Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2007 edited

So, Friday was my birthday...wasn't too bad, actually. I took the day off work, and Kris took me out for sushi, then we hung out and watched about half of Season 9 of the Simpsons. We did the family thing today, which also wasn't bad, except for being early...it's my birthday celebration, why do I have to wake up early for it? But, alas, I apparently do not get input as far as the time goes. We all met up at a restaurant, and drank beer and ate...one of my brothers got kind of lit, which is amusing, because my mom thoroughly disapproves of drinking more than about 2 beers... and I spilled beer on my sister-in-law, which I felt bad about, but was still a little amusing. Now I've got the new Dean Koontz book (part of the Odd Thomas arc, which I really enjoy), some new music to check out, and some good beer to enjoy.

All in all, not too bad...pretty low key, which is all I'm really looking for. I'm officially 27, which means absolutely nothing to me, but it was a pretty okay couple of days, and I really needed that.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2007

Glad to hear it, and happy belated birthday!

So wait, you had to wake up early to go to your family's birthday celebration... but you went to a restaurant and had beer? For breakfast? Or are you working the late shift or something? Or was this a sort of early lunch type thing?

Is that Brother Odd? Is that the second one in the series? I read Odd Thomas a while back. It was decent and entertaining, though I still don't think it rivals his best stuff. Let me know how Brother Odd is, as I could use a easy-going book relatively soon.

In any case, happy birthday, keep on truckin, and all that.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007 edited

Heh...upon re-reading, it does look like I'm talking about drinking at breakfast. Well, my family is Irish, but it was a lunch party...I can't say I've never had liquor before 8 am, but I can say that was long time ago, and I lived at UConn then.

I do work at night, which is why it's a battle to be up and functioning before noon...the earliest I get out of work is 11 pm, so I get up at about 1 pm most days.

I did get "Brother Odd," which is actually the third in the series...the second one is called "Forever Odd," and it came out at about this time last year. I liked all three, but the first was the best, and the second one was only ok...it felt sort of rushed. This latest one was more substantial. This series might not be Koontz's best plotwise, but I think the characters he's created for this series are easily among his best. I think that Koontz's books have gotten much better in the last five years or so...I've always liked his stuff, but his latest have seemed a little bit better than his earlier stuff.

I also got beer from both my brothers...Guinness from my brother Jeff, and a fantastic Belgian Trappist Ale, Chimay Grande Reserve, from my brother Mike, which I'm enjoying right now. My family has gotten big on giving booze for gifts, which is awesome.

Belgian beer is simply amazing...I didn't much like it when I first tried it, but now I'm a convert.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007

Ah, happy belated birthday, fellow.

Booze is a good gift. Christmas 2005 a group of my friends, independently of each other, all gave me lots of booze, which was rather amusing. I still have a little bit of Bushmills left... 'cause that stuff hurts.

A friend of mine just got some of the Odd Thomas books for her birthday. They seemed interesting. I've not read any though.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2007

I'm a big fan of Belgian beer, though I'm a little ambivalent towards ones that have that sorta burnt taste (Chimay is one, and Hoegarten (sp?) is another - they're both good though, and I certainly wouldn't complain about either).

There's a brewery in cooperstown called Ommegang that makes awesome Belgian-style beers (and they don't have the burnt taste). I've tried 4 different varieties:

--Rare Vos: A lighter version, but still very good.
    --Hennepin: A heartier version of Rare Vos, and this is the first one I found. I was so blown away that I drank several of the 24 oz bottles (it's awesome, btw, that you can get 24 oz bottles of these things. They even have a cork!)
    --Ommegang: I think this is a double or quadrupel or something. It's much darker than the other two, but still has a similar feel.
    --Three Philosophers: Also very dark, this one has a hint of cherry in it, and it's just another all around good beer.

They're all very good beers, and I highly recommend them all (If you're a fan of dark beers, you might want to start with Ommegang or Three Philosophers, but I still like all of them).

There's a beer called Orval Ale (made by Trappist Monks!) that's also really good, very similar to Hennepin. Of course, all of these beers are exceedingly expensive. But it's worth it, I think. Plus, their alcohol content is like, 2-5 times that of regular beer, so you don't need to drink as much:P

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2007

I think I've tried a beer or two by Ommegang...I didn't know they were (sort of) local, though...that's cool.

One of my friends absolutely loves Belgain beer, hence my exposure to it. Some of my favorites that I can think of offhand are:

La Fin du Monde (pretty clovey, which I hated at first)
    Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale (my friends and I got a GIANT bottle of this on New Years...we opened it at midnight, and it was gone by 12:30)
    Chimay (I've had the red label stuff and the blue label stuff...both are good)
    Delerium Tremens (I forget who makes this stuff, but it's damn good)
    something called Tres Pistoles, not sure who makes it (again clovey)
    and I know I've had some stuff by Ommegang, and I might have tried Orval.

They are all expensive, but they're also some of the best beers I've ever had, and they pack a pretty nice punch at about 8 or 9%. We have a pretty good liquor store (package store if you live in the CT, MA, RI area) with a nice selection of Belgians...and there's a huge outlet like place about an hour or so from here if I feel like taking a field trip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2007

I'll have to try some of these. They sound interesting. My roommate works somewhere he gets a discount on this kinda stuff, maybe he can hook me up. He always comes home with these weird pale ales from Mesopotamia or wherever, stuff that tastes like pumpkins and leaves and anxiety, and I end up having to write "NOT FUCKING PALE ALE" on my grocery list.

That said, some of it's not bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2007

Heh, "pumpkins and leaves and anxiety" and "NOT FUCKING PALE ALE" made me laugh out loud. Thanks = )

Once, in a fit of curiosity, I boght something called "Post Road Pumpkin Ale," since it was around Halloween time, and it sounded conceivably good. It was in fact terrible both in concept and actual practice.
    • CommentAuthorSamael

I've had pumpkin ale before. I wish I could remember the kind, because it wasn't bad.

