Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2007

It is negative 1 right now. It's not the coldest it has ever been. It's the coldest it has been in two years though. Wind Chill is going to be about -15 today. Most schools in the state are closed. Because of the freakish Clevelandites being practically in Canadia, I have no hope that the government will close all state offices and that's the only thing that will keep me from having to put on as many layers as the little brother in A Christmas Story and venture to work.

And no, there's no snow on the ground. The schools are actually closed because of the wind chill.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

I hear you. It was a couple below this morning. We're up to zero now, but the windchill here is about 19 to 20 below.
    I'll be damned if I'm stepping outside at all today.

Tomorow should be better, what with the high being 13 and all.

According to the 10 day, V-Day should be a blistering 32ยบ, though.
    Heat wave!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I blame global warming. Seriously, though, I've never heard of people closing schools and offices because of wind chill. I wish they did that when I was in school:P I have heard of schools closing because they thought it would snow (even though it didn't), or because it rained really hard for a long time (i.e. flooding), but both of those also seem a bit excesive.

Sam, no work today? Lucky! I'm sore as crap from Fat Bowl (you guys know about that, right?) and would love nothing more than to go home, take a nice warm bath, then fall asleep for another 10 hours or so. Heh.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

No work, indeed.
    I get every other Monday off, since I work a 9 hour day Tuesday through Friday.

I wonder what the weather was really like when I was a kid, because my memories of the weather are really different from what the weather is like these days. I remember winter sort of fondly, actually. I remember making big snow forts at school and sledding down the big hill. And I remember there being snow at Christmas most years.

Weird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

The only time I've heard of a city shutting down to purely cold temperatures was from a Russian/Yakutian professor I had. She said she had already walked to the bus stop in her town (in Siberia) before she learned that everyone was told to stay home because it was -50 F. She had real fur boots and outer clothing, so even though she said she was still extremely cold, her clothing probably prevented her from realizing how cold it was.

The high today in Austin will be 68 F. Which may explain why I heard a whole flock of birds outside my window yesterday morning. I never saw them because I was too lazy to get out of bed, but I heard lots of birds. I mean, they must either be returning early from their summer retreat or getting a very late start.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2007 edited

Ok, so it actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be going out into the cold today. Unless you count the minor annoyance of eyelash frost as bad as frostbite, which was my worst case scenario for today.

The eyelash frost was a byproduct of the layering effect I had to use to keep warm. Using my hood and a scarf, I created a burqa-like opening over my eyes that was the only opening cold air could get into. By breathing into the scarf, I prevent myself from having asthmatic bronchospasms from the cold and expiring halfway to the bus stop. The byproduct of this is condensation which turned into a thin layer of frost on my eyelashes and outside of my scarf, which I did not notice at first. It became apparent as soon as I was on the bus, when it all melted and I had a wet scarf and looked as if I had been bawling. My boss even asked me if I had been crying when I got into work.

Tommorrow, temperatures will be in the postives and wind chills still in the negative. Luckily, I am going to the doctor and cold exposure should be limited somewhat.