Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2007

It's snowing where I am, how about you?

We have actual snow. Most of the precipitation is sleet, but there are some flurries mixed in which are quite large and take a long time to float to the ground.

I took these a few minutes ago. There was already accumulation!

On our Honda:

Ice on my Mazda:

Ice bouncing off the Mazda:

My footsteps

I've lived in Texas my whole life, so I know what the history of snow has been for the past 15 years or so (I don't have memories of snow before age 8). Snow has been very unusual in the low-lying areas of Central Texas, until the 00's. January 2002, snow in Austin. February 14, 2004, snow in Austin. Christmas 2005, snow in Houston. January 2007, snow in Austin. Crazy.

We were allowed to go home early from work yesterday. I would have stayed, but the air conditioning was on in the room I work! There was an A/C tech guy trying to get the heat working, but he needed some parts and in the meantime I guess he needed the A/C blowing...? I don't know, but I was so cold I was in pain. My job requires using the mouse a lot, but my hand was frozen. So I said "Screw this" and went home.

I didn't go to work today because the roads are iced over, and I doubt there was much other traffic out there to turn the ice to slush for me. I would have gone if I had more confidence in Texas drivers.

See, lots of people around here don't give a crap about other people when they're driving in dry, sunny weather, and those same people don't see the need in changing their speed in rain or icy conditions.

My dad's kind of like that. He would say, "Ah hell, a little ice won't hurt anything." Then of course the news stations show video of people sliding out of control because they're taking their turns too fast.

I have a big stack of books to read. And chocolate chip cookies. I was trying to lay off the cookies, but then my mother-in-law gave me three bags of chocolate chips. She had so many from holiday coupons.

I bought a workout video on DVD. It has pilates workouts. The purpose of pilates is to strengthen the core muscles - abs and back, which are the exact muscles I worked on in physical therapy in order to take pressure off my lower spine.

I did about 15 minutes of pilates from the video. That's all I could handle before I was out of breath, and I don't get out of breath easily. I have been so extremely sore all over my body for the past two days from those 15 minutes. Yeah, so I highly recommend pilates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2007

It snowed in LA one day when I was 5. I don't know about pre-Dyre era Los Angeles. We've been getting snow recently in nearby areas, places that are like an hour to an hour and a half away, but not in LA proper. It's been very cold for this area of the country though. Somewhere in LA it was like 19 degrees the other night. That's like legitimate cold (I know, I know, there's colder), not like "oh no it's 50 I'm from Los Angeles help!" cold.

I hit icey roads while it was raining pretty heavily outside of Denver on a road trip once and that's the only time I've driven on such surfaces. I was thinking "great, I just drove 17 hours and a thousand miles to slide into a big sign and die." I had no such problems but I was mildly freaked out so I only went 50 while the few other cars on the highway were still doing like 70.

I should work out more like I keep saying I should.

This past weekend I helped my friends' band shoot a music video. In addition to miscellaneous set duties like operating four DVD players, a VCR, and seven TVs (one of which I took outside and smashed with a hammer in prep for one scene), I also played a butler with an eyeball for a head (there's a picture of this on my profile here now). It was awesome. I'll post the video when it's ready.

Other than that, I've mostly been playing video games, productive member of society that I am. The Scarface game is awesome. NHL 2K7 is fun too but I've run into an issue where it freezes when I try to save my game in season mode now, and as much as I like beating the virtual Colorado Avalanche over and over, I'd like to advance in the season! 2k Sports (game publisher) is apparently aware of this issue (apparently a leftover from previous year 2k Sports games... good job fuckers). I need this since the real Los Angeles Kings are sucking it up all over the place. Our crappy goalie is out for the rest of the season and the OK goalie is out with an injury... again... so now we have two rookie goalies pulled up from the minors who, well, play like rookie goalies pulled up from the minors too soon. Neato factoid though: One of the new goalies is the first Japanese-born and -trained player in the NHL. He actually made a really sweet save his first game but I don't think he has it in him to support the team consistently yet. (PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE!) OK, I'll stop talking about video games and sports now.
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2007

Ah, A/C in winter. Sounds fun. It has yet to snow here, but the weather forcast says it's coming, probably this week (western PA has been getting slammed, it's only a matter of time).

Driving in the snow is not that hard. You just have to realize that you need to slow down when going around turns, and that you can't slam on the breaks at any time (so you should keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you). Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from flying around turns and tailgating, but still.

Dyre, my NHL 2k5 game had the same issue. I cannot believe that they still have not fixed it. After 3 years? Jesus. Check it out:

http://kaedrin.com/weblog/archive/000879.html

I have NHL 2006 (EA Sports) and have won a few stanley cups (thanks to star center Mark Ciocco, who racked up over 200 points last season... not to mention my roommate, who put up a respectible 175ish. Don't you love the create a player feature?) but I haven't played in a while. I've actually been playing Madden 05 a lot recently (star running back Mark Ciocco stunned the league when he ran for 38 touchdowns last year).

