Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2008

I hate job searching and interviewing. They're very depressing activities, especially when you don't qualify for much.

I was really hoping to get this one job I interviewed for, and thought went well, but I did not. But hey, at least I got a call back telling me I didn't get the job. The man doing the hiring was so nice that he actually did that, which happens pretty much never.

There are lots of jobs that have an automated/form system for applying. If a job posting specifically states that so many years of experience are required, then the form will have a question like, "Do you have the required X years of experience?" And your choices are Yes or No. I usually don't have the required years of experience (most people want 3-5, whereas I have 2).

Now usually when a posting specifies experience I'll apply even if I don't fit that "requirement" because if they look at my resume they might like me anyway. But with these automated forms, I don't want to select Yes when it would be an outright lie. So, you know, poop.

In other news, we are keeping the kitten. My friend and her bf decided that they may not make the best cat owners, and with my friend's allergy, and my attachment to Sundae, I guess we all felt it was best that I keep her.

I love Sundae a whole lot. But she can be a right pain. I forgot how annoying kittens are at times. Especially at 8 weeks, I just don't think she's capable of learning and altering her behavior.
    We use two negative reinforcements: water and loud noises. Those work for a few seconds, but she'll come right back wanting to bite your ankles again.
    We also try to use positive reinforcement, but at this very hyper age, she really doesn't give a crap about being petted or getting treats. She just wants to PLAY, Why are we ruining her fun damnit?!

She is so confused about the litterbox. She used it fine from age 4-7 weeks. But now she's pooping under my desk, in the dining room, and who knows where all she's peeing. Sometimes she does use the litterbox though.

I could not believe yesterday that she peed right next to one of the adult cat's food bowls, which is not far from her own. She then tracked it everywhere so I had to mop the kitchen.
    Behavior like this in an adult would be indicative of a health issue, but I'm just not sure with Sundae. She doesn't cry out when she's pottying, so I don't know.

I have an appointment set up for her next week. If you're thinking of getting a cat, I strongly advise adopting an adult, or at least a kitten that's 6 months old. Tiny kittens are for the more...patient. Not my best quality actually.

All 4 of my cats have distinct personalities. Every cat I've ever had has been unique. They all have similarities too of course. I wonder if wild cats, like the bobcat, have unique personalities, or is this a result of the domestication of cats? I've watched plenty of animal documentaries in which the researchers talk about the differences between wild animals within a social group.

Sundae's weird thing (all cats have a "weird thing") is that she'll go to sleep, and when she wakes up - even if it's for just a second - she'll meow this special meow. She doesn't use this meow any other time. She usually purrs as well. Then she'll go back to sleep and you're like, What? What was that about?

She definitely purrs up a storm when she wakes up for good, and then she wants to eat. Every single time - never fails. I think this is left over from me waking her to give her a bottle. I wonder if she'll grow out of this behavior.

Man, I am so sorry to go on and on about my damn cats. I AM the crazy cat lady. I've embraced it.

Has anyone else had the new Snickerdoodle ice cream by Blue Belle? Is Blue Belle a national brand? If not, a lot of you may not know what I'm talking about.
    It's really good. It's basically just cinnamon ice cream, which I had not been able to find outside of ice cream eateries.

Does anyone else now regret the primaries starting early? I am so tired of politics. This has gone on too long. It might be better for states, but it's no good for my sanity.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2008

Good luck with the job hunt. It's been so long since I've done anything like that (though I have been on the other side of the table a lot) and I'm not especially anxious to do it again anytime soon.

I've never heard of Blue Belle ice cream, but I do like me a snickerdoodle every now and then. However, my ice cream consumption has changed recently. Ever since I figured out how to approximate a Dairy Queen Blizzard with my blender, I've been making all sorts of fun stuff. My favorite so far is to take magic shell chocolate (the stuff that hardens when it gets cold), some caramel, and plain cookie (I've been using nilla wafers) and chuck that in with some vanilla ice cream. Mmmm, kinda like a twix, but in ice cream form. The only problem is that the blender might mix things up a bit too much. Still, it's good.

I hate politics these days and have pretty much avoided them as much as possible since the 2004 elections. I don't know how I ever really got into it. I think I just wanted to learn more about politics, etc.. and once I got to a point where I knew stuff, I lost interest. It's a frustrating subject. Sometimes it's nice to get yourself all fired up about something, but I haven't been too excited about it for a while. I've been trying to pay attention lately, cause, you know, how can you not, but still. It sucks.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008

Your frozen dessert creations sound deeee-lish. What kind and brand of vanilla do you use? I prefer French Vanilla, which has egg custard I think. I lika me some Twix, so I might have to try that.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2008

I generally just get what's on sale. I think the last one I used was Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean. Seemed to work fine. I think the important part is actually the magic shell chocolate stuff. It sorta breaks up, but stays solid, and it's very tasty. Mmm.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2008

I find job searching very nerve wracking too...and I know the feeling of never quite meeting all the qualifications in the exact way they seem to want. The worst aspect is...in order to find a job, you have to apply for everything in sight, which means more filling out stuff, more interviews, more stress. I don't like the process.

I pretty much loathe all forms of politics...there was a time for me too that I felt interested, but that's long gone now.

That concoction sounds fantastic, tallman. It makes me think of a farmstand we have up here in CT where they make and sell their own ice cream, from the milk they got right there on sight. They make amazing flavors that sound a lot like that, all homemade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008

You people and your deliciousness! I'm should be going to bed, now thinking of going to get ice cream!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008

MMM, I made one last night that had the magic shell stuff and some nestle crunch. Not as balanced as the other one, but quite good:P