Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008

I started watching "The Wire" tonight. I've heard a lot about this show and that it's the best thing on TV, etc..., and a friend loaned me the first two seasons on DVD, so I figure, what the heck? I watched 4 episodes tonight. TV on DVD is addictive.

What's going on with everybody? Been kinda quiet around here. I'm mostly keeping busy at work, doing the typical stuff. Vacation starts this Friday, and I'm much looking forward to the break. Also, Philly film fest is coming next week as well. Should be fun.

Well, crap, I got nothing. I had this elaborate plan that I'd post more in the forum every day, but fleh. I'm tired and don't have much else to say, so I'm going to go to bed now. Have a good one.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008 edited

Vacation...I want to take vacation. Lots of vacation.

I too planned to post something new in the forum every day or two, but it turns out, I lead a dull life, and I don't have enough to talk about.

I've started watching Lost, and so far, I'm enjoying it very much. I've been warned that the first season is quite good, but it starts to derail after that, but so far, it's very enjoyable.

I just finished reading a pretty decent work of sci-fi, called Matter, by Iain M. Banks. I've red one by him in the past, called The Algebraist, that I thought was pretty decent. I didn't realize this new one was by the same guy until I saw The Algebraist listed in the "other titles by" thing at the beginning of the book.

At any rate, both were enjoyable, decently fresh sci-fi, with some nice plot suspense. *POSSIBLE SPOILER* I felt like the ending of Matter was a shade too abrupt, almost to the point of Stephenson in The Diamond Age. There was an epilogue, which resolved a rather large hanging question, but nonetheless, it felt a bit hasty, considering the buildup to that point. But that aside, I liked the book, and it's rare to find fresh sci-fi these days. I'll have to investigate more by Banks.

I'm going to see Pearl Jam in June, which is always a good time. I might even hit two shows, which would be neat. I've never gone to see a band more than once on a tour.

Fishing season is coming up. I got new fly-line and leader on Sunday.

See...dull. =\

Oh well, time to go scrounge for food...hope everyone else is doing well!

-foucault
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2008

Over the past 6 months, my sister made me watch Carnivale. I really liked it, but alas, it was canceled after the second season (back in 2006 I think). Lots of people were turned off by the hard-to-understand mythology that is the basis for the show. And I do think that was a major weakness; I stopped caring about why such-and-such happened and the significance of certain things. I kept watching because I loved the characters, which were portrayed by great actors.

Let's see...I believe the last book I recommended was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

First Light by Rebecca Stead was a good, quick read. I enjoyed it, but I didn't think about it much after I finished it.

Being Dead by Vivian Vande Velde is a collection of her short stories about...being dead. I loved the first story, and I think the book is worth picking up just for that. Several others were quite good.

The Terror by Dan Simmons = excellent. I think this is one that you guys, tallman and foucault, would enjoy. Simmons wraps a fictional story around a real-life event, the 1845 Northwest Passage expedition. He takes every little piece of evidence that we have as to what happened to that expedition, and weaves a great story through it all.

I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak was good, but I think I would have liked it more if several of the characters weren't so annoying. I hated Marv and Ed's mother, and to a lesser extent, Ritchie. They're not meant to be loveable characters, but whenever scenes with them appeared, I read quickly to get it over with as soon as possible. But I would still recommend this one.

Cage of Stars by Jacquelyn Mitchard...loved loved loved. Do not look for a description of the story on Amazon.com because it gives too much away. Amazon.co.uk is a bit better: "Twelve-year-old Veronica Swan's idyllic life in a close-knit Mormon community is shattered when her two younger sisters are brutally murdered. Although her parents find the strength to forgive the deranged killer, Scott Early, Veronica cannot do the same. Years later, she sets out alone to avenge her sisters' deaths...But as she closes in on Early, Veronica will discover the true meaning of sin and compassion."

I think Ronnie being a Mormon makes the story more interesting. Not only does she have to grieve for her sisters and find how to regain some degree of normalcy, like any person in her position, she also has to figure out what God wants of her: to forgive or seek retribution.

Charles and I going on vacation at the end of May to Maine. We'll do two days in Portland, four days in The Forks (at a place where we'll do white-water rafting), and two days on and around Deer Isle. I'm really looking forward to it; I think we'll have lots of fun. Several people have told me that Maine is beautiful.

I'm so glad winter is over. I think I've become really adverse to cold weather in my old age. (That's a joke, mostly. I'll be 25 on Friday.) But now the wildflowers have sprouted and the grass is green...or at least greener than usual in most places. The temps are usually in the 70s, sometimes 80s (one day was 92!), but it's been so humid and windy lately. Odd combination huh?