I'm looking to get some new games for the computer. I finished Hitman: Blood Money a while ago. Fun, in a DIAS kinda way (seriously, how the fuck am I supposed to know that I need to put a sedative in the donut box in the caterer's van because the caterer will take the donuts to the guys in the surveilance van, who will eat the donuts, pass out, and allow me to steal one of their suits, thus allowing me to enter the guarded house without arousing suspicions. Dammit, I can't even describe it without taking 4 lines of text! But it's all good. Once you get enough money, you can arm yourself to the gills and kill every motherfucker in a level (thus leaving no witnesses, heh))

I think I'm going for Oblivion next, but after that I'm not sure. Half Life 2, maybe? I'm out of the loop wrt video games...

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2007

Damnit tallman! Go get Half Life 2. Seriously!
    It's all kinds of fantastic. All kinds.

Haven't played Oblivion yet, but it certainly looks good. I'm lame, so I've been replaying the Fallout games, and playing the crap out of X-Com: UFO Defense.

If you want some classic gaming, Sierra just released collections of their old adventures games- all of the Space Quest games, all of the Police Quest games, and 8 of the Kings Quest games. At 20 bucks a collection, that's not bad. I loved me some Space Quest. *sigh*

In Michigan, you just learn to accept that for several months, the roads are going to be absolute shite. You get ice, snow, black ice, slush, rain, etc, all over the roads. We can have a foot and a half of snow on the road, and some douchebag in an SUV will still try to do seventy-plus the whole way up I-94.
    It's been weird this year, though. This is the first day we've had snow that lasted longer than a day, actually. It snowed sometime in... uh.. November, maybe? But, it only lasted one day, and was already melted. It was about fifty almost all of December, and was actually in the fifties all the way until Tuesday or so. Then, the temp dropped like a rock. It's a balmy 18 out right now, and everything is covered in ice. Ice, ice, everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfoucault
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2007

It snowed a little bit as I was leaving work tonight...first real snow this year.

Driving in snow is...it's not great, but it's doable...cut your speed way down, downshift rather than brake, go easy on turns...it's ok. It's the other drivers I worry about...just cause you have an SUV, doesn't mean you can do 70 in snow and ice...I don't care if it has 4 wheel drive, simple physics tells me that something that weighs that much isn't exactly stopping on a dime.

Does it make me a bad person that I chuckle when places in the country that are usually warm all winter are occasionally hit with freezing temperatures and snow? It's not that I have any ill will towards those people, it's just that I've lived in New England all my life, and winters here can be pretty messy...nowhere near as bad as other places, I know, but still...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDyre
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2007

Hahahaha! I've yet to make a superstar version of myself in the game but that is a fantastic use of the player creation option. I've only used it to replicate a rookie player I like that wasn't in the game. I think 2k anticipated people would do this since his name was already in a pre-set list of names you could choose from and the commentators pronounce his last name right (the goal/star-of-the-game announcer totally butchers his first name but even real stadium announcers will sometimes do that). I can't believe 2k has had the same save game issue for multiple iterations of the game. From what I've read, it's not just limited to their NHL games either: Their other sports titles have the same problem! I don't know how this stuff ever got past QA.

Anyway, tallman, you should get Half-Life 2. Don't just get it because it's awesome, get it because it's TOTALLY SWEET! I kinda want to play just thinking about it.

foucault, you're not a bad person, but you might be a little bitter. ;)
    • CommentAuthorSamael

Dyre's not lying- it is TOTALLY SWEET!

I might even go so far as to say that it's TOTALLY SWEET!!!
    That's a lot of sweet.
    I'm just saying.

Seriously, though, the pacing in Half Life 2 is spot on. Each act is just long enough to get you really into it and get you banging away enjoying it before they change it up on you and throw variation into it. It's got the best chase sequence I think I've ever played in a video game. Hell most of the first act is a chase sequence of some type or another, but cruising through the tunnels on the airboat while helicopters drop guys at you? Fucking SWEET!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer

Once people in this area realize that the road is in fact covered in ice, I think they are capable of driving on it just fine, if they're willing. But 1) I think many people down here just can't believe that's real ice on the road and requires slower driving, and 2) some people still just don't give a flip and want to drive fast no matter what because their egos are slightly bigger than their cars.

I've enjoyed the cold weather and ice, just not the overcast skies. You northern people are like cry babies in the summer. "Ohmygod it's 80 degrees! I'm gonna melt!"
    •  
      CommentAuthortallman

Dude, cold is way easier to deal with than hot. That's all I'll say.

Alright, jeeze, I'll get HL2 (to me "Fucking Sweet" is on par with "Totally Sweet"). That whole "Steam" installer thing sounds mildly annoying though:P

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2007

I'll be honest, I hated Steam at first, but it's actually not so bad. One thing I do like is that it auto updates. And, it'll auto update in chunks. So, say you're playing a bit of HL2. Steam will be updating the game in the background while you play, and you won't even notice. It gets to, say, 50% while you're playing, but you turn it off? No big deal, next time you play, it'll pick back up where it left off.

That's all I've got. Heh.