Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009

According to the schedule, I'm a week behind in the whole Infinite Summer thingy. I blame Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig (jeeze that's a long title). 26 episodes in like 4 days.

Anyway, still not sure about Infinite Jest, but a few disjointed thoughts which I will probably flesh out in a blog post at some point (yes, forum readers, you get a crappy preview of what I'm sure will be a crappy blog post! Lucky you!)

- It's fun to read. He uses a lot of big words and it's not something I'd want to read with lots of distractions about, but it makes sense most of the time. Of course, there seem to be a ton of characters and I'm pretty sure I haven't met them all yet. There are some weird interconnections too. For instance, there's one endnote that winds up being like 10 pages long, detailing the filmography of the father of one of the characters. Several of the films described there seem to intersect with many of the chapters I've read. I have no idea what this book is about, and I have a suspicion that it won't be about anything.

- He uses single quotes when doing dialogue. No idea why, but it has to be deliberate. Or maybe not.

- It appears to take place in the future. A future in which fusion has been invented and years are sponsored by corporations (i.e. Year of the Tucks Medicated Pad, Year of the Whopper, etc...). These are kinda amusing, but they also obscure when the story is actually taking place. Kinda clever, actually.

- There are a lot of drugs in here. Tons. A lot of these style books seem to fixate on drugs for some reason. This doesn't seem coincidental, though I'm not sure what that means.

I could probably keep going, but I should probably go to bed.

~tallman