Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007

OK, it's not really a blizzard...we're only supposed to get about 6 inches. I just hate snow so very much, I had to complain, and exaggerate, because that's generally how I react to stimuli.

Ummm, snow sucks. And even though I've in New England since birth and should be used to it by now, I still hate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2007

It snowed last week for us, though only about 1 inch (if that). We're more into freezing rain right now, which is even more sarcastically wonderful than snow. It's been pretty much overcast and/or raining since a little before Thanksgiving. Bah.

So what else is new? I'm feeling particularly uninspired of late. Nothing much to say.

I need to finish my Christmas shopping this weekend (or, at least, put another significant dent in it). I need to get something for my secret santa at work too. I want to get something good, and I have a hundred ideas that are potentially lame, but that I know will be liked... Ah, who knows. G'night for now.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited

We got about 10 inches...and round 2 is coming tomorrow/Sunday...up to another foot. Yay.

I am almost done my Xmas shopping. I just put in my second large purchase from Amazon...now all that is left to do is to hit the package store (liquor store for those outside the tri-state Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachussetts area, which is all of you) and buy a bottle of Scotch for my brother, and another for a friend. I've come more and more to appreciate the idea that liquor makes a great gift, especially really good booze. I'm getting both of them Highland Park, which is a nice Island single malt.

Surprisingly, Xmas shopping was easy this year. Save for my planned packy excursion, it's all been done online, and it was pretty easy to think of stuff for people, unlike most years, where I have to struggle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007

It's been cold here, if you think 50 degrees is cold.
    We've had some rain. Lots of wind, which I hate. There was actually some freezing rain on Thanksgiving. It would be nice if the sun came out, even just to say Hi!

"Ummm, snow sucks. And even though I've in New England since birth and should be used to it by now, I still hate it."

Every year I complain about the long, hot summer, but then my electric bill is higher in the winter. I can withstand up to 83 degrees in the apartment, but I feel miserable when it's 68. And I don't like having to wear multiple layers to keep warm because I'm used to not being constricted by lots of clothing for 9 months out of the year. Half of my shirts are tank tops.

What kind of socks do I need to wear to keep my feet warm? They don't have to be toasty-warm, just not icy. My poor husband at 6'2" never gets enough blood to his feet in the winter to keep them warm.

The holidays can kiss my ass this year. I'm going to my husband's company holiday party for the food and alcohol. There will also be poker - playing for raffle tickets. My husband recently won $275 at poker. I need to learn the game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007

It's 50 degrees here right now, which I won't complain about since it's like 2 degrees some places. It's still been sunny and, actually, I'm really digging the dry cold even if it does destroy my lips. I'm curious about the sock thing too. My feet are too cold without shoes. Woe is me, I know. I need to finish my Christmas shopping. Especially since I still have to ship some of the gifts to out-of-town friends.

I think I enjoy taking unwise but fun risks too much to be a decent gambler. I did find that the last time I played Texas Hold'em I actually enjoyed it though, which is cool 'cause I used to hate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007

50 degrees! We haven't hit that in a month. We're pretty steadily in the 30s right now, and tonight the wind is insane. Also, it's been raining a lot. I like to keep it cold in my house. My thermostat is set around 60-65. I turn it down to 60 when I go to sleep. I love curling up in blankets. So comfy.

For socks to wear in cold weater, is that a trick question? Thicker is obviously better, right? Can you not find thick socks?

I haven't played poker in a while, but I do enjoy it a lot. I just don't have the concentration to put in a 12 hour session (or, uh, a 24 hour session, or whatever those crazy poker dudes do). I always lose interest and then get sloppy.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007

Yeah. I would stab a man right now if it would somehow make it be 50 degrees outside. Right now, there's about 12 inches of snow, compacted by sleet and rain down to a 4 inch soggy/frozen mess. The wind is blowing and it's about 25. 'Nuff said.

I own about 10 pairs of wool hiking socks, which I swear by in cold weather. I actually bought them for hiking, but once it gets cold enough, they're all I like to wear...they're very warm and they're very comfortable.

I'm terrible at poker. I have a bachelor's degree in math, I'm proficient in numbers and probability, and I'm fascinated by human psychology and emotion. Yet, I'm consistently bad at poker. It's a mystery to me. I much prefer games like rummy or pitch (aka setback). I also spent the better part of a semester in college playing nothing but spades.