Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2007

Hey, that rhymes. Anyway, I bought HL2 this past weekend, and you guys are right. It's sweet (totally and fucking). I'm a little more than halfway through, and it's eaten into my free time more than I care to admit:P

I'm kinda stuck at this point where I have to set up a few gun turrets and fend off a butload of soldiers. By kinda stuck, I mean I tried to do it a couple of times, then gave up and came here to write this entry. I tried spreading out the turrets, but that definitely won't work. Then I tried blocking off one hallway, which seems to be better, though I'm still having trouble. They keep knocking down the turrets and I have trouble putting them back up without getting shot to hell by the soldiers. Fuckers. I might try positioning myself in a corner with the three turrets around me. The only problem there is grenades. I might be able to catch them with the gravity gun, but that's still kinda risky. I'll probably just have to stick with blocking off the one corridor...

So yeah, cool game, and I got the "holiday" edition which was moderately more expensive, but comes with HL2: Episode One and Counter Strike Source (and the first HL, but I already have that).

Steam isn't the worst thing ever, but it is kinda annoying. Every time I exit a game it's making announcements that I could care less about. Jeeze, no, I don't care about your crappy new game! I also hate when I try to close a program and it just minimizes into the system tray. Dammit, I don't want your stupid ass DRM taking up system resources. That's why I clicked on the close button. Ok, I think that's enough bitching about Steam. The game is good, so I can put up with it.

I also bought Oblivion, but I haven't installed it yet. I'll get to it when I'm finished with HL2.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that part.

I think that there's an area where you can actually hide in a closet and have two of them the only two ways in, but I can't remember for sure. That part was pretty hard, as I recall. The trick, as I remember, was definitely to blockade yourself, not spreading the turrets out, so much as using them to cover the only two ways in. I think you can also hold onto one of the turrets, and it'll fire at enemies, so if you find a relatively safe place, you can just hold onto one of the turrets and keep turning it as necessary.

I might be making that up, though. I don't remember.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007 edited

Yes! I'm glad you like.

I think I know what part you're talking about. Sam's right about being able to hold a turret while it fires although that's not how I passed that part. If it's the part I'm thinking of, it was actually one of the harder moments in the game for me. There's, like, a weapon locker kinda thing you can retreat into, and setup the turrets just outside of it (so when they fall you don't have to move out into the open much to fix them). Grenades are still a problem and basically I would just run out and take my chances when a grenade was thrown in the vicinity, then run back, set the turrets back up, and get back in the hole. Eventually it would get too intense to keep setting the turrets up and I'd have to get out and take my chances, keep moving, make sure no one came up behind me, but the trick was not to get to that point too early because it's a pretty long fight sequence and if you're out in the open too long, you will get taken down. Oh and the shotgun is essential.

You'll have to tell us how Episode One is. Steam never bothered me too much but yeah, there's some things about it that could be better.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Ah! Yeah, that's it- you have to hide in the locker area.

See, I think I set one turret up facing each direction, right near the doors, and held onto the other one, sort of hiding inside the doorway. If either turret got knocked over, I'd set the one I was holding down by it, and pick the other one up.

I think.
    And the shotty is definitely essential.

Honestly, that might be the hardest fight sequence in the game, now that I'm thinking about it.

I'm intrigued by Ep1, too. My internet connection at home is spotty at best, so I haven't picked it up yet. If it's good, though, I may give it a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Yeah, there are lockers that you retreat into, but I always end up having to come out to pick up the stupid turrets. How do you pick them up, do you just use the "E" action button? I can never seem to pick up a fallen turret correctly.

I'll give it another go tonight. Those strategies sound ok:)

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Man, now I'm going to have to play through to there, because I can't really remember. I thought it was just E, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre

You can pick them up with E (or whatever else you may have defined as your action button - I use Enter because I never migrated to wasd) or the grav-gun. It can be tricky to put them down at the right angle (or even pick them up at the right angle). But the turrets are definitely integral to surviving. I've tried going at it without them and haven't made it through. You can secure yourself in a locker with the shotgun for a while too if you're really quick but it's a really long time to do that without turrets. There's a health station on the wall near the lockers, right? I remember getting killed trying to use it a few times but it's possible.

I think I need to play now too.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I beat it. I started with DyRE's suggestion, but quickly migrated to Sam's when they kept getting knocked down. I can't believe I lived:P But I did, and now I'm in the next level.

On a side note, why would the hot young girl (Alex, I think) trust the old prude (don't remember her name). I mean, she totally betrayed the resistence, but then Alex is just like "Hey, old bitch. Program the coordinates in here where I can't see you betraying me."

Whatever, the game is still a lot of fun:P

~tallman