Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2008

Man, I should really post more often in here. It's gone cold:(

How's everyone doing? I'm doing well. I've got a bunch of vacation time coming up, which is nice. It actually started Friday. I drove up to Connecticut and Rhode Island to visit friends. We all went to a Villanova Basketball game. As you may or may not know, basketball is my least favorite sport. I hate it. But I can tolerate watching Villanova play. Incidentally, we won! Anyway, I got back today and I still have tomorrow off. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I have next Friday and the following Monday off too. I'm going up the Poconos, again with a bunch of friends. We're going to have our Fantasy Baseball draft. I have the 4th pick in the draft, and I'm not sure who to pick. I'm guessing the first three will consist of A Rod, Johann Santana, and uh, someone else. I'm kinda thinking I should take Chase Utley. 2nd base is a crappy position and there are very few good fantasy players there. If I can pick him up and he has a decent year, that should help. Or something. I have a trip to Vegas this summer, and a couple of other weekend trips (one to Atlantic City and one to Pittsburg) planned. It should be fun.

I need to set up appointments with the dentist and an optometrist. I've put both off for a while, and I'm pretty sure I have some cavities. Also, I'm afraid my glasses, which are a few years old at this point, will disintegrate or otherwise fall apart. Plus, I could use a new pair. I'm told I should get a more "rectangular" pair, as they're in fashion and it will look good against my face, which is pseudo rounded...

Other than that, not much is going on. Typical work, typical play. Watching a lot of movies, though not many in the theater. Actually, I watched a lot of TV on DVD recently.

Dexter is actually a really neat series. I'm kinda repulsed by the concept, but at the same time, I can't help myself. I like him. There's something interesting at work in the series. I don't know if this is a cultural thing or what, but there is a fascination with vigilantes in our society, and probably lots of others as well. After all, what are superheroes? Sure, they all started out as being pure and good, but ultimately, they're vigilantes. They may try to wrap things up and let the authorities handle the situation, but they're still vigilantes, and even though I don't read much in the way of comic books, I can tell that as comic books have progressed, we've seen more and more of an acknowledgement of that. With perhaps certain exceptions, our superheroes have become much more conflicted. Many tackle the vigilante aspect head on, and you look at something like Watchmen (or the Incredibles, if you want a lighter version) and you can see what I'm getting at. There's this desire to see wrongs being made right, and every day, we look at the news and see how our system is failing. Of course, it's always been failing, but it seems more visible now... and I think these vigilante stories are fascinating because they represent a certain desire to address these issues. Some would call these types of stories immature, but I don't think they're pure fantasy. I think the evolution of the stories, from do-good superheroes in the 1930s right up to the serial killer hero of Dexter, shows something different. But you know what? This would make for a good blog entry, and here I am spouting off about it on my forum. Oh well, consider this a dry run, and look for a longer post in the blog soon (said post will actually have my conclusion, which I'm leaving off here).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre

Yo yo yo! I was actually trying to post here earlier today from my laptop on a layover in Las Vegas (free wifi at McCarren) but my battery died. I just came back from visiting a friend in Denver for the past week, which was a lot of fun (and I think I needed a vacation more than I realised - use your vacation, tallman, you must vacate!). I finally saw both Clerks movies (as my friend loves them) while I was there and did enjoy them thoroughly. There was also lots of hockey. Lots and lots of hockey. And hockey. (This friend of mine is the one who got me into the sport.)

Before I left, I saw Be Kind Rewind, which is hilarious (and this is coming from someone who usually can't stand Jack Black). I give it three out of four thumbs. Er, yeah.

A lot of friends of mine rave about Dexter. Or, actually, maybe just a handful, but they rave about it a lot. I've seen it a few times. It's interesting but I never really got into it. Must not have enough cross-checking or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I am using my vacation! That's what I said! Yeah, so glad you enjoyed yours. You never saw Clerks? I think they're both pretty good.

I haven't paid any attention to hocky this year. The Flyers are apparently ok, though not great. It looks like they're teetering on the edge of the playoffs. Fleh.

I really enjoyed Dexter, though I have to admit that I found the endings of both seasons to be somewhat ridiculous. I think if you watch the series in order, it works well, because the first several episodes of each season are very good... It's on Netflix's watch online service, if you have access... that's how I watched it. Then I called my cable company and switched to Showtime so I could see the second season (which I assume is coming out on DVD this summer) on the Comcast ondemand thingy. Anyway, like I said, the thing that interested me the most is the concept, for reasons I belabored in my first post (and will expound upon in the blog at some point).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

I have a strict bedtime now. And wake-up time. The reason being one of many tactics to stop my insomnia. I have been sleeping much better in the past week, so perhaps it's working.

I guess it wasn't too smart of me to decide to stain a bookshelf myself instead of paying the furniture people to do it. 'Cause the rains start in March here in Texas. And I have only so much space on my patio. The damn thing is covered by a tarp half the time. I hope to finish it by the end of the week, but then I'll start on the TV stand.

I fed baby cottontail rabbits last week. Two of them still had their eyes closed, so they were easy. If they can't see you, then they don't try to get away. But the other four had their eyes open. They kept trying to jump away, thinking I was gonna eat them. And I totally wanted to because they are sooooo cute and soft! Nom nom nom. They are so funny when they drink milk from a syringe; they are reluctant to go along with the whole predator-feeding-the-prey thing, so they have the most pissed-off looks. Well, bunnies always look pissed off.

Of course I'm still feeding tons of baby squirrels every week. I love my little squirrelies.

The rescue center had a great-horned owl today, along with two other owls and a hawk. I love raptors. The great-horned is gorgeous. When I look at them I get the feeling they want to eat my face, but I don't hold that against them.

I'm volunteering at another non-profit that provides legal help for victims of domestic abuse. I really like the people there, and I've enjoyed my volunteer work so far.

I've been reading a lot, of course. I recently finished The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It was awesome. I loved the characters, plot, and writing. I cried several times, including during the parts with Clare's mother, Lucille, who reminds me of my mother.

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Farsala Triology by Hilari Bell. It's categorized in young-adult, but it's one of those highly mature young-adult things that could totally be put in the regular fiction section. I've enjoyed several works by Hilari Bell.

And I highly recommend the TV show Breaking Bad. I think the first season only has 7 episodes. I hope AMC decides to keep it around.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008

I've recently caught a few episodes of Dexter on CBS. It's intriguing and I didn't know it was online at Netflix. Now I know how I will be wasting most of my Sunday! My sister recommended it, but I'm still not allowed to order a bigger cable package. As soon as I can convince the significant other who never watches TV or get a big enough raise, I definitely want Showtime. More for the L word than anything else.

I haven't seen a movie in the theater since Golden Compass. And sadly, I've been mostly watching TV at home and am way behind on DVDs. I did recently watch Jesus Camp which was more frightening that I expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008

Supposedly the Dexter being aired on CBS is edited, but I haven't seen it there. Honestly, Showtime doesn't impress me much as a movie channel. They have decent movies, but not a lot of them. Starz was a lot better in that respect. I've never watched the L word though, nor have I watched the Tudors. Some day I'll get to them. For now, I'm just finishing up Battlestar Galactica season 3 (netflixed it in preparation for season 4, which I should be able to keep up with now that I have a DVR) and a friend at work lent me the first two seasons of The Wire on DVD.

I haven't seen much in the theater this year. Of course, this is a bad time of year for movies as not much good comes out. The last thing I saw was The Bank Job, which was surprisingly good. It's not the greatest thing ever, but a very solid film.

~tallman