Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2007

Okay, so, I came to the conclusion that I'm not really doing a very good job meeting single women by hanging out in my apartment and watching movies, or going over to my friend's house and... watching movies. Strangely enough, not that many single women just show up at my door, asking to borrow a cup of sugar and some making of outs.

So, at several of my friend's suggestions, I decided I'd give the online dating a whirl. I'm relatively computer savy, and I figure "I bet cute geeky girls like to do the online dating thing" right?

Anyway, I made myself a profile, and I started looking around. There seemed to be a pretty normal mixture of people. Some really cute, some not so cute. Some really interesting, some not so much.

Anyway, I've had the profile up for about a week, and I finally send out a message to someone, just saying "hello" and asking a few questions. You know, trying to strike up a conversation. I go to work, and then come home.
    When I get home, I've got five messages waiting for me.
    One from the girl I messaged.
    One from a girl who lives several hundred miles away who just wanted to tell me that she liked my profile (She was a. Too young. b. Too far away. c. Not my type).
    One from a really cute girl in my area who's a big video game/comic fan, and who looks to have the sort of sense of humor that would fit in well with my friends, but who's on the young end of my dating spectrum.
    One from a very cute, very intelligent woman who lives too far away.
    And....

One from a 48 year-old pagan grandmother who is into "historical re-enactment" (read: Live Action Role Playing).
    Her message to me?

"Subject: whisper

Body: Shhhhhhh* Greetings,

Just stopped in to say....

YOUR DAMN Cute!!!

Sultry "

Good to know I can still pull in people almost twice my age. *sigh*
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2007

Strangely enough, not that many single women just show up at my door, asking to borrow a cup of sugar and some making of outs.

Me neither. What's up with that?

heheh.

I've been in pretty much the same boat for a while, and have thought about the whole online dating thing. I bet it would be interesting, but I haven't been motivated enought to really pursue it. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to that stuff anyway...

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2007

You guys are doing something wrong. The single women that show up to my door for sugar and making of outs are of great quantity, so much so that some days, next to the "NO SOLICITORS OR SHOTGUN" sign, I put a "PLEASE COME BACK LATER LADIES I MUST REPLENISH MY PURITY OF ESSENCE" sign written in a pleasant font created by a real live professional calligrapher. Do you guys put your trash on the doorstep? Do you allow squirrels free reign of the swing set?
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2007

Damnit. I knew I shouldn't have taken apart the swing set. That must be the problem.

tallman, I know what you mean. Clueless definitely describes me.

It took me a week just to send my first message, in part, because I couldn't decide what to say. I mean, "Hi" doesn't seem like quite enough, but I don't want to send something so long that they thing "Wow, what the hell is wrong with this guy?" And, really, once you start talking to someone, when are you supposed to "ask her out?"
    I don't know exactly why I scare-quoted that... it seemed like it needed it.

Anyway, maybe it can be a topic of future blogging for you? Tallman's Online Dating Experiences. Sounds kind of hot, actually. ;)

There have been developments, by the way.

So, I actually didn't respond to the LARPer. I figured I would just accept the compliment, in case I ever want to flirt with a 50 year-old LARPing grandmother, I know I'm in.

I responded to Comic Girl, Fashionista, and Feminist (the woman who lives really far away, but is attractive and intelligent).

Comic Girl and I messaged about movies and video games for the most part. It turns out that we have really similar taste in movies and comics, and her sense of humor seems to fit in really well with the group of people I hang out with. We're sarcastic, snarky, and slightly mean-spirited with each other.
    Example: While driving to our friend Carrie's house with Brent, I took the wrong exit. Brent waited until I was already on the exit to point this out- "Um. Wrong exit, ass. I thought you knew where you were going?"
    Me: "Why the hell did you wait until I was already halfway down the fucking exit to point this out, Brent... if that's your real name."
    Brent: "Because, I thought you knew how to drive."
    Me: "I swear to god, Brent. I'll punch you in the throat. See if I don't."

It's like we think that vaguely ridiculous, blantantly violent threats are a sign of affection.

Anyway.
    The Fashionista sent me a second message, telling me more about what she does (since I was curious how she ended up doing fashion in Ann Arbor) and asking me a little bit more about what I do, and gave me her e-mail.

The Feminist told me about some of the non-profits she's involved in (with links!) and about Ella Minnow Pea (a book that I noticed was on her list, which I purchased last year, but haven't actually read yet), and asked me about A Void (another book I purchased, but which I'm most of the way through, and which is all kinds of interesting), and also gave me her e-mail. I checked out some of the sites she listed, and it turns out that she's all kinds of active in the feminist community, which I think is pretty fucking cool. She's also a published poet and essayist, and helped start the Center for New Words in Boston. So, she's all kinds of talanted and interesting.
    Also, you know... hundreds of miles away.

While I was e-mailing her, Comic Girl sent me a message thing- the site has an instant message function.
    So, we started chatting about random things- movies she hasn't seen yet, what she does (she actually drives a bus in town. Which I thought was weird- I don't think I've ever seen a 24 year-old bus driver), etc. We ended up chatting for the better part of an hour and a half, which is a pretty long time. We definitely have similar senses of humor, and even if we don't end up dating, I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up in my circle of friends, which is pretty cool. Oh, she's also, as it turns out, an artist. Which is all kinds of cool.

