Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

So what exactly constitutes business attire? I'm pretty sure it's suit and tie, and I can confirm it with other people I know are going, but I always hate those sorts of notes. I shouldn't complain. Men are easy. It's either casual, suit, or tux. That's pretty much my options. But yeah, so I won an award, which is why I need to figure this out because there's a dinner. Score.

Anywho, not much else going on. Potential light at the end of the tunnel for that big project I mentioned. But then, I've felt that way before and I just found out that there are still a lot of defects still open. Crap. New projects are starting up too, which doesn't help.

I went to a friend's house this weekend for his two kids' birthday party (they're 1 and 3). There was a freakin petting zoo, right there in their backyard. And it wasn't like a couple of rabbits, it was like 20 different animals of all kinds. And a pony. Quite a production.

In terms of reading, I'm doing pretty well this year. I finished the Conqueror's trilogy last night and am almost finished Peopleware (Productive Projects and Teams - gotta love nonfiction subheads). Next up will be Arthur C. Clarke's The City and the Stars, followed by some sort of non-fiction (perhaps How We Decide). I posted these on the blog a while back, actually, so I'll stop there.

I need to do some work on my house. I did a few things this weekend, but not nearly enough. I replaced my showerhead this weekend, and I'm a bit surprised by the improvement. I probably should have done this a while ago! The windows in my house could also use a bit of work. One of them is all screwwed up - it's got like condensation inside the glass where I can't get at to clean, so the glass probably needs to be replaced. The sliding doors I have are also starting to age. The glass is fine, but the doors are a bit off (this might be an adjustment or something, so that the upper right of the door fits more snugly).

I think I might even try to do something to my front yard area (the small area I'm supposed to have control over). Right now, I'm cultivating a rock and weed garden, but that's not very neighborly, so I'm going to try and find something really easy to put there. Perhaps something that comes on a pot so I don't even have to do any digging! Heh.

Well, that's all for now. Hope everyone's doing well:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010

Business attire is a suit - slacks, dress shirt, tie, jacket. You can always remove the jacket and bring it down a notch if everyone else is a bit less professional.

I always err on the side of looking too dressed up if I'm not sure because at least people can't say you don't look your best. There do seem to be more nuanced dress codes for women, but that also creates more flexibility. For instance, I feel there's true business professional (aka stuffy professional, as I call it) and relaxed business professional. The latter is not the same as business casual, it's just that it's more about looking professional but in a more festive environment, like an evening meeting that comes with some food and wine. Which means I would choose a jacket that's more fitted or decorative, instead of my interview suit jacket that's simple and straightforward.

What I always get stuck on is pantyhose/tights or no? When I was a teenager and getting advice about job-hunting from teachers and career counselors and other adults, everyone said to wear pantyhose. But now I wonder. I haven't worn pantyhose to an interview since I was 18. I imagine that much older women (60+) look down on its absence the most.

I am thoroughly tired and am about to watch some TV.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010

Congratulations on your award and having a fancy dinner! At my workplace when you win awards, it's sort of like being in kindergarten again. You get a certificate, a trophy or plaque and there may be cake. The latter is only if someone buys it with their personal funds, though.

I would say what the categories require depends so much anymore, the old designations don't mean as much in many ways. But, like Spencer, I would rather be overdressed than under. Partly because we get so few chances to actually dress up with a reason. I may stress over finding the right outfit for an occassion, but I'll thoroughly enjoy feeling gussied up once I'm there. At least until my shoes start to hurt.

I've embraced pantyhose myself for hiding a multitude of flaws and extra protection in over air-conditioned environments, but I think you have to be pretty high up the corporate ladder for them to be required anymore. And if really uncertain, you can just wear slacks. Honestly, I think it's pretty dumb that it not being acceptable for men to cross dress persists. I can't think of anything more simple or comfortable this time of year than just wearing a long, short sleeved dress.

You should grow tomatoes. They are super easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2010

Congrats, tallman! I, too, believe "business attire" is a suit and tie. That's not to say you shouldn't get a tux with a top hat and a monocle. In fact, I think you should.

Pantyhose seem really old fashioned to me but every once in a while I see a picture of someone wearing them that looks really classy and good. I don't even know where I'm going with this. Men should wear dresses. I think that's where I'm going. Rip-away pants. One of these days, I'm going to walk into a meeting with some rip-away pants and rip away to reveal...another pair of pants. Then I'll sit down and break out some powerpoints!

Just kidding, I don't ever use powerpoint.

tallman, tomatoes are devil but if you grow them, know that you can turn them into a paste called "ketchup" (or "catsup") and it quells the evil. I was once charged with protecting a small village from impending tomato doom and was unable to complete my duty. To this day, my failure haunts me.

There's this little garden area in front of my apartment building that I want to plant something low maintenance in because right now it's all vicious-looking weeds and people's cigarette butts but I think it could be really pretty. I say low maintenance because I have a bad history of caring for plants. Actually, maybe it's not low maintenance that I need but a plant that starts screaming when it's hungry. Like babies, but with more ladybugs. I'm going back to the lab now to engineer the product of the future: Dave's Screaming Roses™.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2010

Oh man, the tux with a top hat and monocle (and cane) would be awesome. I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone for confirming my suspicions about business attire. I guess this means I should, like, dry clean one of my suites, which I just realized are all balled up at the bottom of my closet.

I'm not a big fan of tomatoes, actually. I like tomato sauce (on pizza and pasta and whatnot), but not a lot of it and I don't generally like fresh tomatoes. Also, when I was growing up, my family would plant a bunch of tomato plants and made me pick them every day, so I hate that even more (this was doubly bad because, again, I don't especially like tomatoes). So no tomato plants for me.

Dave's Screaming Roses™ would be ideal, I think. So long as their screams weren't too loud. Can't wake up the neighbors, you know?

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

Do you like spicy foods? You could grow chili peppers.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2010

Hmmm, good call! I do like spicy foods and have been considering making my own buffalo sauce from scratch (i.e. instead of just buying Red Hot or similar as the base), so chili peppers would be an ideal crop. If the rabbits don't eat it.

Of course, I just got a notice that we all need to keep watering of plants to a minimum because water expenses have been going up in the area. D'oh. Still, I don't use crap now, so there's that.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2010

Crap is actually sort of good for plants, in some forms!

A chili plant or two is not going to require much watering. I doubt you guys get significantly less rain than ohio, and I think the year I did tomotoes and peppers in a plot behind my apartment I only watered if it hadn't rained in more than 3 days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2010

Regular rain. Now there's a thought. You guys are lucky. Even though we're not in a drought anymore (or maybe we did go back down recently), I can only water Sundays and Thursdays. I don't water any because I'm lazy, but you know, if I cared about having a lush lawn, I'd have lots of work ahead of me.

We had an intern at work last year who was from Iowa and said they could just dig a little hole and plant stuff with no preparation of the soil. How do Ohio and Pennsylvania compare to that? Texas is very different, and thus the need for agricultural science!
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010

For just planting a few vegetables where I have lived in Ohio and Oklahoma, no specific preparation is required. However, after a couple seasons, you probably need to start some fertilizing and or rotating and aerating and such to deal with the depletion of the original minerals and such in the soil. Not having lived anywhere for more than a year and my total plants grown as an adult amounts to 3, I have no idea the specific steps. And I'm sure are there are various places throughout the state where the soil sandy or clay and thus not amenable to the plant seeds and leave them alone gardening experiments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2010

Well, how did the monocle and top hat go over?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010

Smashing, DyRE. Smashing! At least, in my dreams. In reality, I chickened out and went with the standard suit getup:p

~tallman