Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008

I'm following, like, 5 people on twitter now. Amazing. Anyone here use twitter? I didn't use it much, but then I got into the habit of updating it during the Film Festival, and a couple of people I know started "following" me... and one dude I never heard of too (apparently a film geek though, which is cool by my book).

Anyway, if you use twitter, let me know. FYI, I'm "mciocco" on twitter:P My avatar is a little pitfall harry icon thingy.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008

There are times when I want to mention a little thing about my day but don't think I should make a livejournal post just for that. I guess Twitter would be used for that purpose. But I doubt I would remember to update it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008

I have the same thought. But I do find myself using it more these days. Not sure if it's something I'll keep up with, but once I started following some other folks (and they started following me), it got a little more interesting (you can reply to other people, etc... kinda like a limited message board)...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008 edited

Synchronicity...yesterday's Penny Arcade was about Twitter-ing.

Penny Arcade - Le Twittre

I never really knew anything about it until I read the comic...and here was the next site I happened to visit...thus I knew what it was all about.

It's a neat concept...but I lead far too boring a life to bother updating anyone on its minutiae.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008

Heheh. "OK poop is coming out"

Heh.

I'm finding that I don't update often, but it gets interesting when you start following/being followed by a bunch of people, because people will respond and a (short) conversation is possible. Almost like a public IM or chat, but not as annoying. Honestly, I tend to just update with whatever movie I'm watching and whatnot. I'd say my average is 2-3 tweets a day...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

I joined.

http://twitter.com/Stupendousness
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

And I'm now following you. Fantastic:P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008

I managed to mess up the most very basic html with that link, because I am a jackass. It's fixed now.

I like the idea of Twitter as a sort of public IM...but I've also spent the last few years shying as far from IM as I could. I might be some sort of Luddite, at this point.

I once referred to a friend of mine, who actually is a bit of a Luddite, to the point that he refuses to own a cell phone, as "some sort of proto-Unabomber."
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2008

I saw an article on CNN today about a student journalist that was arrested in Egypt and was able to use twitter to alert people who knew about the situation and kick start the process of getting him released. Viewed in that light, it's an interesting and even practical application. I'm not so sure it would be worth much to me personally at this time. I might find it much more helpful if I lived alone. Sort of an modernized version of calling someone and letting them know when I was walking somewhere alone and then calling them back when I arrived safely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2008

When I first heard about Twitter, I didn't get why anyone would do it, and then I eventually realised that it's the perfect thing to send online all the random crap that I would otherwise just text people throughout the day. I still don't have an account but I may cave and sign up. I was updating my Facebook status through my phone throughout last weekend while at Coachella concerning the bands I was seeing and that was kinda fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008

What is up with random people deciding to follow you (the general you)?

Some youngish woman in California ("the valley") was following me. I don't mind strangers following my twitter, but this person was not very bright, and I no longer wished to be associated with her in any way, so I blocked her.

Now some guy in SF is following me. He's following 2,322 people. Why so many?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2008

There are definitely spammers and whatnot who try that sort of stuff. I usually just ignore people like that, though I can understand why some people would not like these random folks following them...
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008

One of the guys I follow recently wrote something on his blog about twitter, and there's a section about twitter users who follow thousands of other users. Some are spammers, some are doing it as a social experiment, some are attempting to game twitter to see how many people they can get following them (and following someone else means that that person might start following you)

http://www.doshdosh.com/how-to-get-more-twitter-followers/

This guy follows over 2000 people, but I follow him and he says interesting stuff (along my lines of work, which is why one of my twitter friends recommended him to me - not that I have a lot of twitter friends:P).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2008

Very interesting.

I had an inkling that those Twitter people followed lots of users in order to get others to follow them in return. But I wasn't sure why. Now I see that there are at least a few reasons. 1) Some people in this world thrive on popularity and being noticed. 2) If people are following your Twitter stream, then they'll be exposed to whatever info you want to spam. Duh.

After reading the first few paragraphs of that page you linked to written by Maki, I thought "Wow, so it's just high school all over again."

I'd like to find more people on Twitter to follow, but I prefer that I know them in real life or have lots of common interests so that I enjoy reading their tweets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2008

I'm Twittering! I'm a twit! I'm cool kids now too!
    http://twitter.com/earlypaintbrush