Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2007

Saw it this weekend. Not flawless but pretty damn good, I think. And Leonardo DiCaprio was actually pretty good (I've previously felt hatred, loathing, and stabbing urges for his acting abilities). Good acting all around for the most part. Except everyone's Boston accent seemed to disappear now and then. Apparently you have to pay attention when you watch this movie. I like that. The couple friends I was watching it with and I would start talking occasionally and then have to rewind to figure out why something was now happening because we missed a few lines of dialogue.

Also, I'd just like to say that Team America: World Police has either ruined or enhanced Matt Damon and Alec Baldwin's presence in a movie for me, depending on how you look at it. It being that for the first 30 minutes or so of the movie, every time Matt Damon entered a scene I couldn't help but want to (and often follow through on the urge to) blurt out "MATT DAMON!" in that retarded voice. And whenever Alec Baldwin entered a scene? The Kim Jong Il stereotype Asian accent: "I have Arec Bawdwin!" Or Alec Baldwin saying "you can't out-act me, boy."

Similarly, whenever I see Nick Stahl in something, I do a bad Schwarzenegger impersonation and scream "RISE OF THE MACHINES!" So my roommate doesn't watch Carnivale around me.

Anyway, I really liked the Departed. I liked that it stayed fast-paced without seeming too fast. There were a lot of times towards the end that things seemed a little slow but I think that's just because the scene...

SPOILERS!

...where Jack Nicholson dies sets itself up like it's the climax of the film, which it's not, but because it sets up that way, things felt a little off and slow to me afterwards because it was hard to shake the feeling that what happened after that wasn't an extended resolution. Might have had to do with that scene not really working as a climax too. I mean, since it's not the climax, it's not really anticlimactic, but because there's a feeling that it could be when it starts up, there was still this letdown for me.

One thing that did bother me though was that the only female character was pretty... passive, I guess is the word I'm looking for. Everyone else in the movie had their motivations and wants, whereas she seemed to be just there and convenient for certain portions of the plot. Her character seemed out of place and barely a character.

But overall, I did think it was really good, the ending didn't seem to "oh gotcha!" like some stuff with endings like that might. There's a balance with things like that. You can't make surprise endings too surprising, or they don't seem plausible. This one seemed plausible because there were things leading up to it that would allow you to see it, which means, yeah, some people could guess it, but to me that's better than something coming out of nowhere and not seeming to have any relevance to anything leading up to it. So yeah, me likey.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

A few points:
    • I concur with the "MATT DAMON" urge. I have it too. You are not alone. I've never done the "RISE OF THE MACHINES" one, but I think I'm going to start.
    • SPOILERS I like that the Departed has twists earlier in the movie, like when president bartlett falls to his death about halfway through the movie. The twists at the end were great too, but the early one is so disorienting, it's just great (it's in Infernal Affairs too, and even though I knew it was coming, I got chills watching the scene in the departed)
    • The only scene that really, really bothered me was the one where Jack Nicholson goes to the opera and everything is lit red and he tells his dates something horrific. I just wanted to scream "OK, I GET IT! HE'S THE DEVIL! LET'S MOVE ON!" Some people hate the last shot of the rat at the end of the movie, but it didn't really bother me (though I wouldn't say it's necessary).
    That is all for now. Perhaps more later.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

I also liked it muchly. I think it's probably not Scorcese's best movie, but it was very good. My favorite of his is still Bringing out the Dead...a movie I've found most people hate, for some reason. I loved it...I thought it was strange, but it really hit all the right notes for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2007

Bringing out the Dead is in my Netflix queue, though I'm not sure how far away it is... but I've always wanted to see it. It looked pretty good really, and I can't believe it's been like 7 years...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2007 edited

Oh, yeah, I thought the rat at the end was a bit much but it didn't ruin anything for me so it's alright. There was a point we paused the movie for something-or-other where Leonardo DiCaprio was talking intensely about something on his mobile and we happened to pause it so that his two front top teeth seemed a bit accentuated and his facial hair looked kinda ratty so every now and then when he came in we'd scream "GIMME THE CHEESE!" but we were pretty far along in the movie at that point so such outbursts were becoming infrequent.

I love Bringing Out the Dead. One of my favourites. People who hate it make me sad.
    Ok so I saw the first quarter the other night. Did you guys know this movie is based on the story of Whitey Bulger. I was like 5 when all of that was going. It's a facinating story. "Street Soldier" by Eddie MacKenzie (one of the guys associated with Bulger) came out in the past year or so. I couldn't put it down. It's one of those stories that changes the way you see the world around you. I may have mentioned it here before. I didn't realize the Departed was based on that until I started watching it. Then this morning on Sunday Morning they talked briefly about the connection in the piece they were doing on the 10 Most wanted. Interesting stuff. I have to finish it tonight to see if there is a connection to the book.
    Ok so I finished it. I don't really see the comparison, at least not from the reading, well maybe in the guy Costello but not much else. I loved the Markey Mark Ending. That guy is so hot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2007

Apparently the Departed is based on a Chinese film called Infernal Affairs, though I heard there's a major difference... um, I can't remember what at the moment, and with the entire Internet here at my fingertips I'm still too lazy to look it up (I think it's in this forum, actually). I dug the ending too. And Marky Mark played a great asshole.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2007

The Marky Mark character wasn't in Infernal Affairs (and so neither was the ending of Departed), and the Costello character wasn't so obviously the Devil either. Also, there wasn't a love triangle thing, but there were two women (one was a psychotherapist, like in Departed, I don't remember about the other one...) Details are a little fuzzy.

All in all, the changes made The Departed a different film, while still retaining the feel of the original. And imhbco The Departed is better from a technical standpoint.

~tallman