Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2007

So yeah, been real busy lately. Last weekend (er, two weekends ago), I went to a wedding. Actually, I was in the wedding as one of the groomsmen. This is a nice honor and all, but the couple decided to have an outdoor wedding. On what I'll just call the hottest day of the year. And again, I was a groomsmen, so that meant I was wearing a full (dark colored) suit for the entire cerimony. Did I mention that we were standing the whole time? Still, it was good times (and heck, the reception was air-conditioned, so there's no real complaints).

And as featured in the blog, I got my Wii last week. I'm already pretty good at Wii sports (the Wii Fitness Test pegged me at age 28, which is remarkably accurate) so I went out and bought Metroid Prime 3. It's definitely fun, though the controls take some getting used to and it's one of those games with a lot of puzzles that are sometimes a little difficult to figure out without clues. Those are minor quibbles though. My biggest complaint is the scarcity of save points, which makes it impossible to allocate time to play... The one good thing about it is that if you die, they don't start you all the way back at the save point - you usually just end up near where you were when you died, which is a good thing. No (console) game did this better than God of War, IMHO. Save points were frequent but not trivial. More thoughts on the Wii will probably be posted on the blog at some point.

Work has been ok for the past couple of weeks, but we're about to enter the "insanely-busy" phase of the big project I'm working on, so the next 2-3 weeks or so are going to be a bit rough. Well, we're basically testing everything now, so everything could theoretically go smoothly... but I'm doubting it (if for no other reason than if it goes well, I'll be pleasantly surprised and if it doesn't, I won't be pissed).

Ok, I've run out of "W" things, so I'll leave it at that for now. How's everyone else doing?

Roy, when are you going to post the next screenshot round?!

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

I'm glad you enjoyed the wedding despite the heat. I did not enjoy any of the weddings I have attended. My sister's was probably the best, and I was even her maid-of-honor. The funnest part was the day before the wedding when I came in early and we spent the whole day together getting stuff ready. It was mostly just my sister and me, and then later the other bridesmaids. My sister is fun to be with, and her stinky husband only brought down the party (they're separated now).

This month at work will be super-busy for me. We have 80 Community Map Actions effective by the 28th. CMAs are essentially totally new flood maps from FEMA. We digitize them for our company and customers. We usually only get a few every month. On top of that, five of us are cross-training in another side of our business. I finished my cross-training last week, but I'll have to bother the analysts with questions every once in a while. And of course we have our usual work.
    Combine all that with my decreasing job satisfaction and strong desire to leave for grad school....and well, I'll have to work extra hard to stay motivated.

We need to start a "screenshot" game of books. Take a picture of a page from a book, or maybe zoom in on a paragraph, and have people guess the title. I only suggest this because I've read a bazillion books and watched very few movies in relation to other people. But of course, there are many more books than movies so the pool of possibilities only makes the game harder.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea

Anyone want to have a contest to see who will attend the most weddings this year? I'm likely ahead.

The transcontinental wedding tour began with my cousin's wedding in Oklahoma in July. My mother's wedding was also in July, but in Philadelphia. On Friday, we leave for a wedding in Seattle, one of my boyfriend's high school friends. We just found out this weekend his best friend will be getting married in April in Atlanta. The ridiculous thing was the last wedding I went to was almost 5 years ago. Luckily, I have escaped official duties at all weddings thus far.

I'm really looking forward to going to Seattle. We will be visiting other family and friends in the area and coming back on Wednesday. I've never been before and with the extra time, it will feel more like a vacation than just a quick stopover for a wedding.

Our real vacation will be going to Hawaii in March. So, anyone else wanting to get married this year that is not within driving distance is out of luck. My vacation is already accounted for until after June of 2008.

I was supposed to get a Wii for my birthday, but my dad couldn't find one affordably at the time and now I've decided I need help with plane tickets more. I'm jealous.

I was actually completely and totally caught up at work as of last week. Now, I am playing catch up from the three day weekend and cannot take any overtime until I get back from Seattle. Unless my co-workers all keep taking overtime and clear a bunch of claims doing desk coverage when I am gone, I will be overcome once again when I come back. Likely, I will get caught up again just in time for Thanksgiving and so on and so forth. Nature of the job, but sometimes I think it would be nice to have a concrete deadline and know for certain that I will done with something by a specific date. But, I would have to volunteer for some kind of work group or committee for that and then have to sit in boring meetings.

I would probably be more participatory in a book screenshot or paste game. I think a good rule would be that the paragraph would have to have a character or location name in it.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2007

Spence, sounds like you're going to be having just as much fun as I am. We had to redesign every page on the site. Every page. We're talking in the thousands here. At least we got some contractors to help us out. Still, this testing phase is going to be tough.

Book screenshot game is a great idea. To be honest, though, the movie screenshot game hasn't fared all that well. We seem to be content with it ping-ponging between me, Roy, and Alex, but I'd love to see it spread out into blogs beyond my immediate friends:P So I doubt a bookish version would go much better. However, I'm still game. Why not. Maybe we'll just do it on the forum, and so all us members can play and post stuff. Heh.

I've only been to one wedding this year, so you've beaten me. Last year was the big wedding year for me. 4 weddings in 6 weeks. Brutal. Next year, I only have one (so far), but it's a "destination" wedding, in Vegas. Should be loads of fun.

"The transcontinental wedding tour..."

Maybe you didn't list all your weddings, but it doesn't seem like you transed any continents on your tour! *

~tallman

* I know that sounds snarky and mean, but I wanted to use "transed" as a verb. Heh.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea

Well, I have transed a large portion of the North American continent on the tour. Cross country sounds much too athletic for a tour where a majority of the time is spent sitting in cars, planes and in banquet halls. And the food is slightly better than what you would expect from something called an interstate tour.

If the Tulsa International Airport can only fly to domestic airports directly, I can go on a transcontinental wedding tour without setting foot off the continent.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

I'm back, I'm back!

I think I'm going to cross-post the next round, because No Cookies gets a fair bit of traffic, too. That might help the game branch out a bit. Sorry for the delay, but I was camping last week, and then I was moving over the weekend. Very busy and all that. I should have the next round up later today.

You've all got me beat on the wedding front, I think. I went to one wedding. It was an awesome wedding, though. It was fun and a little bit different and it was exactly the sort of wedding where, if you knew the couple, you were like "Oh, that's so them." Good times, good times.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Well Sov, we've got two options here. Transamerican, or perhaps interstate. I like transamerican, because you still get the chance to trans, and transing is fun.

Cross post away!

My favorite wedding moment was when my friend, the actual groom, walked into his reception wearing a Darth Vader mask. I knew the couple was good together, but that's when I knew they were absolutely, unequivocally destined to be together. I can't believe she let him do it, but again, that's why they're good together.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

It's up! Woo!