I'm probably a terrible beer drinker, though.

1. I don't like most of the cheap swill that my friends try to push on me. PBR is fucking nasty.
    2. I tend to like lighter beers, I think.

What do I drink... um... Blue Moon, Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Honey Brown, and Bass are my top picks. I'll drink Newcastle if it's on tap.

Chocolate Beer? Fucking gross.
    Ugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

I've had pumpkin ale that was pretty darn good.

Now that I think about it, I have a pretty varied taste in beer. I like the Belgians (of all varieties), I'm a fan of pale ales (Bass, Sierra Nevada, etc... and also not quite pale ales like Magic Hat, which is awesome), and lagers. I'll even have a guinness from time to time. And I like Corona a lot as well (good for when you need to drink a long time - I tend to get a nice buzz, but never too drunk, and it's a lighter style as well). The workhorse of my beer drinking, though, is Yuengling Lager. It's a regional beer (it might not have even made it's way up to foucault's area yet), but it's solid beer and very popular in the area (if you go to a bar in Philly and ask for a "lager" you'll get a Yuengling. There are no other lagers).

Jeeze, I'm getting thirsty.

~tallman
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2007

I've actually had Yuengling. tallman, you're correct that it hasn't made its way up here, but I have an uncle that lives in PA...somewhere down there. And he loves Yuengling...enough that I know it's the oldest continually operating brewery in North America...which he mentions every time we talk about Yuengling, which is everytime we talk about beer, which is pretty much every time we talk. He and I don't exactly have much in common.

I have pretty ecelectic taste in beer too...or more accurately, I like almost all beer. I prefer beer with actual taste, but in a pinch, I'll happily down some Busch lite. I have had beers I hated...like that awful pumpkin ale.

My favorites are the aforementioned Belgians, Guinness (of course...I am of Irish descent), a few English beers I've tried (Tetley's, Boddington's, Newcastle)...I also like some of the Magic Hat variants, and some of the Sam Adams variants, although I don't like regular Sam that much...and Sam Adams lite tastes terrible. I also like any red or amber beer I can find...Murphy's makes a good red beer.

People that refer to Killian's Irish Red as Irish beer make me cry on the inside...it's made by Coors. It's palatable, but it's certainly not Irish.

There's a bar about 30 minutes from where I live called the Main Street Cafe/Willimantic Brewing Company, in Willimantic, CT...where I went to college...I used to stop there after night classes = )...anyway, it's a brew pub/restaurant, and some of the stuff they brew is incredible. A lot of places like that just have one beer they make, but this place is something else...they have regular beers, seasonal beers, special cask ales, and all sorts of specialty "guest beers" on tap.

My friend and I are actually considering home brewing...it doesn't look super expensive if we split everything, and it would be a fun hobby to get into.
    • CommentAuthorSovawanea
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2007

Weirldly enough, we do not get Yeungling in Ohio. You would think we would be close enough to PA to get it. I think it is even pretty widely available in the Carolinas. But, not in Ohio. I'm not a huge fan, but my boyfriend really likes it.

I prefer darker beers and fruitier beers. My favorites include Guinness, Bell's Cherry Stout, Eliot Ness (I think that's a Great Lakes, but I forget), Dogfishhead Raisin D'Etre ( I may have mispelled the french part), and the extra dry variety of Woodchuck. And I have had a fairly decent chocolate stout once, but I do not recall the name or what brewery made it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2007

I feel I'm opposite from most people because I prefer pale ales, or at least lighter beers. The best beer I ever had was Grasshopper (wheat ale) in Alberta, Canada. My favorite local beer is the Live Oak pale ale, but it's only on tap. And the one beer I can get regularly in a bottle and love every time is actually a brown ale - Newcastle, which tastes lighter to me than most brown ales. Tilburg's Dutch Brown Ale is good too, but I can't drink much at a time.

I've also liked pilsners. I've had Northern Light a couple of times, and then there was a most fantastic pilsner I had at a holiday party, but I can't remember the name. I have a hard time remembering names of beers. They get jumbled in my head.

The pumpkin ale I had was gross, but I think that was mainly a factor of the non-pumpkin ingredients.
    Now let me welcome everybody to the wild, wild west. A state that’s untouchable like Eliot Ness. I like Eliot ness too. That stuff is great! Blue Moon with a nice slice of orange is great for concert night. There was a guy that I was dating one summer who loved Killian's and well I got sick of it right about the time I got sick of him.... which wasn't long, actually I think I just drank it when I was in his company to try and feel his vibe, I guess it didn't work . It's so-so. I pretty much stick to Eliot Ness or Blue Moon.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2007

Spence, have you ever tried any of the Magic Hat beers? Magic Hat number 9 is great, but every one I've had is good. They're basically pale-ale style, so maybe you'd like.

Yeungling's distribution is strange. I'm not sure they really want a really large distribution, but at the same time, I've been seeing it come up in strange places. When I went to Florida this past summer, the hotel bar had lager on tap. We were confused, but happy.

I've never cared much for really dark beers, but I've been coming around more lately.

Blue Moon is totally a girl beer. I've had it, because it's somewhat of a belgian style, but it's not my favorite:P

Also, welcome, Sov!

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2007

A girl beer?!

Thems fightin' words, tallman. Blue Moon is delicious (although, I should note, I'm generally opposed to putting slices of fruit in my beer).
    Deeeelicious.

God, I can't even start talking about all the locally brewed beers around here. There are too many to list off. Apparently, every other person who opens a bar around here brews their own beer.