Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008

My husband and I spent the majority of the day yesterday at Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels. We went as a part of his company's summer party, so we didn't have to pay for it, which was nice.

We had a good time. There were a few really fun rides. But, most of them weren't that exciting. After doing white-water rafting and kayaking, the water park probably wasn't as fun for us as it is for other people. Still, it's not like I get to go zipping through watery tubes every day right?

On several of the intertube rides, the water wasn't flowing forcefully enough so that we would often get stuck in one spot, swirling around and around. That was frustrating but hilarious at the same time. Here you are getting sucked down an incline pretty fast, and you think you'll just fly on to the next one, but a little eddying current sucks you back. Fortunately, the water was only 2-3 feet deep, so you could stand up and walk out of the trouble spot.

I am so sore today. My arms, legs, and abs. I also got a sunburn (didn't re-apply sunblock) and some wounds from my water shoes rubbing against my skin. Later that night I banged my shins up on my stairs to my apartment. Combined with banging my head FOUR times against various surfaces in the past week, I'm feeling a little run down.

Sundae the kitten is doing so great. She suddenly decided to start using her litterbox one day. Yay! Now she's climbing, running, and getting rambunctious. She's also very sweet towards the people she's used to. She likes to lick my face, and yeah, that's disgusting, but it's so cute and makes me feel so loved!
    My friends can't wait to bring her home for good. I am indeed jealous that they'll get to have such a wonderful kitty in their lives.

I started two sewing projects, but neither is going well. The directions that come with sewing patterns are often confusing to the inexperienced. And then for one of them I'm using a difficult material, at least for my level of skill. I suppose I'll only get better as a result of working through the difficulties.

Not a whole lot else going on. I've read some decent books lately. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn kept me reading almost non-stop, but it was sometimes hard to keep reading due to the viciousness of certain characters. And unfortunately I know that the people and events that angered or sickened me exist in real life.

I really liked the last movie we saw - Everything is Illuminated. And we've been watching the documentary Carrier, airing on PBS. There are 10 episodes, and I think this week is #9. I would recommend it to all of the regular forum posters here.

Who else would like to share?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008

Hi Spence! Sounds like a fun day at the amusement park. I haven't been to a place like that in a while.

I'm actually on vacation next week, and will be going to the beach for a good portion of the week. The rest of my family is heading down there too. It's my brother's birthday, so we'll be celebrating that.

I think I'm developing carpel tunnel syndrome or something. My right hand sometimes has this dull pain, especially in my pinky and, uh, the finger next to the pinky (ring finger?) I can tell this is totally because I spend too much time on the computer, so I've been trying to avoid that when possible. It's hard, because I'm so used to constantly being on the computer. But, aside from tonight, I've actually been pretty good about that (this is partly why I haven't been around much and also why my blog posts have been somewhat lackluster recently - I don't want to spend too much time on them, though I did tonight because MT started acting up. Fleh.) Anyway, I bought a couple of wrist brace thingys which seem to help. I have one that I can wear while typing, which seems to help, and another that's more immobilizing (I wear that when I sleep). I actually feel a lot better this week than I have for the past couple weeks...

I've also been trying to get back into shape. I started exercising last Saturday, though I missed today's session because of the stupid problems on my blog which I only recently resoved (i.e. at 12:30 in the AM). The last time I started exercising, I did really well until I got sick, at which point I stopped and never got back on track. It'll be nice if I can keep this up for a while, as I've really gotten out of shape in the past year or so...

Zoe's Tale came in the mail today, so it looks like I'll have something fun to read at the beach next week:)

Is Carrier about an aircraft carrier? It looks like it's on Netflix's watch online thingy, so I might check that out. Looks interesting.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008

I've never actually been to an amusement park. I'm not as upset about that as you might expect. I mean, I am an adult now, it's well within my means to go to an amusement park if I so choose to, I just haven't ever bothered.

I am also curious about Carrier...and what is Zoe's Tale, tallman? I'm always on the lookout for something fun to read.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008

So you've never been on a roller coaster? What about Disney World/Land?

Zoe's Tale is a SF book by John Scalzi. It's a semi-sequel to his Old Man's War series of books (it actually takes place in parallel with The Last Colony - basically telling the same story from a different perspective a la Ender's Shadow, which is a book I haven't read, but which I'm told does the same thing)

If you want to read something fun, check out Old Man's War. Great military SF and Scalzi is a real page turner. If you like it, you can check out the sequels, The Ghost Brigades (another page turner, but not as good as OMW - in fact, there is one galactic-sized plot hole in this that kinda bothered me. Still a fun read though) and The Last Colony (again, a page turner, I think a little better than TGB, but still not as good as OMW). I just finished Zoe's Tale today. It was interesting, as it was told from the perspective of the 16 year old daughter of the heroes from the first 3 books. I think he may have overdone the lovey dovey aspects and the hugs, but otherwise, it's decent. I think I just liked revisiting the characters again though.

I think I'll watch Carrier on Netflix right now:)

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008

tallman has probably already figured this out, but Carrier is a 10 hour documentary about life on the carrier USS Nimitz in a 6 month deployment back in 2005. It took the film-makers two years to edit the material. It's aired on PBS twice at least. I don't know if it will be aired again.

The documentary tries to show all aspects of life on the ship, and it focuses on a few people throughout their deployment. I think they did a good job of capturing the different types of people with their varying opinions about the war.

