Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2008

I can not remember where I hid the candy I was going to give my husband on Christmas. I wonder if I accidentally threw it away while cleaning the apartment. It's not expensive, but I hate knowing I lost perfectly good candy.

I've looked in every cupboard and box and storage place twice, some places three times. I didn't even try to hide it hard because my husband doesn't care enough to go looking for anything. Hmph.

I'm finished buying presents. Today my sister and I went to the mall to get my dad his birthday (today) and Christmas presents. What we found most of all is that people are rude and oblivious. I don't like being around so many people - many of whom are probably at their wit's end.

My biggest pet peeve is people who are walking along and then suddenly stop to look at something and are completely blocking the aisle. I have enough patience that I don't get mad for being held up. What I don't like is their total lack of courtesy. I look behind and around me before I stop to look at something. If lots of people are behind me, and I would be blocking them, I keep walking and come back when the coast is clear.

Something else that has happened 3 times in the past two weeks: vehicles that get in the left-turning lane only halfway, so that I can not go until they turn. These left-turning lanes are not small, and one is especially generous in its width.

Last complaint, I promise. Christmas music sung by Mariah Carey? I don't even know what song she was singing because it was just her doing that "AHahAHahAHahAHahAHahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! ooooooooohhhhhhhh....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! (eardrums breaking)"

You know what I mean.

I have a migraine - the kind that hurts only when I move. So I'm going to have to sit here and play Text Twist on the computer.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008

I don't have to hide presents, so that's not really a problem for me:p

Every year, I think to myself: "Self, next year, we should really get started early so that we're not stuck running around crowded malls and driving around right before Christmas. Plus, we'll be able to order everything over the internet and not have to worry too much about delivery if we do it early!" Then all of the sudden it's December 15 and I have like 2 presents. Oh well. This year, I'm actually not doing so bad. I have most of my stuff covered, I just need to supplement a couple of the presents with some more stuff. It's hard to find presents for someone like my dad. He loves cooking, so I'm going to try and find him stuff in that vein. It's tough though because he has just about every cooking gadget/pot/pan that he could ever want, so what I've been focusing on is actual foodstuffs, like really good barbeque sauce or hot sauce or torrone (italian nougat thingy, if I can find it which I have not been able to yet (except on the internet, but of course that won't arrive in time)) or other type stuff. I find that he likes stuff that is consumable because he can use it and then it's gone and he doesn't have to deal with more stuff...

I hate that walkway thing, though that bothers me year-round and not just when shopping. Oftentimes, at work, people will walk with their friends, take up an entire aisle and walk really slow. Is it that hard to leave at least one lane so people can pass? So annoying. Like you, I always try to be aware of that sort of thing and even if I am blocking a lane, I'll move if I see someone coming.

I have off this week, so I should have plenty of time to finish shopping, catch up on some reading and watching material, and so on. I'm about 4 or 5 episodes into Trigun, which I have to admit I'm not enjoying all that much. Perhaps it's just because it's way different from what I was expecting, but I'm just not clicking with it. I'll give it one more disc to see if I catch on, but otherwise I might just skip the rest. I dunno why, it just seems dumb and rather silly. These aren't things that always bother me, but for some reason it is here. Fleh.

I also finished Good Omens recently, and that's another that didn't really click so much for me. I liked the idea, but I don't know, maybe I just wasn't in a British humor mood. I would often find myself reading something and thinking to myself "That's clever and funny," but I don't think I laughed out loud once. Maybe I cracked a smile a few times. Perhaps it was because I read it just after Anathem, which is about the opposite in terms of style and content (though that book made me laugh out loud several times). Oh well, onwards and upwards. Currently reading The Icarus Hunt, which is a kinda cookie-cutter SF action novel by Timothy Zahn (of the Thrawn Star Wars books and the Conqueror's trilogy fame) that I'm actually enjoying a lot despite the rather cliched premise. Seems like kinda typical Zahn, which is kinda fun.

Anywho, I should probably go and eat some lunch now, then get ready for shopping. Hope everyone's having a nice holiday season:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008

I don't like to start Christmas shopping until December. I have a very hard time holding on to presents for long; I want to give them right away. Plus I'm afraid if I buy stuff too early, I'll see other things closer to Christmas that I think would be better.

This year I've been kind of crazy. We didn't buy presents last year because we thought we'd have a lot less money with me being in grad school. We know how that went. And since we can't buy a house after all, there's no need to save a few hundred dollars in the near future. Yeah, so I got my husband a G9 Laser Mouse, Mario Kart for the Wii, a poker chip set (used but in great condition), several movies and a TV show on DVD, and two other little things. For family I got movies, books, a set of glasses, really nice dessert dishes, art... Nothing too original really.

I remember being on the fence about Trigun for the first few episodes. I enjoyed it very much after that though. I watched it a long time ago, but I remember it being funny, and the story was interesting. Of course you have to keep watching to understand the story. And it gets much better when Wolfwood appears.

I think I read the first 20 pages of Good Omens one day at the library and decided I wouldn't like it. But it is always highly recommended! I might give it another look one day, but after a trip to Barnes and Noble recently, my reading wish list is HUGE. I have a lot more non-fiction on my list now, most of it on science subjects. Biographies and histories just don't appeal to me on face value, but I'm sure I'd enjoy them once I go into it.

The other day I got a craving for Life Savers. I bought a roll of the five flavors (and so many places don't have them now), and the flavors are different! There's still cherry, orange, and pineapple (my favorite), but raspberry and watermelon instead of lemon and lime. The change happened in 2003 apparently, where have I been?
    Anyway, this discovery led me to reading up about Life Savers, which is how I found this flickr set: Life Savers Stuff.

AWESOME. I love old advertisements. Artistic and original and effective. I would love to have some framed on my office room wall. They would make me smile.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2008

I appear to be in the minority in that I loved Good Omens. For me, it hit the right combination of snarky parody and the "Neil Gaiman universe" where anything is possible, and really bad stuff is likely. That may not make sense. I didn't love it enough to try anything else by Terry Pratchet, as I've heard he's kind of an acquired taste, but maybe down the road.

I'm really lazy at hiding gifts...I just put them in a corner of a closet and throw a sweatshirt or towel over them. I trust the adult world to be adult enough not to look, and if they do, it's only their surprise they're ruining.

Like last year, I did 90% of my shopping online, and the other 10% at the package store (liquor store for all of you but Sam, who is now one of us, and can start using the few odd colloquialisms we have left in New England). I was smarter this year and started about a week earlier, so there was no frantic game of I-sure-hope-that-last-package-comes-in-since-it-has-about-half-of-my-gifts-in-it. I have to wrap everything today, since I procrastinate.

Also...I'm with you 100% on Xmas music, Spence. I used to like Xmas carols maybe a day or two before the holiday, but they're now so omnipresent starting in the beginning of December all the way until Xmas that I just can't stand them at all. I'll spin the Jethro Tull Christmas album a few times, since that's less modern Christmas music than Tull songs about wintertime, some traditional English carols, and some folky-er redos of some similarly themed classic Tull songs.

I'm also partial to old advertisements, particularly the metal Guinness signs. I think they look much cheerier than the slick, glossy stuff we have today, and there's an appealing sense of nostalgia, even if it's for stuff that's from way before I was born. Though, maybe nostalgia's not the right word in that case. I don't know. Words.