Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2010

I don't know if anyone remembers my cat Linus. He's actually the family cat. I got him as a kitten when I was 16. After moving an hour away from my parents' house at 18, I didn't get to see Linus too often, and I missed having him around. But then we got our own cats, and Linus was still very happy at my parents' house because he was always an indoor-outdoor cat.

In his 11 years, he's had a great life and not suffered much, especially considering the things he's encountered outdoors. He's only had a few minor wounds from fights and never been sick, that I've known about.

But now he has a mass wrapped around where his small and large intestines meet. It's too far gone to hope that even surgery would save him. Without an appetite stimulant medication, he doesn't eat. We don't want him to have a long, slow death from starvation, so we're going to put him to sleep, probably this week or the next.

We're all very sad of course, especially my brother. He's been living in my dad's house for a while, so he's had Linus as his daily buddy and grown accustomed to his presence. Linus also kept my mom company. Even though he's loved the outdoors, he's also a good lap cat, or foot cat in my dad's case. For some odd reason, Linus really likes hanging out next to my dad's feet, or on them if he can swing it.
    Linus was a super playful kitten who insisted on sleeping in the crook of my neck when he was very young. I have pictures from when my mom was cleaning one day, and a tiny Linus followed her around, batting at everything, thinking she was playing with him. His one bad habit was eating the bread if it was left outside the bread box. But otherwise he is so sweet, has a cute meow, and will let you pet his belly if he trusts you.

I'm sad that I had to leave him when I was 18, and I'm sad that he's going to pass away soon. I do take lots of comfort in knowing he's had a great life and been treated well.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2010

I'm sorry to hear that. Losing a longtime pet is harder than expected. I know, for instance, that my mom was very upset when our last dog (Jane Doe, a stray that we sorta adopted) died, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't want another one. Anyway, glad to hear that Linus had a good (relatively) long life. I'm sure he was well loved:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

How sad. Wow, I remember you talking about Linus from way back. It's sad he'll be gone, poor little guy, but at least it sounds like he had a very good life.