I hope you don't have any permanent problems from the carpel tunnel, tallman. I once thought I might have had that, but then I realized my workspace was so freaking cold that it hurt to move. I've never understood why so many buildings are kept extremely cold. Don't they care about saving money on electricity?

Schlitterbahn was fun, and the best part was being physically active all day. I don't like to workout in the sense that most people mean. I get so extremely bored on a treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, etc. That's why I love kayaking so much. It's an activity that doesn't injure my legs and back (no impact with the ground), and if I paddle correctly, I strengthen my core muscles, which is even better for my back. Plus, my mind is kept occupied by my surroundings. I used to jog with a friend in college, but I didn't really like that because (aside from the shin pain) my mind had nothing to do but think about stuff I didn't want to think about anymore - lack of money, classwork, boys, etc. I guess a lot of people "zone out" during activities like that, but I can't. My wheels are constantly turning.

I've never been on a real roller coaster (just on a kiddie one when I was little). I don't know if I would want to ride one. I like the water slides, and I'm not afraid of heights, but something about roller coasters really freak me out. They're super-fast and change direction a lot, and I'm prone to vertigo.

I just finished Dreamsongs, which is a collection of short stories by George R. R. Martin. Has anyone else here read his Song of Ice and Fire series? I've loved it so far. Martin has written lots of science fiction and fantasy, the latter of which he may be most known, but he's also written "horror" (didn't scare me much). I like sci-fi more than fantasy, but I don't think his Song of Ice and Fire series is like other fantasy I've read. It's realistic.
    Anyway, I liked most of what I read in Dreamsongs, except for the very first story. Horrible way to start off a collection; I may not have checked it out from the library if I had read the first page before leaving. His sci-fi is very good. He does tend to have too many humanoid aliens than what would be realistic, but he does have other very odd aliens.

So if you're interested, I strongly suggest you just skip the first story. Also, the volume is split into sections based upon genre, and before each section, Martin goes on and on for several pages about the troubles he had publishing his stories. I skimmed those parts. That sort of stuff doesn't interest me.

I'm kind of jumping all over the place.

My sister's two daughters have been living in Louisiana with their father, but they evacuated today. Luckily it only took them 7 or 8 hours to get to Austin. They were affected by Rita, and my sister didn't want them having to sit through the scariness of a hurricane and then the potential power outages again. After Rita, they had no power, so they had to suffer through the sweltering, humid heat. Ugh, I hate Louisiana weather.

Sundae, the kitten, is now 7 weeks old. She has just been weaned off the formula and bottle. We had made no progress with weaning until Friday. She didn't even know that the dry kitten food we bought her was edible. So while I was playing with her, I got her on her back where she was swatting at a toy with her mouth open ready to bite. I dropped a kibble into her open mouth (better than forcing it in). She moved it around and swallowed. I did this several more times. The next step was getting her to pick the kibbles off the floor with her mouth. She finally did that and actually started chewing them. But she still didn't want to eat them out of a dish; she didn't like the sound the kibbles made against the plastic. *eye roll* But she got past that hurdle and even started lapping water up all by herself. I was so proud.
    She still comes running into the kitchen when she hears the beeping sounds from the microwave. She knows those sounds are usually followed by a bottle. I've given her the bottle a few more times, but I've diluted the formula even more. I'll give her one more bottle tomorrow, and that's it.
    Once my friend is moved into her new house and has a safe room set up for Sundae, she can go to her forever home. =( I'll be sad, but I know my friends really love Sundae, so I have no anxiety about her future.

I've been looking for a job. I had a good interview last Wednesday, and I hope to get a call back. The job isn't anything special or super-exciting, but I think I'd like it well enough. If not that, I'll find something else. I hope. Even if I don't land a fantastic job that I'd want to work for a long time, it'd be nice to work for some period of time and save up some money.
    You engineers and computer people are so lucky. You know that's what you want to do (I hope), there's a market for it, and it pays well. I hear my husband talk about his work as a computer architect and the switches in my head turn off. Not because I can't understand what he's saying, but because it's so boring. Well, sometimes it's interesting. I find his workplace and company dynamics more interesting, i.e. why one product is lauded over another, why the lawyers don't like something, what one team thinks of another. Although I remember that sort of stuff at my last job, and most of it was no fun to work through.

My husband's been playing Combat Arms. It's a "free to play, online multiplayer first-person shooter." Charles doesn't usually doesn't like FPS, but I think Combat Arms is a good game to play when you don't feel like thinking. Kind of like Solitare or Tetris. Not too much strategy involved.

Alright, I'll shut up for tonight (er, today, it's 1:10am).
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008

Nope, no roller coasters, no Disney World/Land. My mom doesn't like amusement parks, so they were banned growing up. By the time I got old enough to go on my own, my priorities had shifted...I grew into liking other things more, and I've just never had enough interest to go to one. I'm sure that if someone else took me to an amusement park, I'd have a blast, but it hasn't happened yet.

I (obviously) love running. I don't exactly zone out when I'm out running, but I really enjoy the alone time...I think it helps me sort out my thoughts, and I don't really dwell on anything negative, mostly because I'm constantly interrupted by running related concerns, like "I'm almost out of water."

Spencer, I have the latest Song of Fire and Ice book on (semi-permanent?) pre-order. I absolutely love that series, though the time between the books just keeps getting longer and longer. It is easily the best fantasy series I've ever read. I've always meant to check out his other stuff, but have never gotten around to it.