Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

I haven't dropped in for a while. Its nice to see everyone is well and getting on with their lives.

I've got a bit of down time between assignments in Kuala Lumpur. Not much to do but sit around the hotel pool with book and laptop and stare at those damned Petronas Towers. They are the ugliest skyscrapers in the world. They are not even the tallest anymore. People said classics like the Chrysler building or the BoC Hong Kong were ugly when they went up, but they won over in the end because they have some intrinsic aesthetic or architectural merit. The Petronas Towers will never win over. Just plain ugly buildings.

I'm off to Bangkok for a week, then Singapore and then Jakarta -- the "Big Durian" is where I mostly live now.

I'm pining desperately for bacon, pork sausages and fried eggs. You just can't get a decent English breakfast in these Muslim countries.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2009

grenville! Long time no see. Hope all is going well, and that you get your decent breakfast sooner rather than later. If it makes you feel any better, I haven't had that type of breakfast in a while either.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

Late to the party, but hey grenville! I imagine you probably do some sort of less potentially disastrous work but I like to believe the political powers of southeast Asia rise and fall with your moods and your lack of decent English breakfast will only lead to a great upheaval amongst the masses against an oppressive regime or a coup d'état or two that eventually results in a cultural shift towards certain breakfast foods in a certain part of the world.

Either way, best of luck to you during breakfast, of course.
    • CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009

Funny you should say that. I got sent to Australia (though actually in New Zealand right now) to sort out a little problem and they have excellent bacon-based foods here. On upheavals, I live in a luxury apartment almost across the road from the Presidential palace in Jakarta (very safe area, incidently) and before I left there were light-armed vehicles, police trucks packed with coils of razor wire and special forces types patrolling the street. I didn't even need to wake up the security guys in my building because they were wide awake watching to see how the top guys do area patrols (they stand around, chat and look bored, but stay awake). I had a little cutie I picked up at Plaza Indonesia pickup some ayam goreng on her way over from work at the perfume counter, but she didn't know how to use the touch card I gave her, couldn't remember my apartment number and only knew my first name. They held her at gun point in the lobby until I did the walk of shame down to claim ownership. Normally she'd have no problem talking her way in. I suspect that the regime will survice, though. It was something to do with couple of dozen university students having themselves a protest outside the national monument. Indonesia is the only healthily democratic country in SE Asia, but do over-react a bit sometimes.