Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008

DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE.

It is horrible. So bad. And I mean bad bad, not bad ass.

Terrible script, terrible execution. There is very graphic gore. When there isn't gore, there's stupid dialogoue. Zooey Deschenel's character is annoying by her sheer lack of dimensionality and weirdness, due in part to the writing and bad acting.
    The characters were not realistic at all. From the beginning the dialogoue seemed weird. I kept hoping it would be related to the plot device in the movie. But no, just bad writing and acting.

The premise upon which tension exists between the two main married characters is ridiculous. There's no chemistry between them, and I couldn't have cared less about what happened to either.

If you are a big movie fan and are not turned off by gore, then maybe you should see this movie just so you can experience the very bottom of the abyss to which movies can sink, so that you will then appreciate all others after it.

If you want to know what the "happening" is, just read some spoilers. You'll probably find moviegoers' descriptions of it more entertaining than the movie itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008

What a shame. I didn't see it based mostly on the violent hatred I've seen in reviews for this film, but I almost do want to go see it now.

At this point, I'll probably enjoy it. Both The Village and Lady in the Water were enjoyable to me, despite (or perhaps because of) the bad reviews...

Still, there has been this downward trend in his work, and I honestly don't think the trailer is all that exciting...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008

I didn't think it was a real trailer the first time I saw it. I thought it was, like, some kind of elaborate hoax or a joke or something. But no, it's real. He's definitely spiraling into an abyss of total suckitude, if you ask me. Villiage was so bad, I almost walked out of the theater, and I'd called the "twist" before we were ten minutes into the film. The bad accents made me want to gouge out my ears. I decided not to see anymore of his films after that. Which is too bad, because Unbreakable was great.

I think that part of the problem is that he's almost too eager to tell his stories. It's like, he gets so excited by whatever stupid plot twist he's come up with that the rest of the film suffers. With Unbreakable, he made a pretty cool film about an unusual character, but he got so excited by his twist that he blurted it all out at once, by having the character just come out and say it. Dumb. With The Villiage, he had the makings of a pretty cool period piece with the weird monster thing, but he got so fixated on the Big Twist that he threw that plot arc under the bus. Boo. And reading about this one? Ugh. Horrible. And now I hear that he's trying to say that he's just created the greatest B-Movie of the decade or something?

No, friend, you have not. You can't just claim it's a B-Movie because it's bad. That's not how it works.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2008

I broke down and saw The Happening. It sucks.

Now, I've generally gone against the grain on Shyamalan. I enjoyed The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but apparently nowhere near as much as a lot of people. Signs was awesome right up until the end, which was a little weak (thematically fine, but pragmatically dumb). Everyone seemed to hate The Villaage, but I actually kinda enjoyed it (perhaps because I wasn't expecting much). Similarly, Lady in the Water got even worse reviews and word of mouth, but I enjoyed that too (though it was obviously a step down from Shyamalan's other work).

The Happening, though, is awful. This is the worst movie I've seen this year and probably last year too. I guess conceptually it's kinda ok, but the exectution was truly horrible. I think the primary problem is the writing, particularly the dialogue, which is just plain bad.

I think the problem is that Shyamalan doesn't believe studios when they tell him that his script sucks. Apparently he had trouble getting both Lady in the Water and The Happening financed, and rather than take a hint, he just saught financing elsewhere (I think the Happening wasn't even financed by US studios). Hopefully, at this point, he'll realize that maybe the script he wrote isn't the greatest thing ever and allow some people to help him out....

On the other hand, I'm interested to see what he'd do with another writer. He's apparently directing the Avatar: The Last Airbender movies, which should be interesting (if he's not writing the script, that is).

~tallman