Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2007

I watched Suspiria last night. I can't say the story was that great, or the acting, or the writing, but it's definitely one of the most beautiful shot movies I've seen. I love the lighting, how vivid the colours are, the positioning of everything in frame, it rings out in almost every shot. It's gorgeous.

It's also shark week on the Discovery Channel! My roommate laughed at me for being excited about that but then he ended up watching hours of shark documentary footage when I started to yesterday. I am full of toothy wisdoms.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2007

I haven't heard of it...is it new? Director? Actors?

I used to really get excited about Shark Week when I was in middle school/high school. It was usually right before summer break ended and it was a great way to veg out before going back. I haven't made a point of watching for years though, they seem to premiere specials that will be repeated tons of times the rest of the year. I do want to eventually catch the new one about the shipwrecked sailors. I kind of wish I had DVR. but it's too expensive.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2007

It's an late 70s Italian horror film directed by Dario Argento. It's pretty weird, and is famous for the things Dyre mentioned (good and bad). The story is pretty simplistic (young girl goes to fancy European dance school that turns out to be haunted by a witch), and many of the set pieces are really just contrived excuses to show a horrific death sequence (I mean, really, how many dance schools do you know that contain rooms that are just srewn about with barbed wire?) Some great sequences though, especially the first one. It's probably only interesting for fans of the genre, and it's not something I particularly loved (though it is a gorgeous movie).

I haven't watched shark week since... high school? Over 10 years ago? Crap, I'm getting old:P

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2007

Yeah, that was my reaction to Suspiria as well. Really pretty, and pretty weird.

Like when the maggots are crawling through the floor. Weird.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2007

Ok, I added it to the Netflix. Is it just weird or are there disgusting parts too I need to be warned about? I have fairly a high threshold for gore in a supernatural horror context, but I'm looking to avoid any Audition-style gross outs if possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2007

Well, I have a pretty high tolerance for that kind of thing, but even then, I think you'll be fine. It's more weird than gory, and even the gore is, well, low budget (which I find makes gore much easier to tolerate).

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2007

Yeah, there's not much gore, just weirdness.