ruin" your palate, heh) are pretty good. I haven't had enough Dogfish Head to say where they stack up. There are lots of hoppy beers that aren't IPAs though, and those are definitely cool (Prima Pils comes to mind, which reminds me, I should probably do a post on Victory).

Heh, I just saw this vid about the 90 minute IPA and how they rigged up the classic football game to shake the hops into the beer:

(Crap, can't embed on the forum, I guess, here's the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0lXC8m3tnA&feature=player_embedded)

Ohhh... Me So Hoppy. Hehe.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

It seems that I've outstripped the original images I posted, so here's a few updates. These pics don't have every beer, but it covers a big portion of new stuff... (click for bigger images)

Beer

Beer

I'm almost caught up in posting about these, too. I guess that means I need to start drinking more. Hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

Belgian Beer Battle! Ok, not a battle, but Belgians are still my favorites, so here are a few that haven't been covered yet:

1. Saison Dupont - One of my favorite discoveries of the year, this is apparently the archetype of a saison beer. Light color, citrus flavor that cuts through the hops, making for a well balanced beer. My favorite saison since Hennepin, though I'm not sure it gets the crown. Will need to have a few more of these! This beer is supposedly getting tons of accolades of late, and is a big part of a resurgence in saison style beer.

2. De Ranke Guldenberg - I brought this one to beer club, and it totally exploded when I popped the cap. Beer everywhere. From what I could tell from what was left, it seemed pretty good, so I went and got another bottle. Tried to open it a bit more carefully at home, but while I was successful in preventing an explosion, it still foamed like crazy, which lead to a bit of a flat taste. Because I opened it slower the second time, I think I was able to get a better idea about this one. It was very good. Amber color, tasty, but again, a little on the flat side. I bought both bottles from the same place, so maybe I just got a bad batch, or maybe the employees take turns shaking these bottles or something. It's funny, because the bottle has this fancy paper packaging, but it doesn't use a cork like most 750 ml bottles (perhaps part of the problem). Anyway, It's on my list to revisit.

3. Fantôme Saison - Another saison, but this one is entirely different in character from any other ones reviewed in this thread (Victory makes a beer called Helios which has a similar style, but it isn't as good as this). It's got a very strong lemony taste. Pours a hazy golden yellow color, has a nice head on it, smells good, and again, lemony flavor. I'm not entirely sure it's something I could drink a lot of (by the end of a 750 ml bottle, I was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed), but it's definitely a good beer.

4. St. Feuillien Saison - Yet another saison, this one more in the Dupont/Hennepin style than Fantôme. It's not the best saison ever, but it's in the top teer. Worth trying again at some point.

5. Gouden Carolus Tripel - I have to admit that I don't remember a ton about this beer, except that it was better than I was expecting. I'd tried a bunch of Tripel beers and been a bit disappointed, but this one definitely was a step above. Will need to try again.

6. Delirium Tremens - Ultra sweet, light colored ale. It's got a thin, carbonated feel, and again, super sweet taste. There's more to the taste than I'm describing, but the overwhelming aspect of this beer is its sweetness. It's a unique style that I really don't have a comparison for...

Good stuff, and you may have noticed that a lot of these have notes to revisit. Yeah, I think I need to revisit a lot of beers in this thread. Hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

Beer club tonight! As fate would have it, there were three separate Dogfish Head beers tonight (including one I brought). One really good, one that was ok, and one that was... interesting, but not quite as good as the others (and... that was the one I brought). I updated the Dogfish Head entry above with those three beers that I tried, as well as the Palo Santo Marron beer, which I had the other night.

The only non Dogfish Head beer tonight was something called:

1. Fish Paralyzer Pale Ale (RJ Rockers Brewery) - It's not quite as strong as an IPA, but it's still a very hoppy and tasty beer. Probably a bit comparable to Ommegang BPA (mentioned above). A solid beer, but ultimately not anything super special.

That's all for now.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2010 edited

I haven't been able to find many beers from The Bruery around here, but if this one is any indication, then I need to do a better job searching:

1. The Bruery Coton 2010 - Deep brown color, not much head, but a very strong smell of malt, brown sugar, and caramel (could smell it before I even put my nose near the glass). Taste is rich and smooth. Carbonation is there, but not very strong (good enough so that it doesn't taste flat). It's thicker than most beers, and lingers for a while (but you know, in a good way). When I bought it, the guy at Pinocchio's said its good, but it's "boozy", and at 14.5% abv, you can certainly taste the alcohol. But the rich flavors balance well with the boozy bite (apparently this is a blend of some beer that was aged normally with beer aged in a bourbon barrel, and you can kinda taste that too). This sort of beer isn't usually my thing, but damn, it's good, if maybe a bit too powerful. Maybe it is my thing. I think I'll pick up another of these and save it for a while. At such a high alcohol and with such rich flavors, it has to be able to age well, and if it mellows out a bit, it might be even better.

The Bruery Coton

I should probably just start a beer blog and stop bothering everyone with the blow by blow tastings:p

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010

Another Brewery I haven't been able to find much of around here is Russian River (California beer), but I did get my hands on a small bottle last week:

1. Russian River Damnation - Came in a 375 ml bottle with a cork (which is weird, never seen this before - though the RR beers at the store were all like this...) Pours a hazy golden color with about a centimeter of head. Smells a little fruity with some spices (clove? I'm still trying to get these flavors in beer down), and the initial taste is similar. Citrusy taste with a little spice thrown in to start and finishes with a little tart dryness (not at all overpowering, but it's there). This is generally one of my preferred style of beer, and I really enjoyed it. Well worth a try if you get a chance.

Russian River Damnation

Yeah, I should definitely start a beer blog.

~tallman