Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008

So yesterday, I realize that I'm running out of food. Sorta. I was trying to run out of food. It's a spring cleaning type thing. I'm a big fan of freezing stuff (kinda have to be, as cooking for one typically leaves you with stuff left over), but the problem with that is that I end up putting things in the freezer and then forgetting about them. So every now and again, I clean house and live for a week or two on stored food. Anyway, I went out for some veggies and fresh stuff and when I came back, I was locked out.

Mind you, I didn't forget my keys or anything. It was actually my screen door that was the problem (it had glass, not screens, as we're just coming out of winter...). It doesn't have a locking mechanism, the latch just wasn't working. I couldn't press the little button thingy in all the way.

This was most frustrating. Here I am on my front steps, and I can't open my screen door. I go back to my car, grab some tools. Crap, the screws for the latch aren't on the outside (kinda expected, really). Ok, I'll just try to jimmy the door open with a screwdriver. Put a nice dent in the soft wood around my door, but didn't make much progress. So now I'm more frustrated. I try a couple other things to no avail. It's been about 20 minutes, and I'm getting even more frustrated. I'm debating going to my neighbor's house and asking if I can go out on their deck, so that I can climb over to my deck and enter through the back door (ba-dum-dum-tsss). Anyway, one last thing occurs to me. Let's use a credit card to flip the latch!

But I don't want to ruin my credit cards, so I try my grocery store card (good for something), but the door frame has a lip (presumably to avoid the security risk of exactly what I was trying to do), so I need a card that can bend. A ha! My blockbuster card, unused for like 3 years comes to the rescue. After another 10-15 minutes of fiddling and bending the card around, I get it open. Phew.

Let me tell you, it was fun. A real blast.

Anyway, not much else going on. Work, work, and work. And movies. Watching a lot of DVD commentaries lately (er, listening I guess). Curently listening to The Thing commentary with John Carpenter and Kurt Russell. They're pretty good as commentaries go. Some of them really suck. Some are great though. I shall save my other thoughts for a blog post (at my rate, you'll probably see that in a couple of months)

I've started exercising again. I got really out of shape last year because of all the crazy work schedules, so I've got to be extra good this year. I've been going for about 2 weeks solid, with a short break for my trip to AC (two days missed). Not bad, though I intentionally started a little light. Just 20 pushups, 20 situps, and 20 minutes on the elliptical thingy. I'm now up to 60, 60, 30. It takes about 1-1.5 hours to exercise and shower, which is about right. Another 4 months of this, and I should be doing well. I probably need to adjust my diet a bit. Another problem with working too much is that you get used to eating crappy food (because it's quick).

That's all for now. How's everyone else? I understand our boy Sammy is moving east... interesting:)

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008

That's the rumor.

In fact, I'm now in Boston, looking for steady work and a place to live. Oh, and trying to get used to the absolutely horrifyingly bad mess of tangled up ugliness they call a "road system" here. Seriously, I've never seen such a confusing knotted up bundle of one-way streets and alleys. And gods forbid they use, you know... street signs to indicate the names of major roads. Most of the side-streets for neighborhoods are marked, but only like half of the major roads have signs. Which is sort of inconvenient. Still, I managed to make it to the grocery store and back. Today I try for the post office. Good times. =P

I also got accepted to Simmons' Graduate School of Library and Information Science.
    Now, to come up with the $3k a class it's gonna cost, plus books. Hello student loans!

Ah, poverty, my old friend. Welcome back. =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

$3k a class?!

Geez, a semester (about 4-5 classes) at UT's iSchool was going to cost me $3,000.

I hope you enjoy your studies and that this is the right path for you.

I'm still getting American Libraries and another publication....I can't remember the name. They do make for interesting reading.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Yeah, it's just shy of 3K a class. I think it's 957 per credit, three credits a class. It has the benefit of being one of the top three GSLIS programs in the nation, and being located in rather historic Boston, which means that internships and employment opportunities are going to be absolutely amazing.
    But, yeah, the cost of getting this education is not escaping me. It's no very cheap.

I got some of my FAFSA info back today, and I should hear from them soon about what kind of aid I'm up for, and I'm going to be looking for scholarships and grants out the ass.

I'm very excited about the program, though. =)
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008

I think I was probably paying the same thing back in college (I had a good grant though, so that made things easier). I shudder to think what Villanova's charging these days.

Boston has the worst reputation when it comes to roads and drivers. I haven't actually driven around there much, but I hear it's awful:P

Anyway, best of luck with everything man!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2008

Hey ,that's cool, welcome to New England! It's a great place to live...surly drivers, unfriendly people, cold, wet winters (though you're from Michigan, so ours should be an upgrade, actually)...

Actually marking roads is for amateurs...just wait til you find the ones that are marked...incorrectly.

I'm kidding, of course, I actually love New England, and Boston is easily its best city, despite its drawbacks.

That's fantastic about school, not so fantastic about the cost.

Best of luck with everything...if I can ever be of any help with anything, let me know.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008

Nick pays about 1250 a class for Kent. Which is loads better than 3,000 but if OSU actually had its own program it would be significantly cheaper because he is on staff. So, even though he attends classes on OSU campus, he can't use his tuition benefit for it.

As for how I am doing, I'm very happy to have no big plans or trips coming up. I get to just relax and take care of my house...which is sorely needed. The past few weekends we have been out of town or the weather has been awful. Tommorrow might turn out to be a good day to open up the windows and get some spring cleaning done.

I've been really lax on exercising too, also due to bad weather. But, I've started walking halfway home once a week. I need to get back on the bike, but the room is so cluttered it just depresses me to try to make room at the moment.