Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2007

Hi there! Where is everyone? Snowed in? Taken hostage? Holding hostage? Snowing? SNOW? How is everyone?

I'm peachy. In a couple hours, I'll be driving out to the desert for Coachella, which starts tomorrow. This is the first time I'm going the night before, which you'd think would mean I'd get a few hours more sleep before the festival starts, but I have a feeling I'll end up staying up late with the people I'm sharing the hotel with. Other than that I don't have much to report. I know I mentioned before I was going to Colorado for a few days. That was fun. My roommate's birthday was this past weekend and the resulting party was very fun. Other then that I've been busy but not with anything particularly worth sharing. Oh, I saw Hot Fuzz. It's funny but not as funny as Shaun of the Dead (same director, writers, actors). Still worth seeing though. What's everyone else been up to?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2007

Don't joke, it snowed last week. It's only raining right now. Have fun at Coachella. I just realized that I haven't been to a concert in a long time. The last one I went to was that lame Bruce Springsteen one where he sang all his "important" (i.e. non-fun) songs. And that was only because a friend had an extra ticket, I don't even like Springsteen that much. Bah.

I'm looking for a new cell phone. This is a most annoying experience. Why the hell can't they put together a decent phone? For crying out loud, it's been two years, and my options are still shitty. I don't get it. There are hundreds of great phones out there, but none are in the US. WTF. All I want is a candy bar style phone with decent sound quality, good battery life, and a decent camera. There's a Sony walkman phone that fits the bill, but it's Sony for crying loud. I hate Sony. There's also the Moto SLVR, but I think it's ugly and it doesn't get the greatest of reviews. I might have to bite the bullet and get the sony. Bah. Of course there are like 10 phones that I'd love to get, but none are available in the US yet.

Otherwise, things are going ok. Work has slowed down a little, so I'm not working 14 hour days like the last two weeks. I have a feeling that this won't stay like this for long though. Hopefully, things will be a little more manageable.

I've been reading a fair amount. This is good, as my consumption had slipped a bit for a while. I read Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, which was entertaining and clever, though perhaps not as insightful as it seems. I kinda like the idea of drawing meaning out of stupid pop culture, and that book is pretty good at that, but it's too clever for its own good. I also read The Last Colony, which was pretty good, though not as good as Old Man's War. That Scalzi guy is decent though, and the books are great page turners. I've been trying to read Charlie Stross's Accelerando since, oh, the summertime. I'm more than halfway through it, but I never really got into it. Which is strange, because it touches on a lot of subjects I'm really interested in. Oh well.

I want to see Hot Fuzz. It looks like fun. Maybe tomorrow.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2007

Have you read "Living to Die" tallman? I worked my way through parts of it- I like that I can sort of skim through and read it however I want, but, yeah... he's definitely a clever writer. There's a passage in LtD that's absolutely my favorite in any book I've read yet, though. It's after he's been biten by a rattlesnake, and has retreated to his hotel. The only channel he's getting is some kind of Christian network, and he's watching what is essentially a Christian themed After-School Special. It's... well... it's fucking fantastic. I won't ruin it for you. Trust me, it's funny. It's also got me saying "I'll be honest, I didn't see that coming" a lot, now.

The weather up here has been absolutely crazy the last few weeks. I think it was last month we went from 80 on a Wed, to two inches of snow on a Saturday. Crazy. It's actually sort of spring-weather today, sort of warmish, but also very wet. It's been raining for two days.

Things are pretty good other than that. Jaclyn came to visit the weekend before last, which was pretty awesome. I've been reading a bit, and working on getting ready for grad school. I met with one of my old philosophy profs, and it was nice. It's always kind of an ego boost when a prof you really respect goes on about how you "really belong in a good grad school."
    Yeah, she thinks I'm smart.
    Go me. =P

I've been trying to do some research on video gaming and ethics, but, surprisingly enough (or not), there's not really that much on the subject. Of course, it figures that once I show an interest in it, tons of other people have started writing about it too. Heh. I blame Shamus. ;P

I picked up six or seven foreign films from Big Lots for two bucks a pop. Good deal. I've watched three of them so far, and they've been well worth the two bucks. I can't recall the names right now, but I'll share when I remember.

I played through God of War II and loved it. I think I mentioned it before, but just so you know, tallman, the DiAS aspects have been seriously toned done. Checkpoints seemed to be a lot more frequent, and there weren't any levels as frustrating and ridiculous as Hades that I noticed. I would have liked a few more new enemy types, but, overall, it was all kinds of awesome. Two thumbs up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2007

Haven't read "Living to Die" but I may check it out at one point. Like I said, Klosterman is almost too clever for his own good. I can only take so much of it. I'll eventually get to it...

Good weekend with the new lady huh? I think I read something at 4k. Sounded... fun:P

Video Game ethics are interesting. You posted something recently that reminded me of some of Shamus' posts actually - he made some points that customizeable female characters are kinda lame. You're really not given much in the way of options, especially when it comes to clothing (generally pretty skimpy). Who else is writing about it (besides Shamus?)

Random foreign flicks for $2? Intriguing. Yes, let us know.

I'm still working on Oblivion actually, and I haven't been playing much (I blame work and their stupid long hours. Dammit.) I'll probably get to GoWII, hopefully when the price comes down...

I saw Hot Fuzz. It was quite entertaining, though not quite as good as Shaun of the Dead. Still, I liked all the references. Simon Peg had a lot of parody mannerisms (i.e. running like the T1000, yelling like Arnold in Predator, etc...) that were cracking me up. The revelation about 2/3 of the way through is just lame though. Obviously it's a comedy and not supposed to be totally serious, but it was still kinda stupid. The great thing about Shaun of the Dead was that it was a parody and a decent zombie movie at the same time. I don't know how they pulled that off, but they did. I guess it's a little unfair to expect that from Hot Fuzz, but still. Don't get me wrong though, I really liked it:)

~tallman