Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Fantastic Fest, in Austin. I don't think I've heard of it before, or else paid very little attention. I would consider going, but the super large crowds that Alamo tends to attract just would not work with for me right now. Plus, tickets are kind of pricey.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2009

Indeed it is! I think I may have mentioned it before. If this time of year wasn't so busy for me (next year might not be as bad), I would have seriously considered going. I heard all sorts of awesome stuff about it last year. It would be interesting to fully commit to a film fest. When I do Philly fest stuff, I really am not seeing that many movies... Plus, it kinda sucks that I have to drive into the city and then back every day (and pay for parking, etc...), which is time consuming and annoying. If I were to go to something like FF, I'm sure I'd be staying at a place relatively close by and would hopefully be able to walk to most of the venues (then again, maybe not - some of the venues at the Philly fest are relatively far apart)...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009

You know, I think I remember you mentioning it now. It seemed a bit familiar, but there are so many events in Austin these days, I can't keep them all apart. Which I guess is a good thing...though I don't go to anything. I'm such a homebody.

The screenings are mostly at the Alamo on South Lamar (not too far from downtown but not close enough to walk from a downtown hotel) or at the Paramount (right in downtown). I hate the Paramount. It's an old theater, so yeah it's got character, but the charm wears off after the first 10 minutes of squeezing your ass in the tiny seat. Well, when we saw George Carlin we had seats on the main floor, and those were okay, but barely. But up in the mezzanine, the seats are uncomfortably small for even skinny Charles and thin me. And of course you pay around $25 for the pleasure.

Alamo seating is obviously better since it's meant to be a whole experience - food, drink, and oftentimes some live entertainment to accompany the film. And sometimes you can feel sort of bonded as an audience. Does that sound weird? I don't think you'd get that at the Paramount because it's just too big of a space. If I'm going to go to a film festival, I want there to be some real festivities.

Oh man, I just remembered my sister told me that Master Pancake Theater is going to do Total Recall! I gotta see that.