Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008

Its been at least three months since I posted here, thought I'd catch up. I 've got light week in Kuala Lumpur after a couple weeks in Thailand watching that mess next door in Burma. I was eating fried baracuda in a restaurant on the Andamen coast not far from Burma and it dawned on me that fish eat human remains and there are a lot of human remains floating about in the Andaman at the moment -- 100,000 they say. It makes you realise the magnitude of disaster in this part of the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008

Yikes. Not a good time for natural disasters in the East these days. Apparently a really bad earthquake in China today too (7 or 8 on the richter scale), though the casualties are not nearly as high.

So how are things otherwise? What does baracuda taste like?

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorgrenville
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2008

Baracuda tastes like a rich sort of fish. You wouldn't know it was baracuda unless the menu says it is and its a respectable restaurant that doesn't substitute.

They do the disaster thing big scale in these parts, exacerbated by the human factor -- blast the coral reefs and flatten the mangroves and you are more vulnerable to tsunami and tidal surges, mine the forests for hard woods and you get landslides and pay off local politicians to get around building codes and you get buildings that fall down in earthquakes.

As for me, I'm getting sick of Asia -- except for the food and the European colonial heritage. The corruption, sterility of intellectual life and subtle authoritarianism gets you down after a while. I need a break in Europe to get free of the double think, moronic confusionism and this Chinese Olympics jingoism -- especially the latter nonsense.