Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2007

I just approved a couple people for the forum, but I'm mildy suspicious that they'll turn out to be spammers, so be on the lookout:P

How's everyone doing? This board has grown awfully quiet. I'm certainly to blame here, as I've been pretty quiet myself.

I saw Transformers yesterday. In terms of things blowing up, it was decent, I guess. But really, I think it's a bad movie. The storyline was bad and they totally introduced conflicts and then later dismissed that they were a problem at all with little to no explanation. For instance, a fairly innocuous one was that Bumble Bee couldn't talk at the beginning of the movie. "His speech center is damaged" so he talks in terms of songs... but at the end of the movie, he just up and talks. Again, that's not an important one, but they had plot holes like this for major parts of the plot too. Annoying. Also, too many robot characters and it was difficult to tell them apart. And they killed off Jazz? He's the only one that died? My friend thinks it was racist:P

I've been consumed by the desire to create a top 100 movies list. The first 50 movies came pretty easily. I'm up to around 60 at this point. I've been avoiding putting foreign films on the list, but I think I might have to do so... the only problem there is that my foreign movie knowledge isn't all that comprehensive. There are tons of movies I want to watch before I really compile the list, so perhaps I should do a "Movies I need to see" or "Movies I'm embarrassed that I haven't seen" list first... And then there are some debates - should I include The Killer or Hard Boiled? Neither is perfect, but I want a John Woo/Chow Yun Fat movie on the list because They played a big part in my movie watching career. I'd say Hard Boiled, but it gets kinda silly at some points. Bah. Maybe it'll be a tie.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2007

I kept trying to think of fascinating things to share with everyone here but I couldn't come up with much.

I still haven't seen Transformers. My roommate has been having a robo-gasm about it so I should probably see it just so he doesn't keep stopping himself from talking about something he doesn't want to spoil for me. I saw Hostel Part II not too long ago. I thought the comedy in it was a lot more apparent than it was in the first one. Closer to Cabin Fever (also an Eli Roth film) than the first Hostel. For all the hokey horror movie cliches the first one threw out there, the torture scenes were still pretty brutal to watch, but I didn't get that from the second one. All the reviews I read of it said it was even more gruesome and I'll agree that some of the stuff that's presented is more gruesome in concept but not in its presentation here. Still, I enjoyed it.

I watched the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly the other night for the first time. Liked that too, although I think the soundtrack is going to be in my head for the rest of my life. I caught most of A Scanner Darkly last night too, which wasn't bad, definitely a lot of cool concepts there, but seemed like it should have been more overall. There were moments where the mood of it reminded me of Blade Runner, which makes sense since they're both based on Philip K. Dick works.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2007

For the past two weeks I have either been out of town or had house guests. I'm only in a brief reprieve currently as my mother's wedding is in Philadelphia.next weekend..and my boyfriend literally just informed me this instant that his parents are coming in tomorrow for dinner and to see our new place. It never ends! The Summer of Weddings and Guests.

I was expecting to see Transformers this past weekend in OK. I had it pegged for a good movie to see with my Dad. However, we were so busy playing tourist with my boyfriend who was in Tulsa for the first time and with wedding stuff for my cousin that we never got around to seeing a movie.

My grandfather's words to my father after meeting my boyfriend- "He seems like a decent fella for someone with holes in his ears."

My father's response- "At least they're in his ears."

And I currently am obsessed with World Series of Pop Culture. I want to be on that show next year!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2007

Hostel II was ok. Probably not as good as the first Hostel, which wasn't bad (but definitely not great). It's a clever or neat idea, but the execution could probably use some work. The first one was a lot creepier and had a darker tone. The tension for that film came from my assumption that no one would survive. When it turns out that someone does, I was pleasantly surprised and happy about it, so I have an overall positve view of that movie. Hostel II has a clever (and gruesome) ending, but is otherwise mostly a retread of the first movie. The best part about it was seeing more of the background of the hunting club, and even that was a little cliched. I mean, the one gung-ho guy turns out to not have the stomach for it while the meek, quiet one gets really nasty? Gee, I didn't see that coming. Still, it was entertaining enough. I don't get the revulsion most people have towards the hostel films (especially those who haven't seen them). The gore is actually somewhat restrained - it's the situation that's so creepy. The first movie made me squirm, and I'm not a squeemish person.

"I watched the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly the other night for the first time. Liked that too, although I think the soundtrack is going to be in my head for the rest of my life."

That's one of my favorite movies. I love the music. It totally carries some parts of the movie. How else can you get away with a 5 minute mexican standoff sequence where barely any movements are made?

A Scanner Darkly was thoroughly mediocre. Everytime I got bored with it, it threw a curveball. This is a good thing, but the down times were annoying. The ending was pretty interesting though.

Sov, are you in Philly this weekend? Doing anything exciting (aside from the wedding)?

I've only recently seen an episode of the World Series of Pop Culture. It's fun, though like all trivia games, I have a lot of trouble with some categories, while I can ace others:P

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2007

I will indeed be in Philly this weekend. Well, Phoenixville mostly. We leave on Friday and have some kind of big birthday/pre-wedding party for everyone with July birthdays but mainly my mom's fiancee's Grandma at someplace called the Creekhouse. Saturday I am in charge of flowers during the day and the wedding and reception are in the evening. We may go out after that, but I am not certain. I think the plan on Sunday is to check out the Terminal market with the Fam, swing by the Mutter if there's time and then just explore South Street for someplace to have a birthday dinner.

We haven't decided yet if we're going to rent a car. Jane, future stepgrandmother, might have an extra that can be loaned out and since my friends from Princeton are now officially invited to the wedding and will be driving up, I think we should be able to manage without renting a car...but it's one of those things that my Mom is nervously fixating on.

So, I suppose if you're in town and would like to, I wouldn't have any objections to you crashing my birthday party.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2007

Crashing your birthday party? Sounds interesting, though it also seems like it's more of a family function than just your birthday party... Wouldn't it be awkward if I came? I certainly have no objections to meeting you in person, but I don't want to impose, nor do I really do all that well such situations. I'm much better with smaller groups:)

Where is the creekhouse? It sounds oddly familiar, but I can't place it...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2007

By crashing my birthday I meant whatever we find to do on South Street on Sunday. My birthday is actually on Sunday. The Creekhouse thing is actually Grandma's birthday, but my name is being added to the birthday cake due to proximity.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2007

Oh, well that sounds much less awkward:) Don't mind me, I apparently can't read. Sounds like fun. Just let me know what you're up to and when... Feel free to email me at mciocco_at_gmail.com (where _at_ is @):)