Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009

Catnip is some damn good stuff. I have this spray-on catnip? Just a few spritzes on a small rug, and Logic is rolling all around that sucker.
    It's the best way I've found to quell raging kitty emotions. Sundae is a bit immune though. Once she's pissed, you might as well call it a night.

Okay, so I have nothing interesting to talk about. Um, we got our copies of the closing documents - they came bound in a thick book, heh. Though we knew the final cost of the house and loan amounts, we hadn't paid close attention to the exact monthly mortgage+interest+tax+insurance payment. Luckily, it came in under by around $200 what we had estimated in our budget!

I've been reminiscing about past vacations. I believe we've had 60 something straight days of 100+ temps. A new record would be 69? It's easy to lose count. I haven't bothered looking into the best planting times for grass because I'm just like, Really? Do I want to drag my pasty white ass outside in this heat and onslaught of Solar Death Rays? In any case, stage 2 water restrictions are in effect, so we can only water our lawn on Sundays, which is one day more than we're watering now, heh.

Every year around this time, stores start putting out their fall clothing lines. I love fall styles and colors, but I am not going to wear long sleeves until late November probably. Tall boots, long skirts, sweaters and socks? Ha! The last time I wore socks it was to keep a band-aid stuck on better.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2009

What exactly is catnip? I mean, it sounds great. Do they make it for humans? Heh.

So I had lots of fun in the Adirondacks and will be heading to the beach this weekend for more fun. I have some pictures I should probably upload, but that'll have to wait. It figures, as soon as I start going on vacation, work heats up with a ton of little projects we need to do in the next few weeks. But I'm making good progress when I'm hear and my team is doing well too, so all should be well. It's just annoying. It seems like vacation always comes at the worst time...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2009

From reading on wikipedia, I learned:

Catnip is an herb, of the mint family. It mimics a feline pheromone, and can therefore put a cat into a sort of euphoric state. But not all cats have the gene(s) to get this response, and Wikipedia says most Australian cats do not respond to catnip.
    It also mentions a hybrid catnip plant that smells like lemons....hmm, something to plant in our yard? I've been considering a lemon tree or two anyway.

PICTURES! GIMME.

Glad you're having fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009

Purchases today:

Subway sandwich, chips and drink
    42" LCD Flat Panel TV
    Home audio system
    slim PS3

That sandwich really filled me up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Whoa, nicely done! For a second I thought I was reading a mastercard commercial... What games/movies did you get for the PS3?

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

No games for the PS3 as of yet. We were at the store late. Charles is looking up what games he wants right now. He's interested in Prince of Persia, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, perhaps MGS 4 (though he's never been a MGS fan)...that's what I know of right now.

I don't know if we'll buy movies in Blu-ray format. I guess we should buy one just to say we did. We rarely buy movies anyway, but we might buy some TV shows that people have told us are really good. Even then, we can probably do Netflix for most shows. We're not the sort of people to watch the same movie over and over, except for some classics. For instance, we should probably own Star Wars and the good Indiana Jones movies.

Heh, here's the list of purchases for today:

sofa
    loveseat
    oversized chair
    ottoman
    5 piece pub dinette set
    queen platform bed
    futon
    coffee table and two end tables
    computer desk
    two chair mats for hardwood floor
    HDMI cable
    optical out cable
    mouse pad
    not-so-great Tex-Mex lunch
    Lifesavers
    bubblegum

So yeah, we got a lot of the furniture we need. The place we went to sells furniture from several different companies, mostly out of catalogs, but they don't mark stuff up as much. One brand they sell is Ashley, so we went to the actual Ashely furniture store and tried out sofas, loveseats, etc to see what we liked, but then we bought the pieces we liked from the cheaper store. Overall, we saved around $900 on furniture.
    The desk we got from Office Depot, simply because that is the only desk I could find that has the exact features I want (wide pull-out keyboard tray, drawers), so that was only $129.

There's more furniture we'd like to get, but we haven't found pieces we really love. Well, except for a chair I want, but it costs $500, and I can't find it at a lower price anywhere.

I'm going to sand and repaint our dresser and TV stand. Also need to hem up some curtains. And do a million other things.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009

That's an an awful lot of shopping. I know we need a few pieces of furniture sooner, rather than later. Like a real entertainment center that hides cords and has drawers. Instead of doing anything as practical as that, I decided to buy Wicked tickets for my boyfriend's entire family. Well, maybe if I reign in Christmas shopping this year, I can afford to by myself a present.

And Mogwai does not really react to catnip. He likes to eat it, but no catten hijinks ensue as a result. He doesn't go crazy over it. There's something called honeysuckle sawdust that cats who don't react to catnip are supposed to react to, but I keep forgetting to order it. Maybe the next catten will be a catnip fiend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2009

Catnip is closely related to valerian, another member of the mint family which can be used to treat mild insomnia. (Doesn't do a damn thing for me, but most insomnia remedies, heavy duty prescriptions included, don't do much for me.) I find it odd that catnip and valerian have such wildly different effects on cats and people, given that our nervous systems are relatively pretty similar.

I've also learned that about 95% of cats are flat out nuts for anything in the mint family...peppermint and wintergreen drive them crazy. I don't know if it's for the same reason as catnip, but I do know cats will go to any length to get mint anything once they smell it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

I believe you about the mint because Sundae was just sniffing the inside of my purse intently and kind of rubbing her nose on it. I think it's because I have a pack of wintermint gum in there.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Can cats chew gum? Or do they just swallow it? I assume they'd just swallow it. Yeah. Dumb question. Never mind. Move it along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Move it along? *dances* Like that?

=P

Cats can't really chew. They're carnivores and therefore their teeth are geared towards killing, puncturing, and ripping. I believe at this last vet visit, the doctor mentioned that cat saliva doesn't help to break down their food but that their stomach acid is more potent. Logic lost another molar, but the vet said that's not going to make a difference in his ability to eat.

Cats will bite a dry food kibble one or twice to be able to swallow it. Sidonia tends to eat really fast and will therefore sometimes throw up her food a few minutes after eating. The kibbles will mostly still be intact. Lovely huh?