Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007

Okay. So, I watched Slave of the Cannibal God last week, and I was going to blog about it. It's a stupid, stupid movie, and I was going to sort of jazz it up and tell the story in an amusing way that criticized the idiotic nature of the movie, while being entertaining to read. I was prompted to do so after I described the movie to a friend of mine, and she was highly amused by my description.
    I like telling stories, and bad movies are really good things to describe to people, because you can interject all kinds of a little asides, which is how I tell stories, anyway.

The problem being that, by the time I finished typing up my description of the movie, it was seriously about 11 pages long.
    That strikes me as, say, too long for a blog entry.

I'll have to cut it down and maybe break it up into two parts. I don't know.
    Or, scrap the idea completely.

Does this ever happen to you, tallman?
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Hell yeah. I say post the whole thing. I usually only split up posts when I don't feel like finishing the first one, or if I feel like I'm trying to squeeze in too many disparate concepts. It really depends on how well you can separate the parts. Some things split up easier than others. I don't imagine that a movie review would break up into parts all that well.

It'll also make it easier for people to find/read it in the future. If you break up the review into a bunch of different pieces, it will probably be fine when you first post it to your main page... but once it falls off and into the archives, it'll be harder to follow. Someone may come across the review from a search engine and come in on the second part of the review, become really confused or annoyed, and just leave.

But then, I'm apparently somewhat strange when it comes to blogs. I like really long, in-depth essays. As long as it's well written and compelling material, you shouldn't have a problem. I say take a day, think about it, read it again, edit it a little, and see if you can get it down to 10 pages:P

Also, when you say 11 pages, do you mean, 11 screens on your site? Since your site has a relatively narrow area for the text, it will look a lot longer than it really is (while mine has a wide area for text, so it sometimes looks shorter than it is)...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Sadly, no. I mean 11 pages in Word.

That's a good idea, though. And, really, my readership is... uh... small. I'll probably trim it up a bit tonight, and maybe post it tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Is it 11 pages of heavy-duty paragraphs, or is it broken up a little, perhaps with a dialogue exchange or something? At this point, I'm intrigued to see what the hell this thing is about:P

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007 edited

If it's thoroughly entertaining throughout, I say post it.

I've been reading through this Ruby tutorial and the guy goes on and on and on about aliens and a mad scientist that blows up a retirement home and kills his niece trying to treat her polio with electro-shock therapy and then once in a while says something about Ruby (and sometimes he'll tie the previous five paragraphs of randomness into the lesson really well, too) and it's seriously the best tutorial I've ever read.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

That book is funny. I've only read a little bit, but it looks like a doozy:P
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2007

Heh.

Okay, you convinced me. It's up, in all of its wordy glory.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Awesome. It's not as long as I was expecting, if you can believe it. It is a little long when considering the subject matter, and some of the acronyms get confusing (BDG, BSG, etc...) though I greatly appreciated the hallowed tradition of calling characters by their function rather than their character name. This is a must when talking about bad movies. Also, if there's someone famous in the movie, it's great to call them by their real name as opposed to their character's name. Like this: "So Sheriff Affleck goes to this town, and everyone's gone except this chick and her younger, hotter sister, Rose McGowan."

Also, out of curiosity, do you just write in Word, then paste into wordpress? It seems like some of the paragraphs are smushed together or too far apart, though the grand majority of them look fine. Don't mind me, I'm a dork.

This will be evidenced even further by tonight's blog entry, which I have yet to write. I guess I should do that now.

~tallman

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo!
    • CommentAuthorSamael

I originally wrote it in wordpress, but then I pasted it into word so that I could see more of it at one time. Then I pasted it back into wordpress. Then I couldn't decide if I wanted the paragraphs all smooshed together, or if I wanted them seperated by a blank line.
    Then wordpress decided that half of the post was solid italics, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it for about a half an hour, until I noticed that wordpress has an italics button. Oops.

The BDG and BSG was intentionally confusing, but I didn't make that clear- sorry. The Bearded Scienctist Guy and Bearded Doctor Guy were practically the same character, and they looked almost exactly the same.