Kaedrin
You are here: Kaedrin > Forum
Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.

If you don't have an account, apply for one now. If you would really like to post before I approve your membership, you can sign in with the username "guest" and the password "guest".

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortallman
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2006

I'm typing this on my brand spankin new computer. More details, etc... to follow. It came today, a mere two weeks (give or take a few days) since I ordered it. I didn't think I'd get it by Christmas, but today was the day. It's another Festivus miracle (as it were)!

So I got it set up, then immediately sped off to babysit my nieces. They're so cute and put up a minimum of fuss. What fuss there was, I found highly amusing, so it was fun. The two year old was crying for mommy and was upset that mommy was leaving, so we put a Dora DVD on. Man that stuff is like infant crack. Immediate jaw dropped and smiles. The 4 year old still enjoys Dora, but has seen them all before and she's also pretty bright, so Dora doesn't exactly challenge her any more. Anyway, things were all fine until the word "bedtime" was uttered. The two year old cried "Nooooo, no bedtime, mommmyyyyyy" while the 4 year old, who has obviously realized the ineffectiveness of such tactics, played the "Sometimes mommy lets us stay up later if we..." card. She's pretty good, but Uncle Marky wasn't biting.

My trick for an infant crying and asking for mommy is to find a picture of said mommy and ask the infant who they're looking at. I don't think she understands the concept of photography just yet, so crying immediately ceases as she tries to figure out the various people in the photos I'm pointing out. Who's that? Mommy. Who's that? Daddy. Who's that? Pop-pop. Who's that? Uncle Marky. He's awesome, isn't he? Yeah. Heh. Anyway, that's effective until the word "bedtime" is uttered again (who keeps doing that?) In any case, we begin the bedtime rituals, which I'm told are very precise. First, we must go to the front window and say "Good night Mr. Sunshine" (this is apparently necessary despite the fact that the sun went down hours ago) then close the drapes. Then we go to the side window, and say "Good night Mr. Tree" (there is a tree directly outside of this window). As we're doing this, she's crying her face off, but still dutifully saying good night.

Her: *Waaaaa, waaaa*
    Me: Say Goodnight to Mr. Sunshine!
    Her: "Waaaa, Waaaaa, g'nite mr sunshine, Waaaa"

And so on. Then I put her in her crip, and give her her various blankies and stuffed animal friends. When I get to the last one, a Teddy Bear named Hilfie (it's a tommy hilfiger bear, apparently), I tell her that Hilfie wants to give her a hug and a kiss and needs help to fall asleep. At this point, once she's got all her blankies and stuffed animal toys, the crying has died down considerably. Hugs and kisses are given, and problem is nearly solved. She talks to herself apparently (as do a lot of infants, or so I'm told), but she's no longer crying, so I go to put the other one to bed. No real problems there, though she did con me into reading her a short bedtime story. I tucked her in, and was pretty much set for the next few hours. Not bad at all.

Of course, if anything happened, I'd be pretty clueless, but I think I did a decent enough job:P

Anywho, that's all for now. To all a happy festivus, to all a good night.

~tallman
    • CommentAuthorSamael
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2006

That sounds a lot like my experiences as Uncle Roy, too. My niece is just now 3, and, yeah, she definitely talks to herself sometimes when she's going to bed- or maybe she's talking to her stuffed animals or her blanket or something? I don't know. I do know that you can hear her sort of sing-songing away after you shut out the lights and head downstairs.
    And my niece loves "Dorda."
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpencer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2006

Awwwwww That's so adorable tallman.

My nieces (related by blood) are 4 and soon to be 3. But they live in Louisiana, so I don't have much interaction with them. The 4 year old is kind of a brat but basically a good kid. The 3 year old is a very sweet and happy child - very laid back I think.
    One of my husband's uncles has a soon to be 3 year old. She's very attached to her mother and is spoiled for attention (not material objects at least). He also has a 6 month old; she is such a happy baby who hardly ever cries. I want to steal her.

Anyway, enough about children. I don't actually want any of my own, but I still enjoy other people's kids.

I really must back up my hard drive. It's two years old.