Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2007

I was accepted to UT Austin's School of Information master's program. Go me.

I also handed in my resignation at work today. My last day will be November 30th. Woohoo!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2007

Congrats! Soon you'll be an INFORMATION MASTER and run the show, right? Right.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea

That's awesome!

So, what kind of information stuff will you be doing?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

I'm interested in the Conservation of Library and Archival Materials, but I've also been told by some librarians I know that I might like archives as well. Conservation of materials appeals to me because it involves science and hands-on work, not just sitting in front of a computer for 8 hours, which I have found that I hate. I think of it as a trade as well as academic study.

I'm going into this half-blind because my undergraduate degree is in geography. I've never taken a course in information science (nor could I if I had wanted to because it's a graduate program only). I'm interested in the field based on experiences I've had in libraries and working with materials at my current job. I may find that I hate information science after my first semester although I doubt it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Congratulations! Information is awesome. Best of luck, master!
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2007

Oh, that's great! I was thinking at first it would be like computer information management stuff. But you're going to be a librarian- sweet!

My boyfriend is one year into his Master's of Library Science program. He thought about specializing in archives/conservation stuff, but the chemistry you have to get into for some of it wasn't what he was into. I think he's focusing more on academic and reference stuff now. He has worked in a library for the past 4 years, but his program is really split down the middle between those with library experience and those without. University Libraries seem to rely heavily on student labor in some places, so you might try getting a student position in UT library to get a feel for it.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2007

Wow. That's funny, because I'm actually in the process of visiting several schools to check out their Information Science programs. I'm looking at archives, though. I know several people who are archivists, and having talked to them about what they do, it sounds pretty interesting (and more employable than philosophy, to boot). I didn't realize that there were so many people that I knew who were into Library and Information Science.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2007

"but the chemistry you have to get into for some of it wasn't what he was into."

Yeah, if I do conservation, then I'll have to take at least 3 chemistry classes. I may even have to take 4 according to some prerequisites I've read, but I'll talk to an adviser about that. Unfortunately, one of those classes I've already taken, but I got a D in it (because it was in the middle of my depression and crisis over what to do with my life years ago, plus really bad course instructions and immature classmates).

"you might try getting a student position in UT library to get a feel for it."

There seem to be lots of job opportunities for graduate students in library science. I plan on getting at least a part-time job or volunteer work in a position that I will enjoy and give me experience in archives or preservation. I've been volunteering at my public library about 1-2 hours a week for the past few months, which has given me plenty of experience with the more menial tasks of shelving and routing-in books.

Side note: This has also taught me that gardening, cars, knitting, self-help, and war are very popular non-fiction subjects with the local population. Also, I thought I wouldn't like having to interact with the public because past experience in food-service jobs showed me that I am definitely not a people-person. But, when people see you as a professional (they usually don't notice that my badge says volunteer), and they're not waiting for food, they are actually quite nice and treat you like a human being.

"I didn't realize that there were so many people that I knew who were into Library and Information Science."

I didn't consider it at all until a year ago. I remember reading about it in the course catalog as a freshman, but it was a graduate program only, so I put it out of my mind. Then a few years later I realized I really like organizing stuff, I love books, I love science and working with my hands, and how could I turn that into a career? Duh right?
    I've read some debate on the level of job growth in this field, but it is growing. I'm also really attracted to it because I see a greater variety of jobs and work environments. And, I think I would enjoy working with the type of people who choose library science -- smart, professional, passionate, etc.

It really is too bad that philosophy still isn't considered a worthwhile major. I took 4 philosophy classes, which were 3 more than I needed. I wish more people would take at least one philosophy class to strengthen their critical thinking skills. But yeah, not many philosophy-related jobs around.

I hope you find a program you like!