Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

It's been a long time since I've checked in. I blame life.

All joking aside, life has actually gotten mostly better in the last few months, aside from work. I finally got out of a long, painful relationship, only to immediately fall into another one with an amazing girl that I've been friends with for a long time...it's a simply astonishing feeling to be so happy with someone after all this time. We'd been friends for about four years, and both had some long simmering feelings for one another, but didn't really know how to make that jump from friendship until a mutual friend pointed out to both of us that we made each other happy, and to stop wasting time.

I missed running in the Providence Marathon back in May, due to a progressive shin injury, but wasn't as bummed as I would have expected. In retrospect, in addition to fun and exercise, running was a huge outlet for my relationship misery and frustration, and once it changed so quickly, I found that I wasn't as worried about running. I do need to start again, particularly to alleviate work stress, but still, it's not as critical as it used to be.

Work has become hell, but really, I have no right to complain, I should have gotten out of there as soon as I finished school. There is a light at the end of the tunnel...after years of insisting I hated the idea of teaching, I'm coming around to the idea that I might actually make an ok teacher. I'm looking into the quickest and easiest way to get certified, and plenty of school systems need high school math teachers...it might not be where I thought I would end up, but it's a start, and needn't be permanent.

I missed commenting on the new Star Trek (not bad, could have been worse), and Wolverine (eh, it was ok, could have been better). I did see Drag Me To Hell a month or so ago, and thought it was good fun. I also saw The Hangover, and thought that was good fun too, and funnier than I expected.

And I just got back from a week spent in upstate New York, on one of the Thousand Islands in the St. Lawrence River, where my girlfriend's best friend's family has a vacation house. It was the most relaxed I've been in years...I didn't wear shoes, shave, drive a car, or think about work for the entire week...the only bad part was coming back...oh, and learning that Pabst Blue Ribbon makes me sick...even only a few of them.

See, Rochester, NY has this amazing liquor store called "Beers of the World." And we stopped there to stock up on beer for the week on the island, and I got a bunch of fantastic, expensive, high quality beers from all over the world, but due to budget constraints and the need for a higher volume of beer, I decided that a case of PBR was a good idea. It was not. Even only a few made me feel nauseous and bloated, while the same amount of high quality beer made feel that all was right with the world, and more importantly, NOT SICK. There's an important lesson to be learned here: PBR is horrible fucking poison.

I did try some pretty decent wine. I know nothing about wine, and tend to shy away from it, but we toured a small local winery and had a fantastic time, which included a tasting. I still don't know much about wine, but it was fun.

And that's my last few months in a nutshell. I hope everyone is doing well...I feel a bit guilty, I used to be much better at checking in every week or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Had no idea your relationship was painful, but I'm glad you're happy now.

So many people have told me I should teach, but I think that's the standard advice given to people without any real profession or direction. Not knocking teaching at all though. I hope you enjoy it. I would be interested in hearing how you handle discipline. That's the part that worries me.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Glad things seem to have worked themselves out. Sounds like you're happy, which is good:)

Good luck with the teaching. I don't think teaching would be for me, but I might find it interesting to see if I could motivate kids to learn... but I'd probably completely lose control of them. Discipline seems like a rough part of the job...

Heh:

Frank Booth: What kind of beer do you like to drink, neighbor?
    Jeffrey Beaumont: Heineken.
    Frank Booth: Heineken? Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!

Haha. Pabst is actually mildly foul. Perhaps a step up from Beast or Natty, but that's not saying much. Like you, I prefer the good beers. Been drinking a lot of Rare Vos lately.

A bunch of friends at work and I are going to do a case swap thing where we all buy a case, then get together and mix it up so that we each get some from each case. If we can get 12 people, that means we'll get 2 bottles of 12 different beers, which should be pretty cool.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2009

Beer swap things are a great time, particularly with people who have great taste in beers. I've also done the same with Scotch, though the expense level there is much higher.

Yeah, I'd reached the point a while ago where I sort of shut down and didn't even talk about how miserable I was. I've never initiated change in my life very well, even when I know I need to, so I stayed in a unhappy situation way longer than I should have...but that's all in the past, and I'm actually really happy now, which felt pretty strange at first.

I worry about having to discipline kids too, and in fact, that's one of the things that kept me from pursuing the line of work. I guess I got to the point of unhappiness at my current job, and had enough people telling me that I should teach, I'd make an ok teacher, etc. Still quite a bit to be done to get there, but at least I'm doing something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2009

I, too, have been craptacular at checking in here, and keep meaning too but then I'm tired or have to work late or have ten billion other things to do or my computer explodes. Oy.

Glad to hear you are in a much better situation, foucault. I had no idea it was so bad for you but that it's so much better now is great!
    Also, yeah, Pabst Blue Ribbon is vile. Actually, I'm glad that's been confirmed for me, 'cause I've only ever had it after a lot of prior drinking and I was never sure if PBR was actually disgusting or if I just shouldn't have been drinking any more at those points. Anyway, good luck with the teaching move. The discipline thing would worry me too, but being able to control a class of teenagers and teach them something on top of that is something for which I have a great amount of respect.