So, I'm pretty sure that the next time I send her a message, I'm supposed to see if she wants to hang out. Right?
    I have no idea.
    *shrug*
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2007 edited

Out of curiosity, what site are you using? Sounds like you're doing pretty well. Best of luck. I don't know if that's the sort of thing I'd blog about, but I'd definitely post here. Or not. You never know who might be reading:P

It's funny, I just read about how the Reelviews dude met his wife. It's amazing (january 26 entry):
    http://reelviews.net/reelthoughts.html

I guess that's the net equivalent to asking for sugar and making of outs.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2007

I'm using OkCupid right now- it's got the benefit of being free. I already feel slightly lame for resorting to the magical ether of the interwebs to meet women (I'm not sure why- I wonder if, "back in the day," people felt awkward about using, say, the phone to connect with people? I suspect not), so the fact that it's free helps soften the blow. So far, I like it a lot more than, say, going to the bar and trying to chat up some random person. At least this way I know a little bit about the person going in, and have a frame to build on. If I see that a girl likes a certain book, I can ask about it, and it's giving us something to work from instead of just "So, you're drinking beer, eh? That's hot."

I say go for it, man. You're a good looking netizen- you deserve sugar and making of outs. =P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2007

The whole exchange you quoted with your friend made me laugh, Sam. It's really nice to have people you can verbally abuse as a sign of affection = ).

Best of luck with the online dating...I toyed with the idea a few years ago, but I couldn't quite find ways to describe myself for a profile or whatever that I didn't think sounded stupid...and then laziness took over.
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2007

Man, you should come hang out with us- we have conversations like that all the damn time. If someone recorded our conversations and played them back out of context, you'd think that we were the most violent, abusive people on the planet.

Thanks for the well-wishing.

I actually met Comic-Book Chick today. I sent her a message on Friday? Friday, I think, saying, basically, "So, it occurs to me that, while we were talking last night, I should have asked you what you were doing this weekend. So, what are you doing this weekend?"

She said she was pretty free, and that maybe we should hang out, and included her phone number. So, I gave her a call on Saturday, but she was out with some friends. She said she was kind of busy, but maybe we could do something on Sunday.

Anyway, she gave me a call this morning, and we decided that it would be cool to meet up, and we decided that it should be in a public place, in case one of us turned out to be a date rapist or a baby eater or something, so we met at Borders. So, we met up, and we walked around the store talking about movies and books and comic books, and generally getting along smashingly. Then we decided to go get some food, and we headed to Chilis, because it was the closest. What a terrible restaurant. Everything was too expensive for what you actually got, and nothing was very good. Blah.

So, we hung out there for a little while, and then we decided to watch a movie, having decided that we felt comfortable enough with each other to engage in movie watching. Plus, like I said, things were going well- she's funny, and I think we clicked.

So, we came back to my place, and we sat there talking for probably an hour or two, and then we played some video games, and then we watched Battle Royale.

I recognize, in retrospect, that maybe this doesn't sound like the best first date ever- I kicked her ass at Mario Kart, and then we watched a movie about kids killing each other. But, actually, it was pretty fucking cool. There was definitely some feeling each other out and some flirting.
    All in all, I think it went really well. I dropped her back off at her car nine hours after we started hanging out, and it was made very clear that we would have to get together again soon. I would not be surprised if, next time, there was making of outs.
    ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre

Any first date that involves watching Battle Royale and still shows the promise of repeated contact actually does sound like the best first date ever. That everything else went well is but icing on the cake.

I'm not sure what I mean by that, 'cause if you ask me, the icing is the best part of any cake.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Icing is the only good part about cake.

Unless it's carrot cake. Carrot cake is pretty fucking tasty. As long as it isn't ruined by raisins. Fucking raisins.

So, yeah, I got a "I had a great time, how would you feel about going out to movie in a theater this week?" e-mail. Let the First Real Date begin!
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Funny, I just saw Battle Royale last week. Not what I'd expect as date movie material, but considering that things apparently went well, I'd take it as a pretty darn good sign:P Also I wouldn't expect video game playing on a first date either. But that you were able to pack all that in and still have a favorable experience, well, that's pretty surprising, actually. It sounds like a great first date, albeit not a traditional one...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2007

Yeah, it was definitely not a typical date. Then again, I figure that I'm a big enough geek that maybe typical dates aren't what I should be aiming for?

I suppose I should have mentioned: it wasn't really a matter of "packing it all in." We hung out for about 9 hours. Which is, you know... a long time. That was one hell of a pseudo-date.

Last night we went to a local brewery for one of her co-worker's birthdays. It was a good time, and it let me see what she's like around her friends and co-workers, which I always find interesting.

And, I'd be lying if I said that my prediction was wrong. =D

Woohoo. Or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2007 edited

Sounds like a good aim, or non-aim... whatever. Yeah, your second sentence. Go it.

Awesome grammar me.

Heheh, congratulations on the outs that have been made.