Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

I just got me a new laptop. It's a pretty basic dell thing, but it's cool. It's my first laptop, but I can already see that it will be quite useful (he says as he writes this whilst sitting on his couch). Mostly just a convenience thing, but it also means that I don't have to turn on my main PC at times. I don't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but my main PC is really loud. This always seems to happen with my PCs. At least one of the fans seems to be rather loud. I opened it up and blew it out with one of those air can thingies, which helped, but it's still loud. Also, the PC drains more power, etc... Most of what I do anymore is on the net, so the laptop will probably meet my basic needs.

Then again, I need to get cracking on my 4k CD swap, which will be a PC thing. Damn. Maybe the laptop won't be as useful as I think:p

I have some ideas. I think I'm going to make a list of songs that all have horn sections as part of the music. I could call it "horny" and then make some sort of joke about getting minds out of gutters or something. And maybe a picture of a horn. Oooohhh, I have an idea about that.

Speaking of 4k CD swap, I got mine today. From someone in Austin, TX. At first, I thought it might have been you Spence, but the name on the return address wasn't yours. Who else from 4k is in TX? It's almost certainly a female, judging from the handwriting. It's also someone who knows me somewhat... so I'm not sure. It's probably obvious and I'm probably a moron.

Oh yeah, I'm rather behind on my Infinite Jest reading. I should probably be reading right now. But instead, I'm going to work on my 4k swap disc, as I should get that out this weekend and I'll probably need to print something, crap. I'm going to be at least 2 weeks behind.

Oh, and for the tallmanian movie challenge in the blot, I'm thinking of making the prize a DVD from my collection. I have a number of DVDs that I either don't want anymore or that I've double dipped on... which means I should have a pretty good selection... What do you think? I bet more people would enter if there was a real world prize involved.

Well, I should stop. If I hurry, I could probably get my disc done and do some reading tonight...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2009

Hurm.

Anyone know where my copy of the Lost Highway soundtrack is? I want to use that Angelo Badalamenti song for my horny mix. Other than not being able to find that stupid CD, I think the mix is coming along well. Some of the songs don't necessarily have that much in the way of horns though. One doesn't sound like it has one at all, but it's right there in the liner notes - someone played French Horn. And I like the song, so it's in. Ohh, and I have a pretty cool minimalist design for the cd cover and track listing... Should turn out well, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Well, I'm pretty sure none of you are my person in the CD swap (he's in the UK), so here's the cover. Need to print out a few of these and make sure they fit in my cd case:p

Heh.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Females I know of from Austin are me and Domino. Perhaps shyla...I thought she was in H-town, but then she wasn't..not sure.

I'm not participating in the CD swap, because I suck. I think people would either not like my music at all or already know it and like it. I don't have much to choose from anyway. I have 816 songs in my main music folder; from what I've read of other people's music collections, that's peanuts.

I can only think of two British males. If your CD is going to either one, then titling it "horny" is hilarious, even moreso for one in particular. I think you know whom.
    I like your minimal case art there. That little horn is cute. Er...maybe that's not what you were going for, but having a small font and a small horn could be considered ironic perhaps?

I usually use my laptop in its docking station, where it becomes a desktop, essentially. But for a while I was using it almost exclusively on the couch. The battery has really gone downhill though - lasts less than hour. I bought an extra power cord, and I also have a little lap desk to keep the heat off of me. A laptop is really handy at times. How big is your screen?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

It was Domino. I didn't remember her being from Austin, but I should have been alerted to this by the first song on the album - Domino by Kiss.

I don't have a particularly huge music library either (probably a little bigger than yours). In fact, when I first started, I tried to do something a little more standard. I didn't want to use most of the same songs I used for the last cd swap, and I was having trouble coming up with a good mix. That's when I had the idea for a themed mix, which made things slightly more interesting.

I'm not positive who I'm sending to, but I think it might be Martin. He was the one who sent me a cd during the last swap, so it might make sense to reverse it this time around. Also, the person I'm sending to is named Martin somethingorother. As for the design, no I hadn't really intended any of the other ironies. Also, it's not as small when you print it out. I mean, it's not huge, but neither is it tiny.

My laptop is a 13 inch. I was going for something that would be reasonably portable and once you get to 15 or 17 inch, things get much less portable. It's a good size, I like it a lot:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2009

Oooh, is it one of the Dell mini models? I almost bought one but decided not to since my current laptop is doing just fine. I just liked the idea of the solid-state drive and the supreme smallness of it. Plus they're cheap... but what's cheaper is not spending money I don't need to. :P
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

No, it was an Inspiron. I've looked into a couple of netbooks, and they don't seem... right. They're slightly more capable than, say, an iphone... but they're nowhere near as portable (and they're slightly more expensive than the iphone). They're slightly more portable than a laptop, but nowhere near as good as a laptop (and they're only slightly less expensive). They're kinda the worst of both worlds. If I need something more than my iphone can give me, I might as well go for a full laptop. 13 inches is pretty good for that. Solid state drive would be pretty cool though.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea

I want the worst of both worlds. I have a desktop and a laptop. But, I never use my laptop anymore because it is bulky and heavy. I do want to get a netbook at some point so I can take a computer when traveling more easily or have a recipe up on the computer on the counter without disaster and major loss of space while cooking, etc.

I wanted to do the CD Swap, but just lost track of it. I've had two possible themes for swap CDs for a couple of years and have partial lists somewhere. The idea is that eventually, I will just put them together and then actually have the CD ready someday before the swap is even announced. But, it hasn't happened.

I still listen to the copy of the one swap CD that I made for Rqeuthe. I never listen to the CD I actually received in the swap. It just wasn't my thing and it didn't have a theme. I don't think you have to have a particularly amazing catalog to pull from if you have a theme and make sure every song works with it. I don't even have a music folder, Spencer. Seriously, just lots of old CDs between what I have and what my boyfriend has. So, don't let your low confidence in your music collection hold you back next time.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Ha, touche. I've never used a netbook for that long, so maybe I'm completely wrong. Do you have a smartphone of some kind? Obviously smartphones are only good for smaller doses of computing, but they get the job done for me when I need real portability...

At this point, aside from my computers, I don't think I even know where my cd players are. I know I have a portable player somwhere, but I haven't used it in like 5 years (or whenever I got my ipod). So I don't listen much to my first CD from the last swap, but there are a couple of songs from it that I listen to and that turned me on to a couple of bands (Eels and Kaiser Chiefs come to mind). I'm really happy with my horny mix. I was listening to it this morning, just to make sure the songs flowed together well enough, and it wound up better than I expected. I was listening with my headphones on, so I was even able to really pick out the deep French Horn on Manifest Destiny (which is a little hard to hear, but who cares, I like the song:P)

~tallman