Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008

As I left work tonight, I saw the moon hanging low in the sky. It was a crescent moon, but the bottom, rather than the side, if that makes any sense. It also looked huge, because it was hanging so low in the sky. There's some kind of optics thing that makes the moon look bigger near the horizon...atmospheric refraction, points of reference, I forget. Anyway, I've been trying to take more pictures lately, and I've been wanting to try out a night shot, to see if I can make it look passable. I thought to myself, I'll try and take a picture of that when I get home.

This anecdote does not end with a pretty picture of the moon. It ends with me bleeding.

So, I drive home, run inside, attach iPod to self, open beer, and then remember that I wanted to try that picture. So I grab sandals and head back outside.

My house has a small porch on the front. You can walk down the steps in front, or hop off the drop on the side. I know this. I've lived here for a long time. Except, tonight, I walked the length of the porch, and in lieu of hopping, stepped out into air.

In the half second it took me to land, I had enough time to marvel that thanks to modern technology, even as I fall through the air like a jackass, I'm still listening to Pearl Jam. My wrist hit the ground, my knee hit the porch and drew blood (as promised at the beginning), and I ended up sprawled under a pine tree, still listening to Eddie singing "Black."

I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and limped to the backyard, where the beautiful moon was solidly obscured by trees.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2008

Hey, no pain, no gain! Hehehe. At least it wasn't serious (right?)

I hate it when I do something absent minded like that. Tonight I was working late (this tends to happen when I take a Friday off - making me wonder why bother taking a day off? But I digress...) and when I went to leave, I walked to the wrong parking lot. I also went to work early today, so I was able to park in the closer lot (that usually fills up early), but I normally park in the other lot. Gah. I felt so dumb. Luckily no one else was around... and I wasn't bleeding either:P

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008

Nothing serious, just a nasty cut. I've decided it's nature's reminder not to be a jackass.

I've done the same thing as you, tallman. And you can't just stop and turn to the other lot...you have to pretend you forgot something, or have some otherwise valid reason to abruptly turn in a completely different direction.