Charles bought an electric guitar and amp. He's been using software tutorials to teach himself how to play. I think he's progressing well. I've tried learning a few chords, but 1) music and I are like oil and water, and 2) those damn strings hurt (the three thinnest ones). I'm willing to experience pain to learn something I enjoy (like kayaking), but I can't handle the feeling that my fingers are being split open.

I've been really happy lately. I enjoy volunteering; I don't feel like I'm stuck in a routine because even though I do have a set schedule for my volunteering time, I get to do a variety of things. And then of course I do all the housework, errands, and paying bills. So I actually remain quite busy.

A large part of me is still bothered that I don't have a career, or a prestigious title or degree (beyond my B.A.). But my desire for those things is superficial - an involuntary wish for that which I've been taught to want. I don't really want any of that, at least not right now. I don't want to convince myself to go back to school to please others, or to fulfill an idealized notion of a successful woman.

I've encountered people who are completely understanding of my situation, and I've encountered others who look down on women who don't work and think volunteering is an acceptable substitution. I hate that what others think still bothers me a bit. I don't know that I'll ever be able to shirk myself of that. But I don't care as much now as I did a month ago.

Hmm....what else? My husband, sister, her semi-boyfriend, and I went to a comedy club a few weeks ago. The headliner was Doug Benson, and he was very funny, but two of the warm-up acts were better. Damn, I can't remember the comedians' names. Their first names were Tony and Graham. I was laughing non-stop the whole night, probably helped a bit by being a little bit drunk, but everybody was laughing.
    We're going to Ralphie May in May. He came in second on Last Comic Standing, but I'd never heard of him before my sister suggest we go to his show. It's going to be taped for an HBO special. Kind of cool huh? We'll be sitting in the mezzanine.

I'm going to Sea World this Saturday with most of my family: sister, neices, brother-in-law, brother, husband, and maybe my dad will come. My sister won four tickets by being the 15th caller to a radio station. I've never been to Sea World. I'm sure I'll be fascinated with the animals, but also sad that they can't live in the wild.

I's gots to go. Need to buy groceries, go to the library, vacuum, and clean out the litter boxes. See? There's always something to do. How did I get this stuff done when I was working? Oh, I remember, I had little free time left to do what I enjoyed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2008 edited

I've been working a lot lately. I've managed to see quite a few movies recently, though not any in a theatre. I saw I Am Legend recently, which I thought was good, but the ending was kinda "oh, that's all?" Similarly, I saw No Country for Old Men recently as well, and thought it was great until the end, when things seemed like they were taking a turn in another direction and then abruptly stopped. The ending didn't make me hate it as some people do but it definitely took some zing out of it. On the other hand, I am a fan of ambiguity and the occasional tossing of the idea that everything needs to be tied up when the credits roll, so I admire the Coen brothers for going that route.

What else have I watched lately? They're showing 300 a lot on one of the movie channels. It doesn't stand up to a second viewing very well. The parts that I dug I still do but the parts I was "eh" about the first time around were totally awful on a second look. I also watched The Thin Blue Line (interesting and informative but not the innovative thing it had been hyped up to me as), The King of Kong (pretty good), and Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theatres (not as funny as some episodes of the show but still very much worth watching if you're a fan - and probably not at all if you're not).

A while ago I watched a pair of Russian vampire films (part of a trilogy, I think) called Nightwatch and Daywatch. Both of them are pretty well shot, although with both at first I felt the camera work was newish-horror-movie gimmicky then later began really enjoying it. Both also have really anticlimactic endings. The first was kinda sorta ruined for me by it, although I still really like the second (even though it actually has the shittier ending). I think overall the second is a stronger film, so it survives a subpar ending better.

My birthday is Wednesday and my friends and family keep asking me what I want and I have like no idea. Unless they want to buy me a car. I'm cool with that. I'm sure they're not though, what with cars costing large sums of money and all. Whatever. I'm going to Coachella again this year. I'm not too excited about the first day's lineup but Aphex Twin is going to be there and I feel like that alone might worth the price of admission. Overall I think this year has a kinda weak line-up, but I still want to go, so it can't be that weak. :) Plus PORTISHEAD ARE ALIVE! Awesome. Who knew! A friend of mine played some Modeselektor for me, who will be there, and I'm now crazy excited for them. They're, uh, like big beat obnoxious throbbing techno meets French rap, which probably makes them sound awful, but they're awesome. The same friend gave me mp3s that are apparently Portishead's new album but I have yet to listen to more than a minute of the first track due to SWARMS OF BEES!!!! Or not really having time. One of those. I saw Saul Williams live not too long ago and he was unbelievably good.

I ain't got no more bullets in my talky gun.