Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2009

My niece's birthday party was last weekend. She had it at a Roller Rink, and everyone went roller skating (or roller blading). To be honest, I suck at it. I've probably only been on skates for like 20 minutes of my life, so I'm surprised that I didn't fall on my face and break my head or something. But I made it around the rink a couple of times, going pretty slow. Fleh.

Anywho, things going well enough I guess. It's been a busy two weeks at work. We were getting really behind on a big project, but we've made a lot of progress during this week. Of course, we're still behind, but we're doing better. I tell you, I don't know how this thing is going to get done. All the teams are working in parallel, but there are all these dependencies between teams. I'm working on wireframes, which should technically drive the design team, who hands off to the HTML team, who hands off to the final coding team. But again, we're all working in parallel, which leads to situations like sorry, we can't add that to the wireframe because the coding team is already finished with that screen. Thanks a lot! Why are we even bothering with the wireframes then!? Of course, I'm simplifying and the idea is to do iterations, but still.

Tomorrow is talent review day. There's a six hour block on my calendar, but I'm hoping it will take less time than that. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be shorter than that. Not sure why they scheduled it for six hours. But I've got all my reviews done, so I should be fine...

Looking forward to a relatively blank weekend. A bunch of movies out in the theater that I actually want to see. Gran Torino, Taken, The Uninvited (which I'm pretty sure is the Tale of Two Sisters remake). Next week is Friday the 13th remake, which I'm oddly looking forward to. Heh.

Currently reading The Left hand of Darkness (at the recommendation of Sov). About 2/3 of the way there, and it's getting better as it goes. Not sure what I'll read after that. I have some Arthur C. Clarke book, and a Chalker book, and a Greg Egan book and a China Mieville book and perhaps someday I should get around to reading Infinite Jest, which has been sitting on my shelf for like 5 years.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2009

Skating! Despite my near-complete lack of grace, I do quite enjoy such activities. You sound about as good at it as I am. I could probably get better if I still had that fearlessness that children have.

How did talent review day go? Sounds, uh, time-consuming.

I saw Taken last weekend. Not bad, but nothing spectacular. It's about what you'd expect from the previews.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Skating is fun. I prefer rollerblades. I'm not graceful either, but moreso out of fear. I took some bad falls on (4-wheeled) skates as a kid, so now I am overly cautious and slow on them. I might be more daring if wearing full-body armor.

Do you guys go ice skating? I've never done that. I wonder how different it is from rollerblading?

I got 6 books from the library last month, and they were originally due back this Tuesday, but I've only read one of them. I've been slow about reading a second. I haven't been in much of a reading mood. What kind of reader are you? Can you limit yourself to two hours, or do you get too caught up in a book to put it down? I'm of the latter (only if it's good obviously). It's harder to fall asleep if I've been reading several hours before bed.

We're going to watch Indiana Jones: Kingdom of the Crystal Skull today. It should be fun - just lying on the couch for a couple of hours being mildly entertained. Maybe one of the cats will join us. The kitten chewed a hole through another shirt of Charles'. It's a good thing she's cute, or we would have shipped her off to Antarctica by now.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I could totally get better at skating (roller or ice) if I had the time or inclination to do so, but at this point, I'm not particularly interested to do so... I've actually never been ice skating...

Talent review went fine. It didn't take 6 hours, but it still took a while. Also, we did more than just my 5 people (though I only lead the discussion for my 5). It's an exhausting process though...

I saw Taken and pretty much agree. It's a fun little action movie, and it makes me want to talk like Liam Neeson does all through my life. "I want you to listen to me very carefully and do exactly what I say, when I say it. I have a pack of gum here. I'm going to hand you a dollar bill. When I do so, I want you to enter it into the register and then I want you to, slowly, give me my change. Go." The preview for this movie is fantastic though. I imagine it's a big part of why the movie is doing so well.

Crystal Skull... I was unimpressed, though I didn't hate it. I thought it was rather forgettable, actually. When I started doing all this year end movie stuff on the blog, I almost forgot that it came out this year.

Cats. Hmmm, you may enjoy this:

Hehehe.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2009

Ice skating is kinda similar to roller blading but kinda not. I don't really know how to describe it. First time I went roller blading I found it easier once I thought about it being similar to ice skating but it never worked the other way around (nothing I learnt about moving on roller blades has helped me skate better on ice). But I also kinda suck at both so any details I could provide probably wouldn't help anyway.

I started reading Chronicles by Bob Dylan, which chronicles (ho ho!) the early days of his career. Pretty interesting so far. Also, I hate it admit it, but the reason I finally started reading it (got it for Christmas) was because the power supply on my desktop computer shorted out. My laptop's not terribly comfortable (and doesn't have Photoshop, all my data, etc. on it) so I'm not spending much time on it, so figured I should do something more constructive with my time before replacing the PSU. Hopefully that doesn't stop when my computer's up and running again. :)

That punching cat image is awesome!
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2009

Hey, did you finish the book? Final thoughts?

If you liked it and want to read more from her, I would recommend The Lathe of Heaven or The Dispossessed.

Or you could give Octavia Butler a try. Her stuff is more serious. Some of it is downright depressing, I won't lie. But, she's such a great writer that no matter how heartbreaking it gets, it is still fascinating and I can't stop reading.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2009

I did indeed like it and will probably be reading The Dispossessed at some point as well (for now, I still have a backlog on my shelves, so it might be a while). The story was good and it seems like it would be a fertile ground for in-depth exploration (what with the gender and politics), but I think what I enjoyed the most was the way it was written. Le Guin has a much better way with words than most of her contemporaries. Folks like Arthur C Clarke and Isaac Asimov tell good stories with mostly prosaic language. Le Guin has more of a flourish to her language, which I appreciated.

I'll probably do another roundup of recent SF readings, including more on Le Guin, on the blog in the next couple weeks. I seem to have a backlog of topics these days:p

~tallman