Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2007

Yeah, so, uh, it's snowing.

That actually looks better now than it did a few hours ago. This is not especially good. Remember when I said my boss was out of town, and that I'll be incredibly busy? Yeah, well unless this snow goes away (and it's not), my team will be very shorthanded tomorrow. Crap.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Tell me about it. We're expecting something like 7 or 8 inches.

I left work at 4:30. I stopped for gas, which took about ten minutes.
    I pulled into my apartment at ten of eight.
    It's a 47 mile trip.

I'll leave the rest of the math to you. *sigh*

Driving to work tomorrow should be... interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault

People are freaking out here, and it hasn't even started snowing yet.

Don't get me wrong, it will be bad tomorrow...but not so bad that we need to run to the store and stock up on provisions. It's not the apocolypse...if you run out of something, you can make due until the roads clear tomorrow night or Thursday morning...
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2007

Everyone else got off work today but me. Colleges were closed. It was a level 2 snow emergency. But, I still had to tough it out and go to work. And the TV news anchors even tried to trick me into thinking we had a delay until 10 a.m., but they didn't fool me. It seems they can't actually distinguish that there is a difference between a state office and a county office and that the two are not interchangeable.

This is the second week of sub-freezing temperatures for us. We got 3 inches of snow right at rush hour last Tuesday that sounded about like what Sam had to go through. That even stopped the busses, effectively, and I had to get my boyfriend to pick me up from work. Yesterday we got about 5- 6 inches of snow, topped off with sleet, and then covered in another layer of snow on top of that. The roads really aren't too bad right now. The snow is just majorly annoying at this point and I am going to be really upset if my flight to NJ gets delayed on Friday.

And you would think I was back in OK for all of the incompetent snow plow drivers we have out and about. My boyfriend can't get his car out of his garage due to someone shoving a pile of snow on top of it and in more than one place around town I have had to navigate 4 foot snow drifts created by them in the middle of a sidewalk or near where pedestrians would enter a parking lot.

Tomorrow...back to zero and below temperatures. What fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2007

Almost everyone called out of work today. I left 10 minutes early...I made it pretty much on time. In fact, I walked in about 2 minutes late, and apologized for being late, and my boss laughed, and said, I don't care, thanks for actually showing up.

For all the freaking out people did here, you would think it was the apocolypse. I didn't think it was that bad...it's New England...it snows in the winter...and not that much compared to other places in the country.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2007

Well, we're pretty used to snow and cold up here in Cold-Ass Michigan, but this was a pretty big hit, especially for this time of year. The temp has been hovering in the low teens in my area, which is pretty cold for mid-February. It was 8 when I started my car this morning. Ugh.

They don't usually plow streets up here, either. We just salt the hell out of things, and let traffic take care of the rest. I wish I were joking.

We had a delayed opening at work, but, since it took two and a half hours to get there, it didn't help me.

The worst part about crazy weather up here is that people feel like they're so used to it that they don't have to change how they drive. Even the expressway had several inches of snow on it in places, but people were still trying to drive like it was a clear summer day. I completely lost count of how many cars I saw off the road yesterday morning- probably close to 20. And yet, people were still doing over the posted limit.
    *shrug*