Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2007

I can never tell if my comments are getting through. I just wrote a long response to your post about the track and field girl, and when I submitted, it didn't show up on the page. Is it just that you need to approve it before it goes up, or is it getting lost somehow? Anyway, here's my post in case it got lost:

---------------------------
    Well, let's play devil's advocate. I don't mean to belittle the issues, and there are very real problems at work here (more on that in a moment), but I don't see this as being all that much of a feminism thing.

First of all, the reason she has this attention is not _just_ because she's hot, as you suggest. It's because she's hot, and she's smart and athletic. It's the combination that's important. Hot track and field girls are common, but intelligent, record-breaking hot track and field girls are not. By all accounts, she's exceptional, and that's attractive. Is it wrong for people to be attracted to her? Yes, I know, it's not right that her picture is plastered all over the place (more on that in a bit), but seriously, that's what we do as humans. We find people attractive.

Secondly, as noted in the article, a lot of what's going on is locker room banter writ large. This is the only area where I think you're right to reference sexism, because locker room banter can be very sexist and demeaning. Will we ever get rid of that? I don't know. We're talking about young, horny boys who have one thing on their mind. It's biological. Are all boys like that? Of course not, but that doesn't mean that you're ever going to get rid of sentiments like that. Even if there was no such thing as the internet, these sentiments would be rampant, they just wouldn't be as public.

Thirdly, I think a lot of peoples' response to this article is detestable but understandable. Again, this girl seems to have it all: brains, talent, looks - she's a complete package. A lot of people could work twice as hard as her and not come close to what she's accomplished. People tend to be envious of the popular and successful, and they can be more than a little nasty about it. This, by the way, doesn't excuse anything, it just seems like this isn't limited to females. I don't know why, but it's easy for people to ignore the difficulties and pressures of popularity or celebrity. Every now and again, I'll see some TV tabloid or hear something on the radio about Britney or Linsey Lohan or Angelina Jolie and I can't stand it. Paparazzi are very creepy and it's amazing that we as a culture tolerate this sort of bullshit. Being famous ain't easy, and in a country with free speech, some people are going to become famous whether they like it or not. So yes, I can totally sympathize with the idea that she's become famous without wanting to be, and that it is creepy and disgusting.

Fourth, what this really boils down to is privacy and the internet. That to me is the largest problem here, and it's not limited to women at all. Remember that Star Wars kid? He made a video of himself playing with a broomstick, pretending he was Darth Maul. He was overweight and a little clumsy, and it was kinda funny. Some dickhead schoolmates stole the tape and posted it on the internet, where it was watched by literally hundreds of millions of people, downloaded, remixed and parodied (and this was before YouTube was even that popular). This was really funny stuff, but terribly embarrassing to the kid, who ended up dropping out of school and undergoing therapy and counseling.

Experiencing unwanted celebrity can be a big problem on the internet, but I don't see any way around it. We're living with a strange transparancy in the world these days, and there are issues with that that won't be easy to sort out. Even people who put stuff online voluntarily can sometimes become overwhelmed by the response.

I don't mean to read too much into your post, but sentences like your last one imply that this is some sort of strange issue limited only to women... but it's not. We're ALL public domain these days.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2007

Weird. I never saw that comment in moderation. I put it up there for you and responded. I don't actually run the site (it's technically not mine- it's my buddy's. I just post a lot more than he does. Heh).

That's annoying. =/
    • CommentAuthorguest
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2007

Hi Tallman,
    Krafty here, Sam's aforementioned buddy and proprietor 79soul. My apologies about the comments...they were not being intentionally deleted; due to obscene amounts of spam, I've been building a spam keyword blacklist, and something in your post must've triggered it...seeing this post caused me to revisit the blacklist, and I think I must've added some words out of agitation and exasperation without really thinking about the possible impact...words like "adult" and "Thanks!" which were contained in numerous spams, which, rethinking it now, could also easily be containted in a comment. My bad. Anyway, I've removed some of these more common words from the backlist, so if this happens again, please leave another comment letting us know, and I'll update the blacklist again.

thanks,
    krafty
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2007

No problemo krafty! I know the joys of dealing with spam comments well, and have had similar experiences myself :) In any case, I haven't had any problems recently, and thanks for following up!

~tallman