Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2007

Apparently, Trent has not only written, but recorded a new album, entitled "Year Zero," to come out later this year...what happened to it taking five or more years between albums?

I've heard two songs (and downloaded three), one of which I really like, and one of which is ok...much more electronic sounding than...well, most of his stuff...reminiscent of Pretty Hate Machine in that way, but not...

Fuck it, I suck at reviewing music. But I do have a link to the three tracks available thus far...feel free to whisper me for a link if you're interested, a la Tool last Spring...or you could email me, I think you all have my email...but the "whisper" feature gets used so little...unless you're all using it just to talk about me...*suspicious glare*

Anyway...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

lol = )

The whisper thing is peculiar to me too...I believe it's perhaps meant for larger sites, where the members don't necessarily have each other's email addresses? Or just to talk shit on each other...

At any rate, here's the link I have for the three tracks leaked thus far...download and enjoy!

http://symphonyofnoise.com/nails/yearzero/
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

Huh, it looks as though I posted that first response instead of whispering it back...oops. I need to go to bed.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

You people are crazy. Trent's new album isn't coming out until at least 2016.

Oh, and just so you know, I can see you whispering! Ha!

Yeah, and foucault? Awesome icon. Awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre

I'll have to follow that link when I get home. I've heard the two new songs on NIN's myspace page. I like "Survivalism" well enough, not too big on the other one ("My Violent Heart" I think?). I was listening to them on shitty laptop speakers though. Sounds very Pretty-Hate-Machine-but-not. I'm not saying I won't enjoy the new album but I was hoping for something less poppy, more like Broken or The Downward Spiral or the Fragile than PHM or With Teeth. It's not to say PHM and WT aren't good but in general they don't seem as layered and complex, musically.

NIN's actually touring again right now in Europe. Craziness.

/whisper weinerschnitzel the time has come to strike.. the condiments are ready
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Aww man, "Survivalism" sucks. Well, it's not horrible, it's just... a lot like With Teeth, which I never really got into (except for "all the love in the world", which is a great song). Maybe Trent should quit while he's ahead and just start making movie soundtracks or instrumental albums or something.

"Me, I'm not" sounds a lot better, but again, his singing is annoying me half the time.

"My Violent Heart" is probably best described as Pretty-Hate-Machine-but-not, and I'm again annoyed by the talk-sing style.

Gah. Who knows? I hated The Downward Spiral the first time I heard that too, and that's become one of my favorite albums of all time.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

I thought the same about "My Violent Heart." In fact, the talk-sing style made me think of "Down In It," which is where my "like PHM, but not" thought arose. "Me, I'm Not" is ok...but I actually liked "Survivalism." I didn't listen much to With Teeth, though, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

Oh...glad you like the icon! = )
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2007

Update: that link now has five tracks posted. I'm wondering if it's "official" or something, since anything not supported by the band probably would have been deleted by now.

The two latest are:

In This Twighlight, and
    The Beginning of the End.

I haven't listened to either one yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Score, I'll have to check them out. I kinda like the names, but of course, that doesn't matter:P
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Songs are ok. Have you seen all those lame political statement websites with the wiretapping and the nutty "america has declared war on america" statements? Ungh. I'm so over politics these days that this is pissing me off. Can't we just have plain angst? Come on, Trent.

On the bright side, I checked out meathead's site and yep, he's making fun of that pretty hardcore:

http://www.iamtryingtobelieveinanotherversionofthechurchofairbornewiretaps.com/

Awesome.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2007

I've stayed away from the political statements like they're the plague. I much prefer angsty Trent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre

Oh that is very nice. I'm a sucker for funny URLs with only a single funny thing to be found at them. eatabagofdicks.com is another good example.

I haven't listened to "The Beginning of the End" yet but I don't really like any of the other ones so... meh. And the concept album stuff is kinda lame. I remember reading in an interview with Trentie-poo from a while back that he tried writing some political stuff back in the Pretty Hate Machine days and decided not to go that route because he wasn't good at it. I'm not thinking that's changed. Bah! Why!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Indeed. I much prefer Neal Stephenson's attitudes towards art and politics:
    Politics

These I avoid for the simple reason that artists often make fools of themselves, and begin to produce bad art, when they decide to get political. A novelist needs to be able to see the world through the eyes of just about anyone, including people who have this or that set of views on religion, politics, etc. By espousing one strong political view a novelist loses the power to do this. Anyone who has convinced himself, based on reading my work, that I hold this or that political view, is probably wrong. What is much more likely is that, for a while, I managed to get inside the head of a fictional character who held that view.
    Right on, man.

I've been thinking about political art, and while I think it's played an important role in the past, I think it's influence is decreasing. The modern world is so saturated with politics and hyperbolic outrage that yet another movie or album that decries war or globalization or secularization or whatever is just, well, lame. You look at someone like Orwell and you can see why he wrote what he did and why he wrote how he wrote. If he were writing today, I guarantee it would seem gimmicky and lame.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

"You look at someone like Orwell and you can see why he wrote what he did and why he wrote how he wrote. If he were writing today, I guarantee it would seem gimmicky and lame."

That's an excellent point...I couldn't agree more. We've become so oversaturated with that kind of stuff, it's really losing it's value.